• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

ze scuttlebutt: lazy edition (nhl rumours)

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Latest trade rumours around the NHL

To Florida: Eric Brewer
To Edmonton: Viktor Kozlov

This blew my mind when I saw this.. Brewer for Kozlov? Kozlov spends more time on the DL then he does on the ice. This would be typical of Edmonton though - trading rugged North American players for Europeans (Anson Carter for Radek Dvorak). Brewer would likely fetch someone of greater value in my opinion. Not sure why JF Jr. hasn't looked into the possibility of landing Brewer in Toronto (for Kaberle)..... Brewer is Quinn's kind of player.

To Toronto: Sergei Gonchar, Trent Whitfield and Robert Lang
To Washington: Pierre Hedin, Tomas Kaberle, Kyle Wellwood and Nik Antropov

I had to take a double-take just in case I misread it. Nope - there it was right in front of my eyes. Wellwood and Hedin, fine.. Wellwood is too small for Pat Quinn so he wouldn't get much of a look from Quinn and we have some solid up and comers in defenseman (Coliacoavo, Brendan Bell, Ian White, Maxim Kondratiev, etc).. As for Kaberle AND Antropov? First of all, I wouldn't trade either for Gonchar unless the Leafs sign Gonchar to a long-term deal (restricted free agent @ years end) but then again, the Leafs look like they are going for it this year. Lang they would get a TRUE 2nd line center who would play between Nolan and Nieuwendyk to form quite a sweet 2nd line. Whitfield? He'd be a throw in to restore some of the youth that Toronto would give up. Never know though, that's why they're called "rumours"..

To Buffalo: Alexei Kovalev
To New York Rangers: Maxim Afinogenov and Derek Roy

Buffalo would receive a compliment to sniper Miro (all hail) Satan and New York would receive 2 players in the calibre of Stajan (Roy) and Ponikarovsky (Afinogenov). New York is looking to rebuild as the playoffs keep slipping away (like every year) so it looks like Sather will bite the bullet and try to deal off some of his underachieving, over-paid superstars. Doesn't make much sense for Buffalo though. Even though a playoff spot is still within their grasp, I don't see Kovalev landing there. Buffalo doesn't want to pay Satan $4m but are willing to get Kovalev for over $6m?

To Colorado: Olaf Kolzig
To Washington: Martin Skoula

Surprise, surprise... Don't think this is going to happen but I do believe that Colorado will indeed get a proven (backup) goalie. At the expense of Skoula? I think Washington might want some younger talent WITH Skoula (like Cody McCormick or Riku Hahl). If the Rangers falter - what about Mike Dunham? I would... Poor Skoula - atleast it's not Tanguay.

To Florida: Yanic Perreault
To Montreal: Kristian Huselius

Montreal should hold on to Perreault if I were them - he's a champ faceoff man. Huselius may be young and very talented but talent doesn't always win you championships, or even games (cough.. Rangers..) I thought Gainey wanted to get "big" and not small? Florida is looking for a top faceoff man and Perreault could be the key - but Florida also wants a Top-2 defenseman - something Montreal really doesn't have (yet) unless you consider Breeze-By, I mean Brisebois that.. Montreal is also looking for big defenseman and have been rumored to be zeroing in on either former Hab Sean Hill or Keith Carney.

To Boston: Jason Arnott
To Dallas: Brian Rolston

With a few Boston players becoming either restricted or unrestricted free agents this year, look for Boston to try and rid themselves of some contracts (much like they did with Berard, Khristich, Guerin, etc..) Dallas is trying to shed a bit of salary and by adding such a defensive gem in Rolston, Dallas would gladly give up Arnott. My question is - if Boston wants to get rid of Rolston because of his status this summer and their unwillingness to pay big salaries - why would they want Arnott? He's not cheap.....

To New York Rangers: Roman Turek, Denis Gauthier & Josh Green
To Calgary: Jed Ortmeyer, Dale Purinton, Jamie Lundmark, Dan Lacouture and David Inamn

I thought New York was looking to get younger? If they trade Ortmeyer, Lundmark and co. for Turek - how do they get younger? I WANT them to do this - but it's not going to happen....

To Boston: Jeff O'Neill
To Carolina: Sergei Samsonov & draft pick

I could see O'Neill alongside Joe Thornton and Glen Murray to form one of the most "powerful" lines in the NHL but I can't see Boston picking up the money that Oneill is making. Samsonov is oft-injured, that's why Boston would have to throw an extra pick in the deal. Can't really see this happen - but don't you think O'Neill would look good lined up with Nolan and Nieuwendyk?

To Vancouver: Maxim Afinogenov
To Buffalo: Brent Sopel

I know Vancouver has a 'plethora' of good defensemen, but this would be silly. Afinogenov was "supposed to be" the next Pavel Bure but he looks more like Sergei Berezin.. Sopel is a big, strong and young defensemen on the 'Nucks that could definitely package Sopel with another youngster and land some immediate forward help - proven help that is. Why not for Andrew Cassells? I could see a reunion happening...

To Washington: Nikolai Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky
To Toronto: Sergei Gonchar

These will not end. You will see many combinations surrounding these Leafs - Stajan, Coliacaovo, Antropov, Kaberle, Kyle Wellwood and Ponikarovsky to land either Gonchar, or Gonchar and Lang or Gonchar, Lang, Brendan Witt, etc.. I would do this even though I still believe in two-left-feet Antropov and "Pony" looks "on the cusp" this year.. But Gonchar is what the Leafs have been lacking but even if they land Gonchar, they need a stay-at-home defenseman (cough.. missed on Boughner.. cough..) like Boughner, Jason Smith, Keith Carney or Brendan Witt if they plan to go far this year in the playoffs.. Calling Yushkevich? Phone call for Dmitri Yushkevich! ;)

Everyone is wondering why Toronto hasn't made any trades since watching teams they are competing against has stockpiled (Ottawa = Bondra, Rob Ray - Philly = Zhamnov, Markov). Two words for all y'all in tribesville..... Chris Pronger Personally, I believe JFJr is in the hunt for a BONAFIDE STUD defenseman and his love for the Prong dates back to when JFJr worked in the Blues organization. There has been some talk that Pronger is available and if that's the case - look for Toronto to push (since they lost out on Blake a couple of years back and Hatcher in the Summer). Don't quote me on it but don't be surprised if there's atleast some inquiries made... actually.... this is the 'hot pick' of the month!

