• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

You know its bad when you look up terms for a upcoming history midterm on Wikipedia!

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
What else have you looked up?

So much useful info on wiki
If it's history? just pm me. If I don't know it, I'll look it up..and not on wiki..lol
:p

History nerd..

lucky1

TRIBE Member
hah not sure if you'd know this stuff.. Canadian External Relations... Foreign policy...

I looked up the Treaty of Ghent, I was totally drawing a blank on that one.. (it ended the war of 1812 officially or maybe not, it can be argued like most things in history) you can even get the treaty text in its entirety..

throw in some buzz phrases.. "Canadain Independence"

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
what topic in history? maybe I can help?

<- history major... it might finally be useful to some one!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Canaian External policy / foreign relations until the 1960s or so.. thats the entire course.

lets just say there are many treaties, many civil servants, and under secretaty of state, and other such names to remember... as well at the department of external affairs timelines and who was imperialist, vs who was nationalist

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
thanks for the links but I dont need the general history, i'm good with that .. for the exam I need to know specific policy and the who said what type of things.. like who negotiated what tarriff at what time... and what countries signed what agreement.

Like I said Wiki lets you access the entire text of the treaty.. pretty cool actually

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i will admit, i have totally used wiki for school this year.
i know its bad...and its not like i quote what i find there or anything, but sometimes its the easiest way to figure something out!!
off the top of my head, i think i looked up:
-some details about idi amin's expulsion of ugandan asians
-the history of jews in russia
-clifford sifton's biography

lol... i am such a fraud. :p

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Wikipedia is a great invention. I used it all the time during university. A lot of the time when reading dry and grammatically/semantically confusing political science publications Wikipedia was just the perfect amount of "dumbed down" I needed to be able to apply a concept in my own research papers.

Craigee

TRIBE Member
Coinkydink! Last night I looked up "progressive house". I ended up linking to all of their definitions for electronic music genres, and then reading about the "amen break" and it's influence on modern music. Good stuff.

I admit it, sometimes when I'm bored I'll just jump from link to link to see what kind of crazy shit will come up.

Boo

TRIBE Member
I find it interesting when people refer to the war of 1812 as between Canada and the USA, when it was between Britain and USA as Canada wasn't even a country until 1867.

Also a similar tidbit that the 'Star spangled banner' was written during the war of 1812 when British Ships were shelling the Baltimore harbour, but the American flag was left standing.

I used Wikipedia to find out the unemployment rates for the world by country.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Canada independence was more of a longer process, confederation was more simpley the joining of the provinces, but still in a framework under British imperial power, though self governing. Eg appeals to the privy council in England, Canada didn't have a supreme court until much later, no Canadian constitution, Canada still governed via the British North American Act.

the Statute of Westmister really granted the colonies absolute independence, when they chose to take it (1931)

Boo

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
Canada independence was more of a longer process, confederation was more simpley the joining of the provinces, but still in a framework under British imperial power, though self governing. Eg appeals to the privy council in England, Canada didn't have a supreme court until much later, no Canadian constitution, Canada still governed via the British North American Act.

the Statute of Westmister really granted the colonies absolute independence, when they chose to take it (1931)
I still wouldn't completly consider Canada truly independent now....

Up until the 1980's Canada could not ammend its own constitution without permission from Britain, and even today our head of state is the queen (although symbolic) the court system enforces the laws (which are only laws through royal ascent) on behalf of a foreign ruler. ie the Crown.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Its not that they couldn't amend the constitiution without BR, its that they didn't replace the ancient BNA act with anything until the 80's and since the BNA act was so dated it still had BR authority on it... One of the reasons it took so long to come up with a truly Canadian constituion is national unity.. hard to please everyone (FR/ENG) so they just never officially did...