• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yanks will see your tax data

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Yanks will see your tax data

By TOM GODFREY, TORONTO SUN

U.S. border agents will soon have access to the immigration and tax records of Canadian residents for use in nabbing terrorists before they cross the American border. U.S. officials said an impending merger of Canadian and U.S. immigration and customs databases will also help them intercept illegal aliens, criminals and fugitives.

Officials said the measure will give U.S. front-line agents the power to check Canadian residents -- citizens, immigrants, refugees or visitors -- driving into the U.S. at land crossings.

They said U.S. officers will have access to Revenue Canada files, which contain tax information on Canadians, including their work records, property owned and investments.

That information may lead to unemployed people being refused entry into the U.S., officers said.

The merging of databases is one of 32 points in a smart border action plan that has been in the works since 2002.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/01/08/pf-307878.html

(sorry about the source)

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
That probably means if they ever change pot laws and you get a ticket for it the yanks will be all over you. Nothing to do with taxes but oh well.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Im not sure how "legal" that is given both the Federal and Ontario's new privacy laws regarding personal information. I dont think its as bad as this article says it is? One has to wonder though. Thanks for the heads-up!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I don't know much about it, I had only heard from a friend that the Americans were going to get more access to our personal records. I thought this might at least a part of that.

If anyone else sees the info printed anywhere other than that rag The Sun please post it...

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Lockheed Martin was contracted to do our next Census too :) Their company slogan is "We never forget who we're working for" too, how creepy is THAT!?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Im not sure how "legal" that is given both the Federal and Ontario's new privacy laws regarding personal information. I dont think its as bad as this article says it is? One has to wonder though. Thanks for the heads-up!

There's always exceptions. PIPEDA is now official legislation, but no one has complied to it yet...it'll get fleshed out in court...so until then, the American and Canadian government have time to negotiate exceptions to the law. ;)

nusty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DaPhatConductor
Lockheed Martin was contracted to do our next Census too :) Their company slogan is "We never forget who we're working for" too, how creepy is THAT!?

their whole company is uber creepy.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have anything on this from another source. Not that I on't trust the Sun, just that I need a minimum of three confirmations before I believe them.

Would this require a members bill in parliment, I assume that the government doesn't have the desire to do this. Outside of criminal data and maybe a few other details.

I can see them agreeing to te following..

- Marking any financial transactions over 10,000 in the last 48 hours. I can see them posting markers on people who are currently under bankruptcy protection.

But beyond telling them that yes I was employed last they knew, or if I owe massive amounts of money or just recieved money I don't know what value it would have.

The Canada US border is going to change if Bush is around much longer. Canada is a transit point for illegals going to the USA. (I'll try to find a reasonable article to back this up) and its estimated to have shipped around 6 billion in pot. It sucks ass but this isn't going much longer. In all honesty I want the border into Canada form the US tightened up a litttle. More than half of the guns in Canada come from the us illegally. Add to that the amount of consumer goods that are illegally imported.

I don't much like the border. I think Europe has a better idea, but I don't know if we can ever allow it. In the long term I think the US is a big enough problem to warrent a fence at last, Bob Dole once threatened to build one!! personally I celebrate the idea a little.

I want more distance from the US with every day that passes. I can't hp but think that we want to restrict the US more than they want to restrict us.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders