1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Zombie fruit-flies and other science questions

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by erika, Jul 15, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

So.
    I have my great little fruit-fly trap (glass with stuff inside and plastic wrap on top with slits), and it's working fine.

I notice how fruit-flies gravitate to raspberries, have some that are going off, so as my latest batch of trap material, throw some raspberries in a bit of oj. They like oj and it prevents the raspberries from drying out.
    Success - so far so good.

Then, several days later, I get up one morning and notice all these brownish-white dried up bits of things on top of the plastic wrap.
    There are still fruit flies inside the glass, but I'm curious. I pour a bit of water on the plastic wrap and the brownish white bits start to come alive and slither slowly around on the plastic wrap!!!

Creepy... I get rid of those. The mix in the glass is still good, so I leave it there, collect more fruit flies. This evening I come home from work and it's happened again AND I notice my fruit/juice on the inside of the glass is now pure viscous liquid, like a raspberry coloured cesspool for mutant evolution.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Paging SK8 or someone who would know.

And also, the ivy crawling up my brick walls starts to make noise at this time of year; no, I'm not going insane (at least not with respect to this): it happens every year - I don't know if it's the viney part digging into the brick, or the seeds it's growing, but it's pretty weird.

Anyone know?

In other nature-related news, I was enjoying my hammock last week-end when a bird flew over and peed AND shat on my face, chest and newspaper.

Ah, life in the wild :p

2. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

I feel bad but I always laugh at the photos of Drosophilia with legs where their antennae should be. HOX FTW!

3. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I too have heard this, and I finally witnessed it this evening- it's the ivy giving up it's seeds. It's actually pretty cool, the shape of the leaves propels the seeds like a little ramp out and away from the wall. I suppose the sound is the seeds landing on the leaves. Thousands of them were coming down all at once!

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    thank you - at least one mystery solved :)

5. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

With the fruit flies it sounds like the outside-the-trap-fruit-flies like your rotten raspberries so much they are laying eggs on top of your trap. Normally they would lay in rotting fruit. They will hatch in like 12 hours in the right temperatures. The wiggly bits are the larva. I would get rid of the fruit and go with just liquid so it's less attractive as an egg depository.

It's good brad knew the ivy one cause I had no clue.

but I do know that birds pee and shit at the same time - everything mixes together in the cloaca. So I don't know if it makes you feel better but it was only one act on the part of the bird, not two that hit you.

and also - I'd really like a hammock.

6. erika

erika TRIBE Member

7. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Does that include peacocks? I'm asking because I sat under a tree with a peacock in it at the zoo last year and I was rewarded with a massive gushing of what seemed to be pee. I was soaked, but the liquid was clear and fairly odourless. . .

8. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

That would just ruin your day. Talk about being in the wrong place......

9. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

If it had nothing in it's intestines it would have just been "pee", which is not the same as our urea-type pee, because it's semi-solid uric acid (the white stuff you see in bird crap). Depending on it's current hydration levels and the species it can be more or less watery.

10. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Gotcha. Well that's better for me because I know a bird pooping on your head is a good luck sign, however I never heard the same about pee. I was slightly disappointed to get the wrong substance. Now that I know it is the same thing I feel much better about my now lucky disgusting ordeal. :p

11. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

we set out a jar of apple cidar vinegar and dishsoap for our fruitflies...no lid or anything. it seems to be working, although we didnt really have that many.

apple cidar vinegar, the cure for everything ;)

12. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

i think the scientific phrase for this phenomena is "you got the cooties".

13. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

So last night I opened the garbage in the kitchen and Shizzzam! I am swarmed with a blast of Fruit fly’s. Them Bastards have invaded my garbage. Now I have been chasing these lil pricks ever since. They have migrated to various parts of the house and its driving me nuckin futs.
    I have come to the conclusion that I need a composter which would remove the rotting food from my garbage, any suggestions. I don't want to use that stupid green box thing, and I don't have a huge yard to hide it in. Would it be rude if I stuck one in the corner of my yard next to the neighbour’s deck? On my side of the fence of course.