1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"Yaz" Birth Control

Discussion in 'Girl Stuff Forum' started by miller, Oct 14, 2010.

1. miller

miller TRIBE Member

Have any of you fine ladies had any experiences with it? My girlfriend is an American without insurance (for right now) and my Doctor gave me 3 months of Yaz samples. Apparently there are some concerns about blood clots and strokes.

Have any of you tried it? Have any of you liked it? Is it worth the risk? My g/f is a bit of a scaredy-cat lol so any reassurance might help. IMO - There are risks and side effects to everything, and only the nth degree of cases are reported because they sell newspapers!

So what's the lowdown on Yaz fair ladies?

PS - I know there's a gigantic Birth Control Thread but I didn't feel like sifting through all of the irrelevant information.

Please help!

2. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Never heard of Yaz, but don't all birth control have risk of blood clots and strokes?

3. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Pretty much every hormone based birth control states the same risks. If you're under 35 and don't smoke, the risk is minimal.

4. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

^ This.

How long before your gf gets insurance do you think?

Birth control pills cause major changes in a woman's system. To take the pills for 3 months and then go off them (If she still doesn't have insurance), is not a good idea. If you sift through the birth control thread you can see for yourself some of the issues women experience who've been on them for years. They can even change the shape of your eye and affect how contacts fit once started..or stopped (If your gf has contacts).

The safest bet is to wait until your gf has insurance and then choose the best birth control for her based on the advice of her doctor and her medical history.

Also, they can cause behavioural changes if not suited to your gf's needs. You may want to consider that ; )

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Yaz is different from other pills because it contains drospirenone.

I would be cautious, what's she going to do after 3 months? In light of the ongoing lawsuits surrounding this pill in particular I think it's better for her to wait and make her own decision once she has actual choice (i.e. a range of options).

6. ama-ley

ama-ley TRIBE Member

My sister-in-law suffered a major stroke in June at the ripe old age of 21. She was healthy and active with no other health issues. She was paralyzed on one side of her body, couldn't walk or speak immediately after it happened. She was able to walk again after about 2 weeks but has been intensive therapy ever since and still has a way to go (she is reading at a grade 5 level right now and she doesn’t have full movement back in one arms). She was on Yaz and the doctors immediately suspected the pill as a possible cause of the stroke. Of course there is no way of knowing for sure what caused the stroke but they have joined the Canadian Class Action Lawsuit.

7. miller

miller TRIBE Member

Many thanx for your advice. My Doctor here in Canada can always give me free samples of Yaz. I can supply her until she gets insurance in the first of the new year. My girlfriend says she needs a low dose one and Yaz is a low dose kind.

Yaz claims to help w/ moods :)

I agree that the best case scenario is for her to go to a Doctor who knows her history. The problem is that she sees a GP out of a clinic, like most Americans do, and he does not spend much time with her, nor does he know much of her history.

At the moment she is trying to get into a gynecologist. It is common in the US for women to see gynecologists semi-regularly. This would be great. But in the meantime we don't want any pregnancy scares ;) And we both HATE condoms.

Anyone try the patch? The ring? I heard guys can feel the ring.

8. miller

miller TRIBE Member

This was my understanding as well (Yaz is chemically different because of drospirenone).

I can supply her for as long as she needs before he insurance kicks in, but I agree. The more I think about it, the more I think she ought to speak w/ a professional and have a range of options. This is a bandaid solution that could fuck with her mind, body, mood, and thoughts.

9. miller

miller TRIBE Member

Wow. I'm sorry to hear. Thanks for sharing. I love my girlfriend too much. I think this settles my issue.

I had read about the lawsuits, but my thought was "Oh well, they all have risks, and people also get hit by lightening". Somehow this pills smacks of being different and more dangerous. No wonder their marketing and advertising is so aggressive and prevalent.

10. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

I think it depends on the people involved. My husband says he doesn't feel it. I've read reviews from people who say they can feel it, or who say it would come out during sex, or would fall out on its own (mostly with really petite women). That's never happened to me. But reaction to the ring will vary greatly from one person to the other because everybody's built differently. I'm fortunate that the only negative side effect I have is lowered libido (which I understand is unfortunately fairly common with low dose hormonal birth control). If you read the birth control thread (or look Nuva Ring up elsewhere online) you will see many girls who had to stop using it for a variety of reasons, some really bad. (I almost stopped using it after a month due to the side effects, but then it just balanced itself out.) Like anything else, there are horror stories. But you have to keep in mind as well that for every horror story you read online, there are many more success stories... because people are a lot more likely to feel compelled to write about the things that are going wrong, rather than the things that are going right.

