• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yoga

erika

TRIBE Member
I think it's time yoga had its own thread. If there is already one on here, apologies.

Post your fave yoga classes, moves, pictures (Westside Wax I'm looking at you!).

And also places to avoid if any.

I've been a few times to a great yoga retreat, very reasonably priced, and very good practice, here:
Still Point Yoga Retreat Centre in Picton, Bay of Quinte, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada

And I'm still looking for my ideal class in the city:
Hatha yoga based
Preferably not "flow"
No music
No incense
With pranayama
Not far from me :)

Liability

TRIBE Member
I think it's time yoga had its own thread. If there is already one on here, apologies.

Post your fave yoga classes, moves, pictures (Westside Wax I'm looking at you!).

And also places to avoid if any.

I've been a few times to a great yoga retreat, very reasonably priced, and very good practice, here:
Still Point Yoga Retreat Centre in Picton, Bay of Quinte, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada

And I'm still looking for my ideal class in the city:
Hatha yoga based
Preferably not "flow"
No music
No incense
With pranayama
Not far from me :)
I take a great class at Goodlife. I know what the 'Goodlife' aspect implies, but the instructor is great and it is more a spiritual/breath based class than physical. However, it is also very tough physically.

I will get the instructors place of teaching next tuesday as she teaches a womans only class downtown at a 'proper' studio. I have done many Yoga classes and this instructor is really good.

erika

TRIBE Member
thanks!

I take one class at my gym and it's good, but not quite enough, so I need to supplement that with something more rounded.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Nice thread.

Have been practicing yoga on and off for 10+ years. Go to a couple studios here in Hamilton (de la soul, moksha). Moksha did a series of SUP classes at a local conservation area this summer that was awesome.

c.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Say what? Better to admire the people who practice without the aid of external heat and humidity, which makes it easier to get into deeper postures but also drastically increases the likelihood of injury for those who don't recognise their limits. Add Bikram's cultish reputation - I've heard some fabulously unenlightened tales regarding both teachers and students - and much negative press, and and I'll stick with my no-name brand, thanks muchly.

My favourite pose = trikonasana. There's just something about it - so simple, yet so much going on. A lengthening, standing side bend with a twist, and no matter how far along you think you are in your practice, when executed properly, it still does some wonderfully deep work:

My go-to studios in the city are the cozy, boutique one where I manage part-time and teach, Octopus Garden, Breathe and Ahimsa (though I've never been, I've known JP since his days at Octopus and he's the real deal).

Here's B.K.S. Iyengar schoolin' the 70s set:

[YOUTUBE]TSF651SRBLs[/YOUTUBE]

Pattabhi Jois leading some next-level 'ish:

[YOUTUBE]LTknvzGsGE0[/YOUTUBE]

And for Erika (though I know she's seen this one), here's me at my inlaws' in the summer, working my way toward a lighter, effortless vasisthasana variation. Some effort required at this point. :)

Having a laugh in crow pose (kakasana - even the Sanskrit name is chuckle-inducing), last month at One Tooth's free yoga in High Park:

Today, the bolsters and blankets are coming out - it's a restorative kind of day at Casa Westside...

Oh, and lastly, if you have a few dollars to spare toward a really beautiful and worthwhile cause, please take a look at the Jenna K. Morrison Reflexology Memorial Foot Path. Jenna was my first teacher in Toronto and she was all kinds of sunshine and inspiration. She is missed by many.

erika

TRIBE Member
I"m with Ian on Bikram: the concept of heat is nice, but the postures are pretty well always the same and it seems so "branded".

True Iyengar without props? Now that's impressive. I still have his Light on Yoga book from a million years ago and it still sometimes scares me :)

I'm fond of balance poses, for grounding.

I also find doing a forward bend (the pashimottanasana, such such a cool name too!), also super beneficial when I hold it for a long while.

And shoulder stand; some people go on about neck stuff, but I think if you do it right there is no risk.

I took one class at Octopus Garden, a focus on basics class: the guy who taught it seemed so hyper though; it was as though he was trying to project an image of calm but was all "yeah yeah yeah" inside.

Ian, anyone you recommend there?

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
I spent most of my time there training with the owners, Scott and Pat. Scott has a busy schedule and doesn't teach as much these days, but definitely give one of Pat's classes a try if you have the opportunity - she challenges students in the best (and safest!) way possible.

...and while I've never taken classes with Jesse Enright, I know he's highly regarded in the community.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Toronto yoga lore: a great piece on JP and Ahimsa, which touches on the rift that was created when he, Scott and Pat split from Downward Dog (as well as the subsequent one that happened when the three of them parted business-ways).

City Unseen: A yogi goes rogue

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I've only done Moksha and Bikram can only compare the two, I'm not a yogi in the slightest. I found Bikram to be tough compared to Moksha.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I've only done Moksha and Bikram can only compare the two, I'm not a yogi in the slightest. I found Bikram to be tough compared to Moksha.
Yeah, the temperature in the room for Bikram is a few (more than a few?) degrees higher than Moksha. The first time I did Bikram I lasted 10 minutes before I started suffereing extreme vertigo and had to leave. I've done a few moksha classes and have never struggled to finish.

Last winter I started up my own Ashtanga practice at home. I was doing about 4-5 days of 1 hour practice a week and it was incredible. I found myself in a better place mentally and physically while going through the practice. However, spring came and I moved to more outdoor activities like golf and biking and haven't done much Yoga lately. I plan on getting myself back into a routine this fall/winter between doing ashtanga at home and going to a class at the yoga sanctuary from time to time.

erika

TRIBE Member
I always feel better when I have more yoga in my life. And like you, it comes and goes. As long as we keep coming back to it, we're good!

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Yoga has a sly, clever way of short-circuiting the mental patterns that cause anxiety.
~Baxter Bell~

Back(pun intended)story.

And even if you aren't into cartoons or Mike Judge, but practice yoga, you should watch this - Johnny Depp is hilarious.

If you're into Ashtanga-based practice and ever have the opportunity, take a class with this guy:

[YOUTUBE]HOh6UQRCT0U[/YOUTUBE]

He rolls through Toronto every once in a while and guests at various studios.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Cool, I would like to check out a Ashtanga class.
Has anyone done aerial yoga? I would LOVE to do that.
Ashtanga is great, but for some it can feel really limiting. The practice is meant to be practiced the same way every day. Same number of breaths per pose, the poses are practiced in the exact same order, etc. Some people find it a little OCD or boring, but it was this that drove me to it the most. Since you're doing the same thing every time, I found that it became quite meditative. A few times I felt like I was on top of the world after a class.
If you want to check out Ashtanga, the Yoga Sanctuary offers different levels (but only their College studio), and there is also a Ashtanga Toronto at yonge/lawrence, but i've never been there. Also, Downward Dog is primarly an ashtanga studio.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Ive been doing Yoga at Moksha Yoga in Guelph a lot this last year, and loving the straight up Hot Moksha Classes( generally 60-75 mins ) and then 90 min Moksha FLow Reduced heat classes.

going to check out a Yin class, usually really deep floor practices and generally 60 mins.

my gf and i want to do some partner yoga though, as we think it would be lots of fun, but need to find a work shop or a studio that offers it.

Yoga combined with the capoeria i just started is an amazing combination, one beats you up and makes you tight the other releases all the tension ( unless its the flow class, it will kick your ass if you arent used to it hahaha )

also my capoeria school is in a gym that i get unlimited classes and use of the gym , which also has yoga classes, so it will be cool to see what types of yoga are taught at the gym.

YOGA IS GLORIOUS !

erika

TRIBE Member
Nice!
Is this all in Guelph though?

I'm interested in finding a yin class in Toronto. One of the best classes I had started with yin postures, then moved into standard hatha yoga poses.

Flow is alright, but I like having the time to set up and properly "be" in a pose.

And no, ashtanga is definitely NOT for me: no jumping please! :)

seeker

TRIBE Member
I've been doing more yoga again in the last couple of weeks. I've been doing just Surya Namaskar A/B, with some simple stuff for closing out the practice and recovering (sarvangasana is great). Like glych, I like it for working out the kinks after training, though I'm doing judo, not capoeira. Sometimes I think it would be nice to go deeper than I do into a yoga practice, but for now my focus is judo, and yoga supports that.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Nice!
Is this all in Guelph though?

I'm interested in finding a yin class in Toronto. One of the best classes I had started with yin postures, then moved into standard hatha yoga poses.

Flow is alright, but I like having the time to set up and properly "be" in a pose.

And no, ashtanga is definitely NOT for me: no jumping please! :)
There is a Moksha on Danforth !

Check it out to see if they are offering any Yin classes ! I usually practice in Guelph since the classes are cheaper to buy and it's convenient for me when here.

I do enjoy a straight Moksha class with no flow but I find that a healthy amount of both keep me limber and also give me the work out that I kind of miss when not moving enough.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
There are YIN classes at the Moksha on Queensway and Islington, if you drive, Erika!
I've not done it as yet, but I've been pretty impressed by this studio, except for some of the etiquette.

I met an interesting yoga teacher tonight, who has spent two years of his life travelling and teaching. I would have inquired more, but I had "yoga brain", couldn't say the word, Moksha and spilled water all over my face, instead of drinking it!

erika

TRIBE Member
thanks ravinjunkie, good to know (I do drive but prefer not to :) )

Find out more about the yoga teacher!