• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yet Another Police Run In...

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
It's midnight last night. Isabella and I are walking home arm in arm from a friend's house. We come to Church Street one block north of Dundas. The streets are empty so we cross against the green - jaywalk if you will. A police car happens to roll up. While it does the light turns amber then red. Isa and I pass in front of the cop cruiser as we now have right away. The police in the passenger side yells something unintelligible at me. I turn and nod, not wanting to stop in the middle of the street or ask him to repeat himself.

The cruiser (which is in the inner lane) pulls a right turn, through the other lane, on a red so that he can pull up to me. Again he yells something I don't entire catch. I beg his pardon.

"It's a sixty dollar ticket! Do you want a ticket? Don't walk away from me! Acknowledge me when I talk to you!"

I stand there, obviously perplexed by his outburst.

"Do you understand me?"

"Yes sir!" I say.

Then they drive off.

I am still amazed at how angry he became so quickly. I have never been that angry when at work as he appeared to be. He was shouting at me because I didn't stop and talk to him while I was in the roadway.

If I deserved a ticket, why didn't he simply tell me so, write one up, and then tell me to have a good evening? I would have had infinitely more respect for him if he had just remained professional while he wrote me up. The flagrant lawbreaking (illegal turn) wasn't too impressive either. I honestly can't take a cop seriously when he commits an offense in his alacrity to berate me.

My little anecdote is sad in that it happens all too often. Have we as a society ill equipt these men and women who protect the law. Are they under so much stress that they take a case of jaywalking as a personal attack? I almost feel sorry for that man.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Meh... he probably got yelled at at the station and and he was out to prove himself.

Either that, or his wife wouldn't put out the night before. :p

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
I've always felt that the approach that toronto finest take when confronting its citizens to be foolish and misplaced for the most part.

When I was younger, I always felt like they where another bungch of troublemakers to look out for, as they would harass us and talk alot of shit to scare you, but in the end just get in thier crusier and roll out.This happen alot in the very nice places where I grew up.

The Toronto cops I've had to deal with seemed overly stressed out about thier jobs.I know being a cop is diffcult, but to freak you on "normal" citizens for minor infractions (j walk) is disrespectful.

When I lived in Central Flordia, lots of realy bad shit went down on my block everyday... the cops were always under fire at night and deal with the most crazy ass ppl you never want to meet. The ghetto bird was always making passes, chasing ppl all over the place.

However,when they dealt with you they were always super calm, and never stopped you unlees there was a real reason to do so. They would write a ticket if needed and clearly explain and tell you to have a good evening and be out.If they arrested you it wa the same thing, real calm and proper about it.

Why is it the The toronto cops seems to be suffering from severe stress, when it's the orange county sherrifs that are being shot at all the time and having to kill ppl?

I like our police, I just wish the where provided with better copeing skills so they too would deal with all of us in a respectful and calm fashion no matter how fucking crazy we are... I think they would also sleep a whole lot better a night, living with some of the cops I've met in TO must be fucked uped.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I guy I was dating went to school to become a cop - needless to say it didnt last - he said his main reason for wanting to become a cop was to get a gun...

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac

My little anecdote is sad in that it happens all too often. Have we as a society ill equipt these men and women who protect the law. Are they under so much stress that they take a case of jaywalking as a personal attack? I almost feel sorry for that man.
While studying criminology at U of T, I saw a pretty shocking portrayal of a cop from one of the worst divisions in TO (dont remember.. think it was based out of parkdale). On her time off, she was drinking and driving, hanging out, smoking a supreme amount of weed, and playing with her gun with her cop friends. After, the head of training at the police college in Ontario came in to talk to us. He basically said that 90% of the people that become police officers do it for "the power" and the gun. Most of them have little or no respect for what it really means to be a cop. Most of them do it because of their egos, and because they want to have that control over society, and they do. And there is nothing he can do about it, except to train them properly. He said most of them disregard training as soon as they enter the ranks. Why? because everyone else does it too. He looked around and saw a bunch of multicultural students at the class, and said it was a relief talking to black, white, etc faces, because in his classes, its white white white. The problem is, very few minorities apply, so even fewer are hired. And that creates a lot of racism.

I agree with you. Why not just write the ticket. The problem is if you ignored him, he wouldve charged at you and probably taken you down for resisting arrest. Ive known countless people who have been arrested and overcharged to the max. Once that charge is there, you are fucked.

And, now, the pig himself, mr fantino, wants an extension of his contract to an unheralded seven years. Why? What has he done to deserve it? Crime rates have fallen, violent crimes have fallen, everything is going down and yet he claims its a much more violent city now than ever before.

Dont believe the hype.

And dont respect the establishment until it is fixed. Which would take a while, if ever.

I hate the police. I think that most of t hem are arrogant selfish powerhungry braindead morons. I do think that they serve a purpose in society, but they have overstepped the lines. If a cop gets killed I never shed a tear and never will. They have, to me, and in my eyes, created so much injustice that if their blood is spilled on the streets I secretly celebrate deep down inside. You want to be a cop? Thats the risk you take. I dont care about you, about your family, and about your colleagues making a mockery of society by parading your coffin down the street.

Blah. Im done.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
one night my boyfriend and I and a bunch of friends were walking to a pub in the high park area when we heard a car accident and saw the car speed off. We all just kinda stopped and hung out at the corner to see what was going on - in the meantime my boyfriend and his friend started wrestling, playfighting, etc. Next thing we know there are 2 cops running at them and pinning them against a wall asking if they were involved in the accident - we were all like "whoa" maybe you should be talking to witnesses that were right in front of the accident - we told them we just heard the accident and saw the car speed off - they were saying that they shouldnt be playfighting blah blah blah it was so funny

exheres

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Yet Another Police Run In...

Originally posted by qtip
While studying criminology at U of T, I saw a pretty shocking portrayal of a cop from one of the worst divisions in TO (dont remember.. think it was based out of parkdale). On her time off, she was drinking and driving, hanging out, smoking a supreme amount of weed, and playing with her gun with her cop friends. After, the head of training at the police college in Ontario came in to talk to us. He basically said that 90% of the people that become police officers do it for "the power" and the gun. Most of them have little or no respect for what it really means to be a cop. Most of them do it because of their egos, and because they want to have that control over society, and they do. And there is nothing he can do about it, except to train them properly. He said most of them disregard training as soon as they enter the ranks. Why? because everyone else does it too. He looked around and saw a bunch of multicultural students at the class, and said it was a relief talking to black, white, etc faces, because in his classes, its white white white. The problem is, very few minorities apply, so even fewer are hired. And that creates a lot of racism.

I agree with you. Why not just write the ticket. The problem is if you ignored him, he wouldve charged at you and probably taken you down for resisting arrest. Ive known countless people who have been arrested and overcharged to the max. Once that charge is there, you are fucked.

And, now, the pig himself, mr fantino, wants an extension of his contract to an unheralded seven years. Why? What has he done to deserve it? Crime rates have fallen, violent crimes have fallen, everything is going down and yet he claims its a much more violent city now than ever before.

Dont believe the hype.

And dont respect the establishment until it is fixed. Which would take a while, if ever.

I hate the police. I think that most of t hem are arrogant selfish powerhungry braindead morons. I do think that they serve a purpose in society, but they have overstepped the lines. If a cop gets killed I never shed a tear and never will. They have, to me, and in my eyes, created so much injustice that if their blood is spilled on the streets I secretly celebrate deep down inside. You want to be a cop? Thats the risk you take. I dont care about you, about your family, and about your colleagues making a mockery of society by parading your coffin down the street.

Blah. Im done.

You need a hug.:) just not from a cop.:D

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
I had never had a run in with the toronto cops until last monday. I was running late for class and I ran a light on my bike. The cop pulled me over and asked me if "I really wanted to die?" I told him it was a momentary lapse in judgement, while he was putting my ID through he calmly asked me about school and my hometown, and basically explained to me why I shouldn't run lights on my bike. He ended up not writing me a ticket and I felt stupid and he sent me on my way. It was probably the best cop experience I have ever had. I find the TO cops to be very unintrusive, to tell you the truth, I barely ever see them.

The RCMP on the other hand....:mad:

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Yet Another Police Run In...

Originally posted by qtip
I'd say a good chunk of the problem rests on Fantino's shoulders. He steadfastly refuses to accept any criticism of the force, no matter how much credibility behind it there is (ie: racial profiling).

His opinion is that cops can do no wrong, and he projects this onto the entire police force.

Funny story is that Fantino was offered a contract renewal/extension before the Municipal elections, but he turned it down, hoping that once John Tory was elected Mayor, that he'd get a much sweeter deal in thanks for endorsing him.

Of course, Miller got elected by landslide, and I can only hope that the next offer they give Fantino is much lower and will punish him for turning down the first offer. Not that I even want him as chief of Toronto's cops for another term...

defazman

TRIBE Member
The worst experience I've had with a cop was getting pulled over for doing 2km/h over the limit. He didnt have me on radar, he just judged that I was speeding and pulled me over, followed by a speach on how I was reckless. Then he got another call and sped off, squealing his tires and all.

The nicest cop I dealt with pulled me over for doing 185 in a 60 zone, but no radar and he just told me to drive more carefully.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
A cop pulled me over for speeding in Guelph once but let me off when he saw that I had bought some Chinese food from a late-night buffet that the cops all frequent downtown.

Best six bucks I ever spent.

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
I guy I was dating went to school to become a cop - needless to say it didnt last - he said his main reason for wanting to become a cop was to get a gun...
I have a high school ex like that too. He had a real problem with women and racism - needless to say I dumped his ass very quickly - My fingers are crossed that the psych exams are good...VERY good. Just thinking of the access to (my) information he may have makes me shudder.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
I've seen some hot women cops lately.

ditto!
i saw one on the drive home last night with no partner.
how the hell is she supposed to defend herself without a male in the car??

:>