• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

(you)are-free

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
So according to George Strombolopolous on the Hour, as of tomorrow Canadians can finally switch phone companies and keep their phone number.

Rogers is in some serious trouble-- if only other companies offered GSM service...

Anyway I'm pretty thrilled about this and I'm going to be shopping for a better plan as soon as.. I'm bored enough to start flipping through the details of cell plans I guess.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

bitchass

TRIBE Member
i think that all 3 of the big providers (Rogers, Bell, Telus) have pretty much the same amount of pissed off customers, who will all be just as pissed off in a year after they've switched and realised the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side.

some people just can't be happy no matter what they've got - and all the networks have their advantages and disadvantages.

will be interesting to see which networks really gain the most from number portability - and i don't count Ampd or Virgin because they've just piggybacking on Bell and Telus and paying them for the network useage.

personally, i think Telus might have the most to gain because its the newest player in Ontario - where so many people seem to hate Rogers and Bell. in the West, at least the people who hate Telus can admit that theres no reason to switch to Rogers or Bell because you'd be getting inferior coverage.

oh and the policy came into effect today so either you were watching a repeat or George is a bit behind...

Last edited:

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
bitchass said:
i think that all 3 of the big providers (Rogers, Bell, Telus) have pretty much the same amount of pissed off customers, who will all be just as pissed off in a year after they've switched and realised the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side.

agreed. i think i'll wait a while for the dust to settle.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
hey Bitchass, Virgin & amp'd are both GSM companies, using Roger's towers, not Bell or Telus's.

I predict we'll see a huge swing away from the CDMA companies and into the GSM providers.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
If you plan on switching - I would wait a bit, the back log of people switching is going to be high for the next while.

I also think that some of the cell phone companies are changing or raising their cancellation fee.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Old Yeller said:
go buy a Nokia E61.

or any of the several phones which are available with built in wifi.

I konw the phones are out there... I'm just waiting for Vonage or Skype to jump in the mix with a reasonablely priced solution that can switch between Cel and Wifi

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
vveerrgg said:
I konw the phones are out there... I'm just waiting for Vonage or Skype to jump in the mix with a reasonablely priced solution that can switch between Cel and Wifi

never going to happen.

neither of them do anything other than VOIP, i don't see why you need something from a specific company to move forward. You can get a Skype application, or other VOIP clients for Symbian Series 60 devices, as well as WM5 or 6 devices AFAIK.

In the US, the cell providers are using their considerable lobby to block free wi-fi from being rolled out in the nations cities, they know what a revenue drain it will be, so they are pulling out all the stops to block it.

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
Old Yeller said:
hey Bitchass, Virgin & amp'd are both GSM companies, using Roger's towers, not Bell or Telus's.

I predict we'll see a huge swing away from the CDMA companies and into the GSM providers.

afaik, virgin canada is CDMA using bell's technology.

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
Lovely N Amazin said:
afaik, virgin canada is CDMA using bell's technology.

blush.gif

i stand corrected.

kmac

TRIBE Member
It's a phone number but with letters instead of numbers.

Well, glad this happened a week after I signed a new contract. I reckon all the companies suck ass though.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Yeah...cell phone numbers can be ported.

You can even get your home number ported to a cell plan if you wanted to.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Eclectic said:
You can even get your home number ported to a cell plan if you wanted to.

This is pretty awesome. I'd love to see some stats after a few months, to see how many people migrated their home phone to a cell phone.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
It's great.

You can probably even convert your parents to cell phones with that trick.

"But dad, it's the same number people have been calling for years. It's now in your pocket."