• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ye olde TV series - classic television revisited

praktik

TRIBE Member
Nope. My girlfriend hates it passionately. I don't think she's ever even watched an entire episode and often mistakenly refers to is as Steinfield. For her it's because the characters are completely unlikeable and selfish and she feels no reason to care about what's going on.
Dont show her "It's always sunny" haha!

That said, even though they are - very clearly - much WORSE people than Seinfled, the asshole effect in Seinfeld was more irritating to me than its ever been in ITs Always Sunny...

Matt - you should show her EARLY seinfeld: elaine is cute and nice and george is more pathetic than selfish,,,,

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
speaking of classic comedies, it might be fun to go back and watch Absolutely Fabulous, Kids in the Hall, Fawlty Towers and ye olde Monty Python Flying Circus, just to see how well they've held up.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I didn't hate seinfeld because they were selfish assholes. I just thought the humour got old fast. i've seen all the eps, i didn't mind it in the beginning. But after a while it just got so fucking annoying to watch.

erika

TRIBE Member
i haaaaaaaaaaate seinfeld. I cringe every time it's on. I think i'm the only one who feels that way.
I'm with you. I have never been able to watch an entire episode; I found it dreary and cringe-worthy. And didn't like the show by the guy who wrote most of Seinfeld either.

Yes to the Prisoner!!

erika

TRIBE Member
She actually likes Sunny hahaha. She hates Curb Your Enthusiasm though.
Yes that one; it's dreadful. Who wants to waste part of their life watching someone so unpleasant? But yes, It's always sunny in Philadelphia, for the few episodes I saw, made me laugh.

The first coupld of seasons of Weeds were great, but that hardly qualifies as classic TV yet.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
See, if nothing else, this is what Netflix Canada is good for - old TV shows. I've gone through episodes of Soap, Fawlty Towers, The Rockford Files, Knight Rider, and even 90s stuff like The Nanny, SeaQuest DSV, Sliders, and Quantum Leap.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
See, if nothing else, this is what Netflix Canada is good for - old TV shows. I've gone through episodes of Soap, Fawlty Towers, The Rockford Files, Knight Rider, and even 90s stuff like The Nanny, SeaQuest DSV, Sliders, and Quantum Leap.
Is Seaquest DSV lame? I have never seen an episode of that either.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I watched the first season, and half of the second. I'll probably watch the rest at some point(Maybe. Still don't wanna). Much like Quantum Leap (Didn't finish watching that either on netflix), all of the changes pissed me off. I didn't remember the changes watching when I was a kid, but I do remember I stopped watching both these shows. This is perhaps why.

Do not dl 'Man from Atlantis'. I loved this show as a kid and could not understand why it was cancelled. Clearly I was too young to get it. First 2 shows are ok. The rest are garbage (That King Tut guy from old batman was supremely annoying). Just a warning.

Last edited:

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Picking up on what NemIsis said, my recollections are that it started out as a Star Trek: TNG clone (except underwater!) in a very "Nineties" sense, but had some promise, which was undone by some pretty radical story changes in later seasons.

What I'd like to give another watch is some late 80s/early 90s fare like The New Adventures of Beans Baxter and Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Not sure how well they've held up though.