• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yummmmmy! furry blonde lobster

coleridge

TRIBE Member
New animal resembles furry lobster

PARIS, France (AP) -- Divers have discovered a new crustacean in the South Pacific that resembles a lobster and is covered with what looks like silky, blond fur, French researchers said Tuesday.

Scientists said the animal, which they named Kiwa hirsuta, was so distinct from other species that they created a new family and genus for it.

A team of American-led divers found the animal in waters 2,300 meters (7,540 feet) deep at a site 1,500 kilometers (900 miles) south of Easter Island last year, according to Michel Segonzac of the French Institute for Sea Exploration.

The new crustacean is described in the journal of the National Museum of Natural History in Paris.

The animal is white and 15 centimeters (5.9 inches) long -- about the size of a salad plate.

In what Segonzac described as a "surprising characteristic," the animal's pincers are covered with sinuous, hair-like strands.

It's also blind. The researchers found it had only "the vestige of a membrane" in place of eyes, Segonzac said.

The researchers said that while legions of new ocean species are discovered each year, it is quite rare to find one that merits a new family.

The family was named Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology.

The diving expedition was organized by Robert Vrijenhoek of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California.

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
I wonder if you could get a coat made out of that golden fur, or at the very least a scarf?!?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Got to love the CNN poll:

Would you eat a blond, furry lobster?

a: Never

b: I only like redheads

c: Only with extra butter

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Liquidity said:
i'm guessing those hairs act as some kinda sensor...?
Since it's found in the deep sea, where there is virtually no light, it's probably how it sees what's moving around him.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
for some reason it looks really creepy to me, i love lobster, but i don't think i'd ever eat that

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

nawberry

TRIBE Member
A hobby of mine is to make homemade versions of deep-sea discoveries.

I have made all sort of new-found invertebrates out of jello.

After reading this thread, I tried to make myself my own one of these furry lobsters to be my new pet.

To do so I used a crayfish, some white glue, and and old blonde wig that I cut into small pieces to use as the silky blong fur.

From afar it looks just like the new silky furred crustacean, but up close you can tell it is just an adorned crayfish.

Poot

TRIBE Member
^^You should check the Lewiscraft at Yonge and Bloor for more convincing adornments.

I note that it's going out of business, and how better to bid adieu to Dorothy than by purchasing the last of their quality glues and synthetic hair items?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see a battle between the giant rabbit and the funfur lobster