• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Zipping files... ?

AshG

So i'm trying to transfer this file with a floppy, and as its 4.1M, i though the thing to do would be to zip it, then unzip it in the computer i actually need it on(which is not connected to the internet).

My zip program zips it to a file size of 4.07M.
Am i just stupid, or is this kind of ridiculously useless compression ratio to be expected?

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Depends on what you are zipping.

Already compressed formats like mp3's, gifs, jpegs, will not compress much more.

Raw files like bitmaps or raw text will format much smaller.

What you can do is grab a program like WinRAR and you can break it up into a few smaller .rar files that will fit on a disc. Then put them all in the same folder and extract the original to peice it all back toether..

AshG

Originally posted by Chubbs
Depends on what you are zipping.

Already compressed formats like mp3's, gifs, jpegs, will not compress much more.

Raw files like bitmaps or raw text will format much smaller.

What you can do is grab a program like WinRAR and you can break it up into a few smaller .rar files that will fit on a disc. Then put them all in the same folder and extract the original to peice it all back toether..

ok, thanks - i'll try that.
it is indeed an mp3, so that might be the reason.