• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Zoo, Rejenerate and other Tori fans..

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Fourtet's track "Unspoken" on the new disc "Rounds" is totally a rip-off of "Winter," right?
I need Tori fans to agree with me because no one I knows what I'm talking about.

Download it and let me know if you hear what I hear. I'm curious to know if anyone else thinks this.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Joey, why don't you just go and rekindle those memories of us making out a few years back and then get back to me at how gay I am. Thanks.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
sunny i've never noticed that, i'll check it out right now

but i don't think so [if i remember unspoken correctly]

i never remember four tet's track names, i just listen to the cd through

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

zoo

TRIBE Member
just heard them both, and the riff tori amos uses is faster, with the exact same spacing of the notes, and both samples are in the same key ...

i googled it and pitchfork gave me this:

Verging on the lugubrious is the nine-minute "Unspoken" (whose piano riff is lifted from, of all sources, Tori Amos' "Winter"), but Hebden's touch keeps it from morass. Here, he controls his ingredients-- fictitious soundbytes of early Gato Barbieri sax, a plaintive finger or two from McCoy Tyner, broken chimes, backwards feedback, and a DJ Shadow kickdrum-- keeping them at a contemplative simmer, rather than allowing them to come to a full boil.
nice conncection sunny, i'm kinda surprised i never noticed it :0)

zoo

TRIBE Member
diff'rent strokes ;0)

i'm a long time tori fan, but i can see why many people wouldn't like her ...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
just heard them both, and the riff tori amos uses is faster, with the exact same spacing of the notes, and both samples are in the same key ...

i googled it and pitchfork gave me this:

nice conncection sunny, i'm kinda surprised i never noticed it :0)
Oh wow! So it was actually written about?

Nice. I put the new Fourtet on a cd and was on the subway and couldn't figure out who it was. And I thought, "did I download a remix of Winter?"

But then looked at the ID3 tag and wondered if he used that piano riff as a sample. For sure the notes are the same (even the pre-notes before the melody ones. Fuck, I haven't taken music theory in a long time! I wish I still knew the vocab) but the rhythm is different.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: some people should not have money

Originally posted by zoo
i thought her father was a priest
Yeah, and he brought her around to gay bars where she did piano gigs.

She was also homecoming queen!

kat

TRIBE Member
yaa i didnt notice that..but i only got to listen to the new four tet album a couple of times.

i like tori amos. but my knowledge of her work is only represented through a smallish bunch of mp3s i have of hers. i'd pick up one of her cds - but i dont even know where to start. its a secret shame :(

zoo

TRIBE Member
it's the exact same piano sample used

it was slowed down and may have been EQ filtered a tiny bit for un-polishing / added roughness which fourtet has in his sound

actually searching for "four tet rounts tori amos winter" came up with tons of results

quite a few reviewers caught this ...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
Was there ever a thread discussing the last album? If not, shall we?
Tales from a Librarian looks really good. I like the track selection. I haven't listened to it but would like to. I don't want to purchase it if there isn't signifcant differences in the remastering. But I hear that Toriphiles HATE it especially because it includes Armand Van Helden's remix of Professional Widow. I went BALLISTIC on the Tori boards about that one. Hehe. That was one of the first singles I bought because I heard it on an episode of Electric Circus. It was an Winterlude thing in Ottawa and I was like, "WHOA, that sounds like Tori?" And I had JUST got into her Caught a Lite Sneeze video. So I quickly searched for what the lyrics were then found it in Boys.

Yay!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
yaa i didnt notice that..but i only got to listen to the new four tet album a couple of times.

i like tori amos. but my knowledge of her work is only represented through a smallish bunch of mp3s i have of hers. i'd pick up one of her cds - but i dont even know where to start. its a secret shame :(
I will burn you stuff. Tomorrow if I can. I will make you a cd of my favourite Tori songs. And I will burn you Little Earthquakes and Boys for Pele. That's where everyone should start.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
i'd pick up one of her cds - but i dont even know where to start. its a secret shame :(
little earthquakes
under the pink
boys for pele
from the choirgirl hotel
scarlett's walk

plus albums:

to venus and back [kind of b-sides, but not really, plus a live cd]
strange little girls [covers]
tales of a librarian [best-of type cd, songs picked by her]

i guess if you're going to -start- somewhere, tales of a librarian is not a bad place, since it covers her entire career

i think overall "from the choirgirl hotel" is my favorite ...

kat

TRIBE Member
thanks zoo & sunny

ive heard most of the covers album and bits and pieces of the others.

i will slowly start my collection..uhh when i have money.

sunny, the burned copies would be mega-awesome in the meantime :)
see you tonight?

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: some people should not have money

Originally posted by MoFo
Yeah, and he brought her around to gay bars where she did piano gigs.

She was also homecoming queen!
A minister, not a priest! Priests can't get married and have children...at least in Catholicism, right?

So I don't get the money comment at all.

I have Tales, and while the tracks weren't changed a whole lot, there are definitely things you notice...the vocal tracks are turned up, some background vocals have been added, in "God" you can hear the Biblical proverb that was previously hard to hear, strings in "Baker Baker," stuff like that. Not essential, but nice to have. Plus there are two new songs, two completely re-done b-sides and a DVD.

~jen