Any kind of hormonal birth control pill will put the girl's body through a lot of changes and stress, so it's normal that some people will react badly to one thing, whereas someone else will have no trouble whatsoever. There is a risk taken no matter what brand of hormonal BC you are using (which is why doctors always do follow ups to make sure your blood pressure is normal, your cholesterol isn't too high, etc.).

If you are that concerned about your girl using something that could "fuck with her mind, body, mood, and thoughts", then hormonal birth control is probably not the way to go. I think pretty much all girls who have been on hormonal birth control will be able to tell you that it will do all of these things... some more than others. But if one brand affect her negatively, it doesn't mean that another one will have the same reaction. The key really is to find whatever works for your girl.

11. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

12. miller

miller TRIBE Member

hey, many thanx. but i am living in windsor and she is living in detroit. will ontario clinics see american patients who obviously don't have OHIP? i ought to look into this. thanks for the tip. i appreciate it.

13. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

the majority of clinics will ask for her health card, and if she can't provide one, they will still let her see a doctor, but then she will get billed for the services she receives.

14. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

If you make an appointment to see your GP, and she "comes along", then she can ask questions for FREE without paying for services. Advice is free. It's not like he's examining her, or prescribing her anything.

I hated the ring. It made me dry, and sex was painful. It made my libido very very low.

I also hated the patch. It made me spot daily.

I took birth control for 10 years (various brands, loved marvelon) and had major issues coming off of it. My cycle was so f'd. I had a period for weeks and weeks on end, then I was regular for a few months, and now I'm patiently awaiting my period. it's been a little over 5 weeks. I'm not pregnant, and no signs of my period coming any time soon either... ugh. ALTHOUGH, my sex drive has majorly increased since going off the pill. amazing! Ny husband couldn't be happier about it!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  15. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

I was on "Yaz" (at least I think that's what it was, but it was called Yasmin at the time and not marketed agressively as "Yaz", so maybe not. Terrible that I happily took something without knowing much about it). I started it in 2008 and discontinued about six months ago. It's a monophasic Pill, meaning it has the same ratio of hormones throughout the month and you can take it back to back without a week off to get a "period" (technically not a period because there's no ovulation, but I digress).

Long story short, it improved my skin and I didn't have any major issues with it at all. BUT, here I am six months later and I've only had my period twice. Now, mind you, before Yaz I was taking Triphasil 21 (natch, a triphasic birth control with varying ratios of hormones for each of the three weeks that I was taking it, designed to more closely mimic the body's natural cycle), so I can't really blame one Pill any more than the other for the issues I am experiencing now.

Skyparty, it drove/drives me insane to not know what was going on with my body/cycles. I recently started keeping track of my basal body temperature (BBT) to see if I could figure out if/when I ovulated and therefore could expect a period (or not). It saves me anxiety over whether I am pregnant or not and makes me feel more closely "connected" with my body and better informed about what's going on. Not sure if this is something you're interested in, but I highly recommend "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler, or hit me up with a pm if you have any q's.

16. miller

miller TRIBE Member

Thanks for this info!

17. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

if she can get the prescription you can get the pill for cheaper at The Bay Centre for Birth Control (its at ummm bay and college I think). its like $8 a pack.

disclaimer: this information was true since the last time I was there which was about 3 yrs ago.

I was taking alesse, I liked it and didnt have any problems, and im a smoker .... that was until recently when I came to the conclusion that the pill was the reason, my already bad skin, was soooooo bad. so I stopped taking it.

edit: oh i just noticed kirsten already wrote this.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  18. miller

miller TRIBE Member

So she's been on it for a week now. No sickness, no complaints.

My Doctor gave me another 3 months, so she has 6 months of samples for now.

Hopefully it works out for her. I told her about the lawsuits and told her she might want to watch her blood pressure.

It was her choice and she seems happy with it for now, but obviously time will tell.

19. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Hey, glad you posted an update. If it is crazy-making, she'll have lots of support in the Birth Control thread...

20. miller

miller TRIBE Member

I never thought of this. Good to know.