To Montreal: Craig Conroy
To Calgary: Yanic Perreault

This wouldn't work due to finances but if it's true - why is Bob Gainey sleeping?

Don't be surprised if Ottawa adds more grit.. There's rumours circulating around that Matthew Barnaby will land there - don't be surprised if it happens. How about Chris Simon?

Look for NY Rangers to start dumping some of their players.. Players that come to mind? Peter Nedved (Philly is interested), Alexei Kovalev (Detroit is VERY interested), Matthew Barnaby (Ottawa), Chris Simon (?) and Brian Leetch (Toronto). As one Toronto Sun columnist points out (Mike Ulmer), Leetch would cost the Leafs Coliacaovo and a first round pick and he says we should do it.. I say he should be fired... If we planned to give up that much youth, I'd want someone back who could still play at least another 5 years... What a dolt...

Fattyp's list

Here is a list of players I expect to be moved between now and the trade deadline and whom I think will pick up their services... Again, this is purely speculative...

Adam Oates [EDM] - Could he once again lead another team to the Cup? How about Nashville, Boston (again) or even Calgary (even though Edmonton & Calgary don't like to trade with each other)

Rod Brind'amour [CAR] - Jersey is looking at him since they lost out on Zhamnov. Pat Burns type of player..

Sergei Gonchar [WSH] - Will land in the T-Dot at the expense of some youngsters

Robert Lang [WSH] - Perfect fit would be Detroit - but does Detroit have youngsters to give (since they gave the farm away to LA last year for Schneider)?

Lyle Odelein [FLA] - Could be veteran-blueline help that many teams are looking for - Nashville?

Nikolai Antropov [TOR] - St.Louis or Washington - will be packaged for either Gonchar or Oneill

Jeff Oneill [CAR] - Either St.Louis, Boston or Toronto

Olaf Kolzig [WSH] - Either Colorado or New York Rangers

Brendan Witt [WSH] - Good fit for New Jersey

Keith Carney [ANA] - If not Witt, Carney could land in Jersey - but what about Toronto?

Tommy Salo - Lost his grip at being the No.: 1 goalie in Edmonton - could he backup Aebischer in Colorado? Hasn't been the same since the knuckleball handcuffed him in the Olympics..

I'm sure there will be many new and interesting rumours to surface over the next little while..

NHL Trade Deadline is March 9, 2004 @ 3:00pm.

I'll do the signings, waivers and trades in a little while...

take care & comb yer hair.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

patri©k

TRIBE Member
well I see you've hopped on the 'smith&brewer' bandwagon that I was talking about a couple weeks ago.

;)

nah. I read up on the shit. everything from sportingnews to tsn. wires are usually running on the desktop.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Adam

TRIBE Member
haha..yep.

I think the Smith/Brewer combination would be fantastic...the Leafs should definitely get on that train.

Trading away Antrocop is fine, as long as it's in a package for Gonchar. I don't mind the guy, but he's made of glass.

I wouldn't trade Stajan away...unless there was an unbelievable (ie, Pronger) offer on the table. Gonchar is not worth giving away Stajan.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Leafs consistently give up their youth. Although they could get some good coinage for Stajan, I'd say keep him. He really wants to play in Toronto and would excel here most.

Some other way to receive Gonchar (Lang or even Pronger) would be better.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Stajan isn't going anywhere. He's one of the best young players in the league.

The Leafs would be smart to try and dump a vetran player for a solid blue liner so they can make a serious run for the cup.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Nice one ratp!

Well, I hope the Leafs do what you suggested, I have been thinking Pronger as well, since it looks that the Walmart Blues will not be re-signing Pronger next year.

Carney would be awesome as well.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Adam

TRIBE Member
Plus, the Blues just fired Quenville.

That's never a good sign when you're about the enter the homestretch of the playoff race.

I've also heard that Pronger's currently pissed at the Blues, and he might be primed for a trade.

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by patri©k
Latest trade rumours around the NHL

Everyone is wondering why Toronto hasn't made any trades since watching teams they are competing against has stockpiled (Ottawa = Bondra, Rob Ray - Philly = Zhamnov, Markov). Two words for all y'all in tribesville..... Chris Pronger Personally, I believe JFJr is in the hunt for a BONAFIDE STUD defenseman and his love for the Prong dates back to when JFJr worked in the Blues organization. There has been some talk that Pronger is available and if that's the case - look for Toronto to push (since they lost out on Blake a couple of years back and Hatcher in the Summer). Don't quote me on it but don't be surprised if there's atleast some inquiries made... actually.... this is the 'hot pick' of the month!

Will my prayers finally be answered? :D

I have been saying he is exactly the type of player the leafs need to make another deep playoff run. Please oh hockey gods, let this one be!

Preroller

TRIBE Member
The New York Post is reporting that the Devils are interested in acquiring center Steve Rucchin from the Mighty Ducks.
New Jersey is also said to be interested in trading for Rob Niedermayer (Scott's younger brother) and Keith Carney. Christian Berglund, who is almost recovered form a hip injury that has kept him out of action for the last six weeks, may be part of the compensation going Anaheim's way. Stay tuned.