• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yoga/Pilates Mat recommendations

starr

TRIBE Member
So I had my first Pilates class on the weekend (yay!) but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be (boo). Mostly because I'm a REALLY bony kind-of girl and the mat that I rented at the studio wasn't cushion-y enough for me to do the exercises comfortably and properly.

I'm looking to buy my own mat anyway and just wanted to get some feedback from those of you who own their own mats. I'm mostly going to be using it for Pilates and maybe Hot Yoga as well. Also, as I'm a quasi-hippie I'd prefer to buy a non-PVC and biodegradable mat and am wondering if anyone owns or has used either of these two mats:

#1, the Lululemon Eco-Pilates Mat
It's 8mm thick (doesn't sound that thick/comfy to me??? :( ).

Also, #2 an Earth Elements Yoga Mat, that can be bought at the Big Carrot:
But this site seems to only show them at 5mm thickness, which I don't think is good enough for my back.

Any other products suggestions, recommendations, tips? Is 8mm really comfy and good, or is it just barely okay? I *could* buy two if I had too, but that seems kind of silly :eek: But in the end I'd rather deal with the embarrassment and not hurt my back.

Thanks in advance ladies :)

starr

TRIBE Member
The Eco-Pilates one is a little thicker than the Ultra actually :)

Do you know how thick your mat is Skipper? Do you find it's okay? I wish my back bones/muscles weren't so bony/sensitive :|

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I honestly have NO idea - I just peeked at it and it looks like a 6 or an 8mm. Compared to the one I keep @ home I consider it to be really thick - the one at home has got to be the absolute minimum.

I think 8 mm would be sufficient!

starr

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I think 8 mm would be sufficient!
Really? I just think that it sounds so thin. I'm more concerned about the thickness of the mat first, the environmental stuff second really.

Do they even make 1 cm mats.....probably not because that would be tough to roll up I guess? Anyone know or know who/where I could find out....a Yoga specialty store in Toronto?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i'll check what kind mine is when i get home - i find it's borderline good - but could be a bit thicker for sure... and i'm with ya on the bony front, starr. :(

any of the rolling/spine, and any leg exercises you have to do on your side are pretty uncomfortable.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
my ass is so cushy I don't need a mat.

Actually I'd like to pick one of these up too - I noticed winners has a whack of them - don't know if they're pvc or what thickness the mats are though.

What's the price range for yoga mats?

starr

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
any of the rolling/spine, and any leg exercises you have to do on your side are pretty uncomfortable.
Totally! I think I'm just going to get one and then suck it up and buy another one if I find I really need to.

starr

TRIBE Member
L'ilMisSunshine said:
my ass is so cushy I don't need a mat.
What's the price range for yoga mats?
Dude, my ass is cushy too. It's the space above, my "sit" bone or whatever....so pointy :(

I think the price range for a decent mat is $30 to $50?

sk8

TRIBE Member
mine is awesome and cushy and completely non slidey. it's way better and thicker than any other one i've seen.
it was a gift and i think my mom got it at chapters when she was working there.
it's probably not ecofriendly though. it's not like i'm throwing it out though... so i guess it's only the manufacturing where it sucks....

i'll try to find it online.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
I have a "harmony" mat from Jade Yoga.

It is pretty cushiony - the mat has a slightly different texture than most other yoga mats on the market (including the lulu one).

But I found it still is a little hard on my back doing rolling spine type of exercises. Sometimes I use 2 mats (I can get one from my gym and put it underneath mine) and then it is good.

My sister has a mat that is specifically for pilates (Windsor pilates or something), it is way more cushiony than my yoga mat but not eco friendly.

http://www.jadeyoga.com/

Jennika

TRIBE Member
I feel your pain starr,

no matter how thick the mat, I always find it hurts my bony back and my knees when I'm doing yoga or pilates on a wood floor.

I find now that I have to bring my own mat and put it on top of one of the free mats they have at the studio to make it double thick. the other option is if the studio offers blankets then put one of those under your mat when you're on the floor (doesn't work if you're doing standing postures of jumping around much).

I'm sure for sanitary reasons wood floors are easier for studios, but I wish the they would use the padded floors that you find in yoga/pilates rooms at most gyms instead.

Jme

TRIBE Member
Hi starr I don't know if you are still looking for a mat if you are look up halfmoon .bz they have everything you are looking for, the mat I bought from them is eco friendly and they have extra thick or extra long mats too. they are located in Vancity so it also helps support canadian business. check it out hope this helps.

Last edited:

jus me

TRIBE Member
I did some shopping for yoga mats a while back, I went to Canadian Tire, Winners,...

For a thick padded non slip texture, lulemon was best in my opinion. It's great to sit on the floor on at home. My visitors love it (also bc of a lack of chairs). I have the thickest one. Don't have a cover/bag for it though. Do regular ones fit it? Or do I have to get a specialized one from lululemon?

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Jme said:
Hi starr I don't know if you are still looking for a mat if you are look up halfmoon .bz they have everything you are looking for, the mat I bought from them is eco friendly and they have extra thick or extra long mats too. they are located in Vancity so it also helps support canadian business. check it out hope this helps.
i <3 halfmoon! tis where i got my mat & bag :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories