• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Yamaha RS7000

orange richie

TRIBE Member
No, but it looks purty! :) Maybe I'll head over to Steve's on the weekend and try it out, if they have it...

Rickardo Belmiro de la Cruz...

AVE

TRIBE Member
i've been wanting to get my hands on one of those since they came out. Pretty pricey though....

Last time i was @ Steve's they didn't have any of em

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Deus

TRIBE Member
I've had this at my place for a week not too long ago. It has some really amazing sounds on it, but I prefer the computer sequencer interface. Programing hardware sequencers takes such a long time.
It's got some killer drumkits, which I have all sampled :)
Filters are very nice too.
I didn't get into the sampling side of it, but it's a fully blown sampler as well as a drum machine.
I was seriously considering buying it, until tuesday, when I saw this other synth that I want now, and I won't be able to afford both.
Best thing would be to rent if for a week or so and just play with it to see if it is something that you're looking for.

Deus

TRIBE Member
No idea, I got it for free. But the price tag on it is around $2000-$2200, depending on where you buy it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

cdp

TRIBE Member
For the same price, you can put together a computer with the same capabilities... actually, with a simple computer system, you'll get far better interfacing and i/o, better sounds, more sounds, better sampling, more polyphony, hd recording, great effects, a *real* big screen, much greater memory expansion and tons of other things I'm not even thinking about.

Just the expandability of a basic pc system outweighs the headaches it'll give you... for being a pc.

There are many little things on the RS that are, of course, trade-offs so they could offer this thing for this price... Where are the digital i/o? Timing resolution could be higher. How about track based sequencing? What type of sample editing features does it have? Even if it has similar editing features to Yamaha's A series, compare that to your favorite mac or pc editor...

The RS would be groundbreaking if it's street price were around $600.

All this because I'm in a grumpy mood.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cdp
For the same price, you can put together a computer with the same capabilities...
To get a good computer would cost you about $2000 alone, plus you would need to buy software for that which would probably run you another $2000.

Originally posted by cdp
Where are the digital i/o?
You can get a expansion card for the RS that will give you digital I/O.

Originally posted by cdp
How about track based sequencing?
What does that mean?

Originally posted by cdp
What type of sample editing features does it have? Even if it has similar editing features to Yamaha's A series, compare that to your favourite mac or pc editor...
Loops can be cut up using points just like you would do in ReCycle.

But I do agree that with a PC, you do get a big screen and not a little 2 inch by 5 inch LCD. And working your way around this screen is much easier, than flipping through menus on the RS. That is why I perfer software sequencers, and editors.

However, the huge news from Yamaha that just came out a few weeks ago, is that Yamaha is bringing out a new technology that will allow you to control all your hardware options from within your PC native sequencer. So, there will be a plug-in for that will be able to fully control the RS7000. But this will probably take a year or so to integrate. It is *THE* thing I've been waiting for since I've started fooling around with all this gear. Go to the yamahasynth site, and check the news section, you can read more about it there.

cdp

TRIBE Member
Cutting and pasting audio is fun, but I was reffering to things like being able to stack plugins and apply them, easily saving different versions.

And although devices like (but limited to) the rs have interesting expandability options, something as simple as an delta66 (spdif, 6 analog i/o), an off-the-shelf p4 (a p3 would do), a logic audio gold/exs24 bundle and... it's the price of a rs!

If you get good prices on these items, you may have some money left over for an oxygen8 as well... knobs, a slider and two octaves could come in handy.

Btw, tc electronic has something called the powercore, which acts sorta like the digidesign dsp farms. It gives tc plugins cpu independent processing from this dsp card, and it works with just about any app. Now that's something pretty nifty, and in the future, we'll be able to run any plugin (or supplent the cpu for added track counts) with the support of dsp cards.

I agree that dedicated boxes are fun though.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cdp

Btw, tc electronic has something called the powercore, which acts sorta like the digidesign dsp farms. It gives tc plugins cpu independent processing from this dsp card, and it works with just about any app. Now that's something pretty nifty, and in the future, we'll be able to run any plugin (or supplent the cpu for added track counts) with the support of dsp cards.
Yeah, that card looks pretty nice. But I'm thinking about getting the UAD-1 card. It has vintage style compressors, and EQs, and people to whom I've talked to that use it, swear by it. It's going for around $1100 compared to the Powercore that goes for $1700. Creamware also has a similar card called the PulsarXTC. But the thing with these cards is that you have to use the software that was especially designed for it.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus

Yeah, that card looks pretty nice. But I'm thinking about getting the UAD-1 card. It has vintage style compressors, and EQs, and people to whom I've talked to that use it, swear by it. It's going for around $1100 compared to the Powercore that goes for $1700. Creamware also has a similar card called the PulsarXTC. But the thing with these cards is that you have to use the software that was especially designed for it.
Yeah I have the UAD-1 card. It's amazing. The sound quality of the plugins are incredible ... although I have limited studio experience, I say they are some of the best plugins available. Their channel strip alone (EQ, compressor, delay, reverb all in one) is amazing, well worth the price of the card alone. Add on to that the two vintage compressors (Urei 1176 and Teletronix LA-2A), the RealVerb and the soon to be released Pultec EQ ... and the card is unreal. All they need is a top notch delay ... but I just use the OHm boyz delay.

I know many producers who are saving up for a second UAD card ... so they can run the channel strip on all their channels.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

cdp

TRIBE Member
I couldn't imagine investing in dedicated dsp at this time. The idea that only some plugins work with these cards just sounds too restrictive. At least on TDM systems all plugins benefit from adding dsp cards. But then you to deal with the dreadful programs (ok, unless it's Logic on a mac). So, for me it's either a very powerful computer or external processing.

Kid Epic

TRIBE Member
"Where are the digital i/o?"

according to the image of the back of the RS7000 it looks like it's got both SPDIF in and out as well as ADAT in and out for a total of 18 digital I/O standard.

I really like ADAT, it eliminates the need for 16 TRS cables.

16 channels of 24bit 96khz audio in 2 cables shooting light back and forth!

cdp

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Kid_Epic
"Where are the digital i/o?"

according to the image of the back of the RS7000 it looks like it's got both SPDIF in and out as well as ADAT in and out for a total of 18 digital I/O standard.

I really like ADAT, it eliminates the need for 16 TRS cables.

16 channels of 24bit 96khz audio in 2 cables shooting light back and forth!
Well, now that I looked at the image, I see that it has that card that was mentioned earlier. That's where the digital i/o are...

However, when an optical interface isn't explicitly marked as adat, it's usually optical spdif/toslink.

charles

(adat litepipe, btw, only transmits 8 simultaneous channels, and spdif only 2)

derek

TRIBE Member
Solid unit; I had the op to test it out at MIAC last year. Little too pricey for me, though.

Cheers,

Derek

Kid Epic

TRIBE Member
"However, when an optical interface isn't explicitly marked as adat, it's usually optical spdif/toslink. "

True!

"(adat litepipe, btw, only transmits 8 simultaneous channels, and spdif only 2)"

What ADAT system are you running?

I'm running 16 channels of ADAT through one set of I/O back and forth from my Yamaha 01V to the RME soundcard.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cdp
I couldn't imagine investing in dedicated dsp at this time. The idea that only some plugins work with these cards just sounds too restrictive. At least on TDM systems all plugins benefit from adding dsp cards. But then you to deal with the dreadful programs (ok, unless it's Logic on a mac). So, for me it's either a very powerful computer or external processing.
Yeah I see your point of view ... however that's like saying I don't want to buy an outboard reverb because I won't be able to use it to run a compression program. Think of the dedicated DSP cards as hardware that uses a software interfaces. In the case of the UAD think of it as installing $20,000+ worth of hardware processors in the form of a $1300 dsp card. The cost of getting vintage dual Urei 1176s (for a single stereo channel) and dual Teletronix LA2As alone is going to be $7000US+. This card gives an incredibly close emulation of them and offers you several instances at a time. And the best part ... those compressors are only a few of the plugins offered.

The quality of these plugins are unreal.

Every producer I've talked to/heard from has been blown away by this card except for one .... so I bought his card from him for a pretty good deal. I wasn't planning on getting it so soon ... but I couldn't pass on the price. I'm very happy that I have it.

cdp

TRIBE Member
I hope I don't come-off as some grumpy old geezer who hates computers (i'm only 30!). Or even a troll or something.

I use real la's, 1176s, pultecs and other nifty devices frequently. And although I've never heard the uad, and am certain it must sound amazing (really), I don't think they sound close enough for someone to say "hey, that sounds like an la2". So making a direct comparison of the uad and purchasing of the real devices isn't quite that fair.

And, of course, I'm not bad-talking the hardware. I'm just pointing out that you're basically paying for supercharged software. So, it's like an ultra powerful bomb factory suite for 1.3k.

Ok, I'm finished.

cdp

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah...

I'm a pc person, yes. At the moment I'm in my "on the road" mode using a laptop.

I'd imagine most people here are pc people. Mac people all hang out on aol...