• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

You ever heard of Mash/Mash ups?!

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
A friend showed me this and i'm hooked!

It's called http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/

Kinda hard to explain it's like remix's I guess but it's with stuff like...
  1. 'JACKO UNDER PRESSURE' Michael Jackson / Queen & David Bowie Rock With You / Under Pressure Put together after an idea inspired by the recent goings on with the King of Pop. Really pleased with the final version and the overall reaction to the track. Played within 24hrs of being created, on XFM by James Hyman and indeed caused quite a stir that week on the Station after repeated plays.
  2. 'WORK IT OUT WITH A FOXY LADY' Beyonce / Jimi Hendrix Work It Out / Foxy Lady Got me a lot of good press this one. Swore blind that someone would beat me to it. The connections between the 2 tracks used and Beyonce's character in the 'Goldmember' film, It just seemed so obvious to me. The fact that the tracks worked an absolute treat was the bonus. Listen carefully and you'll spot a lift from The Small Faces 'Rollin Over' cuting through every now and then, kiiller crash on the snare beat style. Yes, even a year later someone writes about it in the NY Times after hearing it in a club.
  3. DaftBrittney Britney Spears / Daft Punk Slave 4 You Voyager Still getting plenty of attention a year later thanks to QTV's video of it getting played everytime there is a Q-Mix week. This was the first 'Slave' bootleg by a long shot. It won a 'best bootleg' chart compiled by Churchill.
  4. 'SEXUAL HIGH' Marvin Gaye / Radiohead Sexual Healing / High And Dry A demo for this pairing was on my hardrive since 'Oasis are Gaye' but I ended up putting out that one. Played it to Tone who said it had no right to be hidden away and I should put it out. Decided to totally re-record the whole thing from scratch. Worked on a punchier break using the Radiohead kit and a sample. Layered in a string section and released it on valentines day. Gott a big reaction from a lot of people. Another turning point I suppose. Played on John Kennedy's Exposure a few times. The BBC were in touch too.

[/list=1]

And others such as 'CHRISTMAS ON THE BLOCK' J-Lo / Paul McCartney Jenny From The Block / Wonderful ; 'EVE'S PHAT GANGSTA' Eve & Alicia Keys / Sum 41 Gangsta Lovin / Fat Lip ; 'DIRRTY STONES' Christina Aguilera / The Rolling Stones Dirrty / All Over

Anyone ever heard of this stuff before? Think it'll catch on?

I shoulda of posted this 9-5 but I'll just bump it later.

deep

TRIBE Member
mashups have been around for a long time...low budget manifestation of remixing

the one of kylie minigue's 'can't get you out of my head' and new orders 'blue monday' is pretty good

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

the one of kylie minigue's 'can't get you out of my head' and new orders 'blue monday' is pretty good
Sweet I guess it does sound low budget but I thought that was part of thier charm ;) Listening to these high is great!

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
I have Kylie Minogue and Rank 1 - True love never dies vs. Airwave
it's not bad. It works.

I've heard some really whacked out mash-up jobs before though.

a good one is "Smells like Emerge"
Nirvana vs. Fischerspooner.

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
I have Kylie Minogue and Rank 1 - True love never dies vs. Airwave
it's not bad. It works.

I've heard some really whacked out mash-up jobs before though.

a good one is "Smells like Emerge"
Nirvana vs. Fischerspooner.
that was a funny smelling track.

lol

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
"Smells Like Bootylicious" is pretty good too.

BTW, mash-ups were a new thing like, two years ago. :) First one I heard of was The Strokes/Christina Aguilera called "Stroke of Genius."

~jen

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate

BTW, mash-ups were a new thing like, two years ago.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but mash-ups have been around for a lot longer than that! Regga & Dancehall (i'm sure others too) DJ's have been doing this since before I knew what Regga or Dancehall was. <-- And that was along time ago for the record

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dsp909

TRIBE Member
my fave is still depeche mode's sea of sin and enya's orinoco flow (back in 89-90 i think) not really a true mashup but for 89 it's damn good.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

That's because it was done by the one called Norman Cook wasn't it?

Mashups = Lame

(but that's just my humble opinion)

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Funzo
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but mash-ups have been around for a lot longer than that! Regga & Dancehall (i'm sure others too) DJ's have been doing this since before I knew what Regga or Dancehall was. <-- And that was along time ago for the record
Sorry, meant the whole internet mash-up phenomenon, especially of current pop songs from totally different genres.

~jen

physix

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
"Smells Like Bootylicious" is pretty good too.

BTW, mash-ups were a new thing like, two years ago. :) First one I heard of was The Strokes/Christina Aguilera called "Stroke of Genius."

~jen
not even then...

mash-ups have been a staple in chicago jockland
for over 5 or 6 years....

i have one with KEEP PUSHING and Faith Evans
that is like 5 years old.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Mash-ups have been around in the UK since the 80's. I've never been a fan, although I have heard a few that I liked.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I LOATHE pop music but I'm still digging these mashups, given some could use a little better mixing but some of these are GOLD.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I too agree, the mashups and bootlegs are a excellent IMO, depends on what you like. It's the only way Britney, Xtina, Kylie, etc could find their way on my computer other than picture form. :D

I first found out about it reading John Sakamoto's ANTI-HIT LIST column in EYE Weekly, and been downloading ever since.

That Go Home Productions site is kickass.

Ultra396 is another cool site doing similar stuff. It appears to have a much larger appeal in the UK than in NA, but so does anything else that'd musically tasteful.