• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Your favorite things

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
In South Africa for a few weeks to put my house on the market. Doing a bit of treasure hunting while I am here. While in the water today I just marveled at how fucking amazing my metal detecting gear is - I mean it's electronics and I immerse these detectors in seawater for hours at a time, getting smacked around by huge waves, and they just work, every time.

It got me thinking, there are only a few things that I own that are just so absolutely well designed and reliable that I trust them completely. Here is my list of my favorite things. What are yours?

Minelab Excalibur II metal detector - used by the top treasure hunters on the planet, they just work. My Excals have probably found a full kilo of gold for me by now.

Whites Dual Field Surf Pi metal detector - used by fewer people, this specialized bit of gear is built by hand at a small family owned company in Sweet Home, Oregon (not kidding about the name of the place). This thing will find a needle in a haystack, and usually more than one.

Technics 1200 MK II - I have used them since they first came out. I was just starting out as a disco DJ when they were released and they were like something from another world, functional sculptures and musical instruments that played music even after having drinks spilled all over them. I still own two.

Sony MDR 7506 Headphones - Mark Oliver turned me on to these back in the early 90's. There is a reason sound crews and journos use them. They are battle tested. The only thing I don't like about them is the ear pads tend to flake in the tropics, but still, the sound is always pristine and you can wear them for days in full comfort.

Let me think of some more stuff...

praktik

TRIBE Member
In South Africa for a few weeks to put my house on the market. Doing a bit of treasure hunting while I am here. While in the water today I just marveled at how fucking amazing my metal detecting gear is - I mean it's electronics and I immerse these detectors in seawater for hours at a time, getting smacked around by huge waves, and they just work, every time.

It got me thinking, there are only a few things that I own that are just so absolutely well designed and reliable that I trust them completely. Here is my list of my favorite things. What are yours?

Minelab Excalibur II metal detector - used by the top treasure hunters on the planet, they just work. My Excals have probably found a full kilo of gold for me by now.

Whites Dual Field Surf Pi metal detector - used by fewer people, this specialized bit of gear is built by hand at a small family owned company in Sweet Home, Oregon (not kidding about the name of the place). This thing will find a needle in a haystack, and usually more than one.

Technics 1200 MK II - I have used them since they first came out. I was j
ust starting out as a disco DJ when they were released and they were like something from another world, functional sculptures and musical instruments that played music even after having drinks spilled all over them. I still own two.

Sony MDR 7506 Headphones - Mark Oliver turned me on to these back in the early 90's. There is a reason sound crews and journos use them. They are battle tested. The only thing I don't like about them is the ear pads tend to flake in the tropics, but still, the sound is always pristine and you can wear them for days in full comfort.

Let me think of some more stuff...
Also love my 1200s - even more since they were tuned up and given YELLOW LED:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
But hey practik, in 20 years will your Starwars GPU still even work? I guess my point in this thread is to discuss stuff that continues to work for you, no matter what else in the world has changed.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
But hey practik, in 20 years will your Starwars GPU still even work? I guess my point in this thread is to discuss stuff that continues to wok for you, no matter what else in the world has changed.
It will turn into a display piece!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories