• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Zyban's some messed up shit!

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I started taking Zyban last monday (6 days now), and holy crap am I ever HYPER! If I'm home I can't sit still, and I feel kinda spacey from time to time. But thus far, it hasn't been a terrible experience.

Curious to hear some members success/horror stories. Also, did any of you experience teeth grinding while sleeping? Think it might just be the stress.:(

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
i did the zyban thing 5 years ago, and i haven't had a smoke since!

the first 10 days were absolute hell.... heart palpitations, teeth grinding, brutal headaches, and nausea, but then it all calmed down.
still felt 'speedy' for a while, but nowhere near as bad.

but i didn't *want* to smoke, for the first time in 13 years, so i stayed on it, through the horrible start, and it worked wonderfully for me, in the end.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
zyban was originally an anti-depressant medication. They discovered it was a aid for ceasing smoking by accident.

during the trials people kept reporting that they stopped smoking.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
i did the zyban thing 5 years ago, and i haven't had a smoke since!

the first 10 days were absolute hell.... heart palpitations, teeth grinding, brutal headaches, and nausea, but then it all calmed down.

but i didn't *want* to smoke, for the first time in 13 years, so i stayed on it, through the horrible start, and it worked wonderfully for me, in the end.
Glad to hear a story like this...and I'm glad the teeth grinding isn't just the stress of things right now. (work related)
Just counting down the first 10 days! Thanks for the added confidence grumblegirl!
*edit* How far into taking the drug did you decide to quit? After one week? two?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Although I understand the value of having help in ridding yourself of an addiction, isn't using something like Zyban simply supplementing one crutch for another?

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
Although I understand the value of having help in ridding yourself of an addiction, isn't using something like Zyban simply supplementing one crutch for another?

Good question! Is Zyban addictive? Anyone know?

I've managed to quit smoking twice cold turkey. First time I made it 1 1/2 Years, the second 10 months. I know I can't go through all that again, hence the Zyban.

They say it takes a few attempts before actually quitting for good. I f'ing hope this is it. I'm never going to put my guard down again. BOO SMOKING!

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
well it is an anti-depressant... that shit fucks with your head.

I quit smoking 6 days ago... in 12 hours it will be 7 days! woohoo!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
smoothop - i found i couldn't finish a full cigarette without feeling kinda ill after only a few days on it. after a week, i couldn't even light them. i started zyban 10 days before my quit date, and by that day i had already gone a full day without smoking.
but i had set my quit date about 5 months before, and i was REALLY committed to quitting (just lacked the self-control to get thru the first bit).

and OTIS - you don't get addicted to zyban. it doesn't provide you anything other than nausea and nastiness, aside from not wanting to smoke! it helps you to get over the physical addiction first, and then helps you deal with the psychological aspect, and you build new habits to replace the cigarette-related ones.

i was on it for about 4 months - i wanted to be absolutely sure i was clear of the habit, before going it on my own. and i haven't given in since.
funnily enough - y'know how most smokers gain a bit of weight when they're quitting smoking [mostly cuz without smokes, how do you really know when a meal is over?????] - i gained that weight when i went off the ZYBAN!

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
SmoothOperator said:
Good question! Is Zyban addictive? Anyone know?

I've managed to quit smoking twice cold turkey. First time I made it 1 1/2 Years, the second 10 months. I know I can't go through all that again, hence the Zyban.

They say it takes a few attempts before actually quitting for good. I f'ing hope this is it. I'm never going to put my guard down
again. BOO SMOKING!
it was the same sort of story for me.
i had tried and failed, and was totally determined not to fail again, but couldn't deal with the pain of cold turkey, and i knew it.

i approach cigs this way now: i can never have another one. EVER.
i *know* that if i have one, then the next day i'll convince myself that obviously i'm 'over my addiction' and able to have 'just one', so the next time i want one, i'll have 'just one', and then... well... if i can have one, i'm sure two isn't a problem... and then it's just a hop skip and jump to smoking regularly again. i figure i'd be back at it within a month of that first smoke. so - i will never have that first smoke.

edit: and no - it is NOT addictive.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
Well that sounds much more reasonable than the 4-5 days it takes to get over smoking!

