• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Your predictions about the legalization of weed...

What will happen with the legalization of weed in Canada in 2017? U can choose more than one answer.

• Will be legalized for medical use only, supplied by government approved suppliers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will be legalized for medical use only, supplied by anyone.

• Medical use will be made illegal again pending more study.

• Will be legalized for medical AND recreational use only, supplied by gov approved distribution.

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Will be legalized for medical AND recreational use only, supplied by anyone.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Decision will be postponed for further study into next election year or beyond.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Laws will be tightened and penalties increased for non-medical use.

• Specific government approved distributors will be selected.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
While some are excited about the possibility of weed becoming legal in Canada, some think this is just a way for the government to design laws to turn weed into a revenue tool.

I am of the opinion that politicians, no matter who they are, consistently lie. Making promises and breaking them is what politicians do 100% of the time, so anyone would be foolish to believe a word coming out of their mouths about anything.

Anyway, lets do a poll (pole!) to see what everyone thinks will happen with the weed situation in Canada next year, and we can look back on it next year to see how right or wrong we were about the legalization of weed in Canada...

I may not have all the potential outcomes here so if you can think of another, let me know...

praktik

TRIBE Member
While some are excited about the possibility of weed becoming legal in Canada, some think this is just a way for the government to design laws to turn weed into a revenue tool.
Yknow things can be more than one thing at a time - the fact its a revenue tool is a GOOD thing

Cause right now we are paying a huge opportunity cost every day its not legal which can mean more services or less taxes for us in other areas. Thats a moral price too if you think of the good this money could be doing that it isn't today.

On top of that we pay enforcement costs and judicial costs on top of the opportunity costs - horribly inefficient policy.

If some cynic says this is "only a revenue tool for government" in service of some cynical fatalism, they should shut up about everything for always.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Note that in your poll options, medical marijuana is already approved in canada and further backed by supreme court precedent.

So its already effectively legal for medical here.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Note that in your poll options, medical marijuana is already approved in canada and further backed by supreme court precedent.

So its already effectively legal for medical here.
Well, that hasn't stopped previous governments from making laws in spite of supreme court rulings.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Yknow things can be more than one thing at a time - the fact its a revenue tool is a GOOD thing

Cause right now we are paying a huge opportunity cost every day its not legal which can mean more services or less taxes for us in other areas. Thats a moral price too if you think of the good this money could be doing that it isn't today.

On top of that we pay enforcement costs and judicial costs on top of the opportunity costs - horribly inefficient policy.

If some cynic says this is "only a revenue tool for government" in service of some cynical fatalism, they should shut up about everything for always.
I agree with all that, however we are speculating in this pole what might actually happen next year, if anything.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well, that hasn't stopped previous governments from making laws in spite of supreme court rulings.
That got slapped down - so now the right to access medical marijuana is essentially protected.

Issue was government was overly restrictive and now is past the deadline given by the SC to make a new legislative attempt at medical use.

Its this decision which the dispensaries are going to rely on when they go to court.

djfear

TRIBE Member
The cats out of the bag in my opinion. When you state you're going to legalize it and then brick and mortar stores start popping up everywhere it's going to be too late to back pedal on it. The only thing that might happen is they may drag their feet on some legislation, but you've already seen what happens with that - places get raided and people genuinely get upset about the raids because the government says one thing and doesn't address the legislative issues quickly enough.

It'll happen, it'll all be legal, and it'll be regulated, but less so than alcohol because it's much easier to grow marijuana vs make alcohol.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I think worse case Ontario we'll see it sold in LCBOs, and sourced through the existing Licensed Producers. Concentrates and edibles will remain illegal, as well as home growing. I don't like this as I hear nothing but complaints from the medical users about the current LP's (poor quality, lack of inventory, lack of selection etc). I don't see the LCBO as having any actual cannabis knowledge, and I think if I can grow tobacco or brew my own beer at home, then why not this plant.

What I would like to see is similar to the Colorado model - individual store fronts sourced by independent (or not) growers. Concentrates, edibles and home growing is permitted.

There's a general consensus amongst the community that we'll start seeing more of a framework emerging this coming Spring. But yes, we've all been fooled before..