• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yet Another Police Run In...

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
I don't get this.........If I am complaining how does that affect the loyalty these cops have for their comrads.

The point I'm making is that if more people took the effort to report these things they might happen less instead of being paranoid freaks.

It doesn't matter. People have been complaining about cops for years. Cops don't slag other cops, that's the bottom line. If you try to file a complaint with a cop, you obviously have to do that with another cop at the division.

Stop Bill C-10

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Statistically, they say 40% of people in jail are wrongly accused (don't ask me how they came up with that), so keeping that in mind, when inmates are always yelling out "IT WASN"T ME!", almost half of them are actually telling the truth. Does that matter? No.

Why do you think the statue of justice is blindfolded?!

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
It's called The Code of Silence and it is a long time phenominum the world over.

Cops don't rat out other cops. Cops don't make other cops look bad. Cops don't enforce the laws on other cops.

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
I believe you need to go to the copshop where the cop you're making the complaint against works out of in order to make a complaint.

That is correct, and they look at your photo id to be sure you are who you say you are.

You then get put in their little computer.

If you never do anything wrong there is no problem. But if you speed, jaywalk, do drugs, etc

any of these little things will get stuck, ie you will get tickets for everything, you won't get any breaks. If you play hardball with police they will do the same with you and will most likely win.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
well now I really think your paranoid.

to a certain extent that may be true, but only with the really dirty ones ;)

seriously, if they started getting 500 calls a day about cops doing stupid things on the job you think they're going to have the time to stalk each and every person, I don't think so. what if you are visiting in Toronto but live in Winnipeg.

Couldn't you just call Crimestoppers or some shit. Or refuse to give your info, if you're seriously that concerned. Are they not going to process the complaint if you don't hand over your ID. Will they accept a Health Card if you don't have a licence?

There's like 1 cop for every 500 people in toronto or something.

Are people really that naive to believe that they no other recourse if they're being harassed by the police.

Carry a camcorder with you everywhere you go. I'm actually quite shocked that a group as outspoken as Tribe is scared of cops.

That said, I'm making a point to call next time I see something stupid. Just ot see what happens.

Wish me luck. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Leogirl, have you not been reading? You can't call in a complaint. You have to go into the precinct where the cop you're making the complaint against works.

I'm not scared, I'm just realistic. People would be better hooting and hollering about having the complaints process changed instead of calling in complaints that will go nowhere.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Leogirl, have you not been reading? You can't call in a complaint. You have to go into the precinct where the cop you're making the complaint against works.

I'm not scared, I'm just realistic. People would be better hooting and hollering about having the complaints process changed instead of calling in complaints that will go nowhere.

YES I am listening, and I am still going to CALL and complain. If they won't take it over the phone I will tell them I have a broken leg and can't leave the house. If they want to come to my house I will tell them I have Bird Flu and am under quaranteen.

IF they won't take my complaint, I'll take it to my MP.

Since everyone is so sure that I have to go in to log a complaint, has anyone ever really tried? or is this based on skeptsism

kodos

TRIBE Member
The amount of ignorance in this thread is ridiculous... this is the police force we're discussing here, not the mafia! Police officers are supposed to serve and protect the public which means you jib monkeys. If you've had a bad experience, call in and make that complaint - don't smear hyperbole all over tribe. Are you really going to let experiences with a few bad apples or exagerrated anecdotes on the internet develop into a deep-rooted prejudice?

Sheesh, if you guys only knew the amount of conflict within the police force itself, you'd have a completely different view on this alleged old boys network...

P.S. statistically speaking, 40% of people are easily misled.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Ah man it's 51 division what else do you expect. I've grown up with that attitude my whole life around here. They come and do what they please all the time in my neighbourhood. With attitudes just like that. Even worse that they love to eat at the local watering hole here. They all pull up and park illegally on the streets or in the parks and just take over like they run place.... Oh wait maybe to some degree they do. Can't stand 51 division and now their just building there fancy new station even closer to home GREAT!.

Sorry to here that happen to you. It diffently puts life in prospective a litte more. Or at least wakes you up for a moment.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
YES I am listening, and I am still going to CALL and complain. If they won't take it over the phone I will tell them I have a broken leg and can't leave the house. If they want to come to my house I will tell them I have Bird Flu and am under quaranteen.

And they will tell you that you have 6 months to file the complaint so come in when you're feeling better.

kodos - look up the stats on how many complaints are considered valid (and therefore followed up on). My problem with police in Toronto isn't a result of my shitty experiences with them or other people's anecdotal evidence as much as the lack of accountability the force has to the public and the cavalier disregard Fantino has shown for criticism of the force.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
And they will tell you that you have 6 months to file the complaint so come in when you're feeling better.
then I will tell them I am fearful of giving them my identity because I believe all cops are dirty and will hunt me down, torture my cats and force me to watch.

I bet that'll get me somewhere huh?

kodos

TRIBE Member
How can you file a complaint?

A complaint must be in writing, signed by the complainant and mailed, faxed or delivered to any Toronto Police Station or to the office of the Ontario Civilian Commission on Police Services (OCCPS).

You may write your complaint in a letter or use a standard form available at any Police Station or at the offices of OCCPS.

If the complaint is sent to OCCPS it will be forwarded to the involved Police Service.

To assist us in handling your complaint in a timely manner we need as much details as possible such as time, date, witness if any, your address and phone number.

A complaint must usually be made within six months of the date of the incident.

A complaint may be filed about the conduct of an off-duty Police officer as long as there is a connection between the conduct and either the duty of a police officer or the reputation of the Police Service.

Well that settles that.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
I'm actually quite shocked that a group as outspoken as Tribe is scared of cops.

Who said anything about being afraid? I told a cop to fuck off once because of his uncessarily irate behaviour towards me. The only reason I stopped laughing at his flippant behaviour was because I was reminded that my friend had a gym bag with approx. $150,000 of stolen jewellery in the back.

There's a big difference between fear and being able to recognize futility.

Fear is not wanting to go to the dentist for a root canal.

Futility is when you go to the dentist and you don't even have your real teeth.