• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"You know...you steal a candy bar or you download a movie"

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
Shut the fuck up, Manny! No one cares about your stunts for crappy cop movies.

that's what I thought... I was like "I didn't even like Enemy of the State all that much" lol

Brandon

TRIBE Member
I don't know why they show these ads to paying customers...I've already paid an unholy amount of money to see this movie, don't guilt trip me!

If anything, they should be running, "bringing your own food and drink to the theatres is like stealing," because at $4.86 for a Pepsi you'd better believe I'm smuggling cans in from now on...

diablo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Brandon
If anything, they should be running, "bringing your own food and drink to the theatres is like stealing," because at $4.86 for a Pepsi you'd better believe I'm smuggling cans in from now on...

I usually bring a few beers to a movie.

The best is when your girlfriend thinks that the huge AMC cupholders have a bottom, but they don't, but she doesn't realize until the bottle of lime Vex smashes on the floor LOL

But yeah...unless you're on a first date or something, paying movie theatre prices for snacks is foolish.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Yeah, until theatres rig up spotlights that are triggered by the sound of cans or bottles being opened, we should be in the clear.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
those ads totally piss me off.

if you think you're being unfairly compensated for your work, maybe you should be looking at the celebrities who 'earn' millions of dollars to do a few scenes in a film you worked on!
fuck off and leave me alone.

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
Shut the fuck up, Manny! No one cares about your stunts for crappy cop movies.

lol

I love it when the rich pose as the poor in a plea for sympathy. It's like the goddamn shaky lady. works on the whole sucker born every minute axiom.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
downloading isn't theft.

As nobody is remopved of there product or ability of selling there legitimately produced product I don't see it as theft. When I take a candy bar somebody else cannot buy it. When I watch a pirated movie I do not reduce the sales potential of anyone.

Its more like sneaking into a hald empty theatre. Your not costing anyone anything and your not preventing any revenue from reaching them.

The should be making piracy a tacky antisocial act, this message suggesting its criminal is silly.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
When times are good the rich assholes don't give a shit about anyone. When times are bad, the rich assholes use some poor schlep to try to appeal to all the other poor schleps.... fuck 'em!

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
I agree with Ditto exacamundo! HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

I also agree with diablo with beer in a movie theatre.

However, I have enjoyed my own pan pizza in a movie too much to discount all thought of buying snacks from the theatre.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
When I watch a pirated movie I do not reduce the sales potential of anyone.

you are if you would have paid to see the movie if the piracy option wasn't available... ?

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JEMZ
When times are good the rich assholes don't give a shit about anyone. When times are bad, the rich assholes use some poor schlep to try to appeal to all the other poor schleps.... fuck 'em!

couldn't agree more.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Liquidity
pffft... the candybar to d/l analogy doesn't work for me. its more like buying the candybar at cost...
Actually it's more like spending $2000 on a machine that makes copies of the candy bar you purchased and then having your friends take all your candy bars that you made.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
As nobody is remopved of there product or ability of selling there legitimately produced product I don't see it as theft. When I take a candy bar somebody else cannot buy it. When I watch a pirated movie I do not reduce the sales potential of anyone.
Almost correct. You are reducing the sales potential by one person: you. And if everyone does that, it reduces the company's sales potential by that many number of people. So while you may see it as them not selling it to one person, they see it as the thousands of sales that they don't make.

I am not supporting piracy, nor am I supporting the compaies that put out the movies (or music).

Personally, I think that they should just work in the cost of piracy into their business decisions and pricing models. That is the way that retail stores do it. They price their retail products knowing that a certain small percentage will be stolen and cost the company money. They don't whine about it to paying customers, they just accept it as part of the cost of doing business. That is the attitude that the movie and record companies should take, IMO.

Cheers ... Ian :)

diablo

TRIBE Member
^^^by that token, its not theft if you d/l a movie that you never would have watched if you had to pay for it?

Ding ding ding!

That's how I view it.

I don't download movies, though...only music. But, I spin so I already spend thousands on music every year.

I also download the occasional music video, but I don't think any label expects consumers to buy those...

My GF downloads movies like mad LOL...but 90% of them are movies that we've either

a) already seen in the theatre

or

b) wouldn't pay to see anyway

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
^^^by that token, its not theft if you d/l a movie that you never would have watched if you had to pay for it?
But you obviously used a product (the movie) and got some entertainment out of it (otherwise why would you watch it?). That is why it is perceived as stealing.

Personally, I don't think the movie companies should worry about it, since downloaded movies are such crappy quality anyways. Plus you have to huddle around your computer to watch them (unless you take the time to burn it to a DVD).

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
But you obviously used a product (the movie) and got some entertainment out of it (otherwise why would you watch it?). That is why it is perceived as stealing.

by this token, shouldn't they pay you for your time if you weren't entertained? ;)

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
by this token, shouldn't they pay you for your time if you weren't entertained? ;)
They won't pay you for your time, but most movie theatres will reimburse you the cost of the ticket(s) if you do not find the movie enjoyable.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I also download the occasional music video, but I don't think any label expects consumers to buy those...

They will soon enough, if not already. There seems to be a budding marked for purchasing music videos.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
They won't pay you for your time, but most movie theatres will reimburse you the cost of the ticket(s) if you do not find the movie enjoyable.

serious?!?! i have GOT to try this... will they give it to you even if you sat through the whole movie?