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
Well that sounds much more reasonable than the 4-5 days it takes to get over smoking!
the time i tried it cold turkey before that - i physically attacked someone for a cigarette.
as in - lost it completely and tackled him.

trust me - it was far better than the alternative. :D

besides - the memory of it is so ingrained, it's additional reason for me to never go back to smoking cuz i NEVER want to have to quit again!

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
smoothop - i found i couldn't finish a full cigarette without feeling kinda ill after only a few days on it.
Yep, that's where I'm at now. Throwing out my smoke half way through it. Blech! I should also add that tonight's the highest I've felt since I started :D At work...and kinda ditzy. Not good. AND I have a job interview on Tuesday!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
and OTIS - you don't get addicted to zyban. it doesn't provide you anything other than nausea and nastiness, aside from not wanting to smoke! it helps you to get over the physical addiction first, and then helps you deal with the psychological aspect, and you build new habits to replace the cigarette-related ones.
You do realize the meaning of supplement right? That being said, and acknowledged, my point being that if you stop with the Zyban, do you start with the cigarette cravings again? Or is it all placebo?

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
just keep truckin' thru the next week or so... the side effects will calm down, and you won't be smoking anymore! jackpot!

edit: for smoothy

edit2: otis - *i* didn't have cravings until last year when i moved back to ottawa - a place where i had been a smoker the last time i had lived here. i was physically helped with the cravings by the zyban, and they were kept at bay long enough to develop better strategies for living smoke-free.. e.g. i stopped feeling like nothing was really 'done' until i'd had a cigarette.
but that's just me. i am only one person. everyone will have a different experience with it.

Last edited:

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
you don't 'quit' zyban. you just go off it slowly. (too fast and you have the same side effects as when you first went on it.)
there is no addiction to it, so there's nothing to quit. you just stop taking it when you feel able to say 'no' to cigarettes on your own.

and, btw - it IS an anti-depressant, but that does NOT mean that it will make you happy. that is not what anti-depressants do. they simply make life a little easier to COPE with, for those who are suffering from clinical depression. for 'normal' people, they don't do anything, other than sometimes having a placebo effect.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
pehaps, but at least this crutch doesn't cause lung cancer.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Is Zyban covered by health insurance if you use it to quit smoking? If not, what's the cost?

And, if you still *like* smoking... as in, quitting would be easy, if only you didn't actually enjoy having a cigarette during certain activities. I've gone the occasional week without smoking at all, no cravings, no withdrawal symptoms, but I still like smoking... and so I still do it. BUT, I know it's extremely bad for you, and I'd like to feel like I'm not 'missing out on something good' if I stop smoking for good.

Does Zyban make you NOT want to smoke? I've been thinking I should just get hypnotized. The benefits would be two-fold, I'd be healthier, AND I'd drink less ;)

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Who said it takes 4-5 days to quit smoking?? Are you insane??

Did the Zyban thing and had absolutely no ill affects. Guess I was one of the lucky ones..Had not had a smoke for over three months... No withdrawal..and yes, gemini I also started to gain the weight after I stopped Zyban which is why I started going to the gym :p .. And had no problem giving up Zyban. It's not covered by OHIP, but if you have a plan at work they may cover one session (about 3 months). It's about $100 a month, so well worth it.

But then X-mas came. We were spending the holidays at my sisters where everyone smokes..and decided to indulge, just this one time.. STUPID!!! I can't smoke. I know that I can never be a social smoker..erg..

So, I will look into Wellbutrin. My work won't cover the cost of another session of Zyban, but Wellbutrin is the same shit under a different name and cheaper....Lord, when you factor the cost of cigarettes, even the cost of Zyban is cheaper in the long term...

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
for what it's worth, wellbutrin was the only SSRI that did not give me nasty withdrawal effects. getting myself off of paxil, for example, kept me bedridden with tremors, eye-twiches and nausea (which sucks when your mood is elevated enough to quit the drugs and go out and see the world again!).

the quitting smoking was an awesome bonus. unfortunately, you can smoke in coffee-shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, everywhere in japan - and because cigs are $2.70 canadian and available absolutely everywhere, i'm coming home stinking of smoke again.

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
also, check the classifieds in NOW - i saw MANY 'quit smoking using bupropion' studies needing participants coming out of CAMH. probably one ad every six weeks.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories