• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yellow jackets : they're going to be bad this year

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
10377377_10152331617483581_3758606100347982418_n.jpg

I was just thinking the other day how many I have seen around and it is not even the end of August yet.

This one stung me today while I was doing at least 15 kph on my bike along Dundas. It never fails, I get stung at least once a year. My hand is swelling up now and the swelling will probably go all the way up to my elbow like last year's sting.

Yellow jackets suck.

Stop Bill C-10

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
My son got one a couple of weeks ago and while I was checking it out fucker got me too, right on the bridge of the nose. I showed him though.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
I got nailed by a bald faced wasp a few weeks ago while practicing yoga in the Humber Valley. Got me on the same finger, Alex, but on the left hand. Those things are aggressive and the initial sting is such a nasty, burning sensation.

26145c52-53f7-4f80-8db0-686888bb3554.jpg

I did keep on practicing, though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Though it's my regular practice spot, evidently I was encroaching on its territory; it began buzzing around my face while I was in a low lunge. The third or fourth time, I tried to swipe it away, but it became caught in my hand, where it unleashed its waspy fury. It saddened me that I had to crush it with my water bottle, but I couldn't risk a repeat attack.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I got hit by four of them in one shot while mowing the lawn last year. Within 20 mins my throat started to close, 911 later in ambulance epi pen shot and felt better. I'm an idiot, though, because I fail to believe I'm allergic to them and so I haven't yet gone to see the allergy doctor. Fuck! Time to get going. Thx for the warning.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I !$@#$@ hate bees and the @#$#@'ers know it!

Just saw 2 in the sub shoppe that I had lunch at today which caused me to leave the establishment. When I was at Camp Beradacka (sp?) @ Lowville when I was about 11 - 13 years old, I jumped over a tree stump while playing Capture the Flag...

I captured 12-15 stings... and I'm not sure what type of bee/wasp they were... but that was literally the last time. I avoid at all costs now.

Can't believe how terrified I am of these little guys!

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I !$@#$@ hate bees and the @#$#@'ers know it!

Just saw 2 in the sub shoppe that I had lunch at today which caused me to leave the establishment. When I was at Camp Beradacka (sp?) @ Lowville when I was about 11 - 13 years old, I jumped over a tree stump while playing Capture the Flag...

I captured 12-15 stings... and I'm not sure what type of bee/wasp they were... but that was literally the last time. I avoid at all costs now.

Can't believe how terrified I am of these little guys!

Please don't call them bee's... Bee's are not aggressive and don't go around stinging people it is the wasp's, hornet's , and yellow jackets... I can't stand them either as it prevents me for going out on a patio with my son as he is terrified of them...

Brandon

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty sure there's a wasp nest in full production mode in the soffit over my garage. Is there such a thing as a wasp-killing hand grenade? Because I think burning the garage down is Plan B.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The more times you get stung in your life, the more allergic you become to their stings. It's insidious.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Also there is a cross sensitivity thing going on where getting stung by fire ants makes you more sensitive to yellow jacket venom. The specials don't even have to be the same.

I attribute my sensitivity to their venom from a time I got stung by hundreds of African bees when I was a teenager.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
in our last drunken stupor , we came up with a plan to get a patent on a drone equipped with a can of raid that just buzzed around your back yard.

might work.... :rolleyes:

Lojack

TRIBE Member
When I very young, some family decided to take out a large, nasty wasp nest that had developed in a tree on an elderly neighbors property. What happens when you get a bunch of WW2 vets together for such an event? Make-shift protective rubber suits and a make-shift flame-thrower fueled from a large canister of propane. I don't remember much from those years but I do remember the evening sky lighting up like day time. Worked very well, but today it would get all of them thrown in the clink.

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
WTF!!!!:eek:

Okay I have a bamboo or wooden style roll up blind out on the patio to kill some of the sun that hit the patio doors. Now over the past couple weeks I have noticed the wasps out there on the balcony. It was really starting to become annoying. I thought maybe they were trying to find shade to get out of the heat or whatever. Then I noticed they are always landing on the blind and staying on it. I would swat the blind and the would hold on or land again. They were landing on the inside and the outside of the blind. So just a few minutes ago one landed on the blind about a foot about 2 feet away while I was sitting there. I leaned forward and took a look at him. It was munching away on the blind. I could hear it chomping down on it. All the city noise in the background too. Om nom nom nom... Fuck!Lol. I looked over right now and there is one sitting out there eating it right now.

Now looking at the blind I can see they have been stripping away the outer layer of the blind all over the whole blind it. Its weird, its like they are eating away strips of it all over. They are exposing all of the 'fresh' wood below the surface. At least they haven't stung me. I hope they finish the job before summer is over. I will have a new blind, even though its still an ugly piece of crap. :D

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
Maybe. Eco friendly wasps for the new century?

Little bastards are eating my house so they can build their own. I could spray it with poison, but I want to sit behind a blind that is covered in bug poison.

I understand they are quite territorial. I'll try making a simulated wasp nest out of paper first. See if that runs them off.