1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Yahoo Top Ad Malware Distributor, Says It’s Not Their Problem

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Mar 23, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Malware Distributing Cunts

Yahoo’s Right Media YieldManager is the top ad network malware distributor, says a study by Avast that CNET covered today.

What’s Yahoo’s response? It’s not the ad network’s fault, it’s the publishers who use them. Right Media VP Bennie Smith says “Partnering with a third-party ad network is a good thing, but you can’t remove all the risk and shift all the responsibility to the ad network…The user is coming to your site, not to the ad network. The primary responsibility still resides with you.”

haha. not really. Or at least it was a response to a different story.

Smith said that in response to another article where malware popped up on TechCrunch via an ad network. He likely said it after checking that we don’t serve Yahoo ads. He was in the clear. And yes, I made a mental note about it at the time.

Yahoo’s actual response now that they are sending the malware directly: “We have identified the creatives in question and are working to make sure they been deactivated in our system,”.

Why is Google way down on the list of bad guys in serving Malware? “”The Google portion of JS:prontexi is quite small and has gotten visibly even smaller as they have taken steps to improve the situation,” Sejtko said. “That is not the case with Yahoo and Fox.”"

Yahoo’s attitude seems to have remained the same from the first article to the second – this is the publisher’s issue, not theirs, and they have apparently been ignoring the problem. I think it would have been so much more fun if they just trashed their entire publisher network instead and gave the old Bennie Smith quote again today.

But the fact is that there is a trust relationship between a publisher and an ad network. There is little a publisher can do to stop malware once it hits the ad network. The fact that some of this stuff hits Google.com and Yahoo.com and other major sites with thousands of employees illustrates this perfectly. Malware must be stopped at the Ad Network, and it’s a relatively simple thing to do at that stage. Unless you’re Yahoo, I guess.

yahoo is balls, dont have any services with them, and try to avoid them as much as possible, but this is so lame.

[jai]

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

can you tell me what this means in normal people words please.

3. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Ever since they converted Rogers old mail to Yahoo, I have to have my spam filter set to on which immediately deletes unwanted mail. I would get over 500 spams a day minimum without it. Yahoo is def ballz.

4. glych t.anomaly

it means when you are browsing sites that are linked through Yahoos search engine alot of the sites, house malware.

so basically Yahoo is saying it is incumbent on the publisher of the site to ensure that the malware is not there to infect your computer. but that is garbage as Yahoo could easily take steps to lessen the amount of malware significantly.

and as PAUZE stated, if you have a yahoo mail account, well the spam that comes in, is unbelievable.

so basically dont use Yahoo for anything if you want your pretty little laptop to run well.

[jai]

5. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

so if im searching for things I should use google? which I do anyway.
    but dont google and yahoo take you to the same sites anyway, so how can there be more malware in yahoo than in google.
    like if i search "tribe" - if i get to it thru yahoo then there is more malware than if I searched for and went to it thru google?

i do like the Yahoo questions and answers thingy, i use that. I like to give young teenagers advice and make them cry. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Really? I've had a Yahoo account for years and I only started getting spam a couple weeks ago, and even then I get like 1 or 2 a week, if that.

I signed up for gmail once, and the amount of spam I get in that account is frightening, despite the fact I've never used that email address for anything other than personal storage, and never gave out the address.

7. glych t.anomaly

that is so bizzare. my gmail account, i never get spam, ever, if anything like spam comes in, its auto routed to my spam folder.

my wifes yahoo acct, i swear she deletes like 10 - 20 emails a day, hotmail is another one that i was getting like 30 emails a day of spam.

thats so weird its the exact opposite for you.

Dirty,

you can look up similar sites through both Yahoo and Google search. but its sites that yahoo suggests you go to first, vs what google would tell you to go to that is the issue. the sites yahoo tells you to go to when not searching for a specific site i.e. tribe.ca , but say you entered ' message board ' and nothing else.

then yahoo's would be more likely to have malware, than the sites google would direct you too.

[jai]

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

bad yahoo!! :mad:

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I have a yahoo email account had one since I first started on the interweb it's decades old. I get rarely ANY spam in my inbox. Yes I have a spam folder that's huge but I NEVER have a problem not getting something OR getting spam in my inbox.

10. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

I have huge a problem with hotmail, I've getting 50ish spams a DAY and that particular email was my "good" email until I switched to Yahoo. I never get spam on that account.

Lately I have had issues with a Trojan Horse Virus? They keep going to quarantine but is there any way to get rid of it? It keeps coming back and I don't dowload anything on this comp.

11. glych t.anomaly

if you are running Windows, download Microsoft Security Essentials.

Download

its free, and they are rated the best Anti Virus for free i believe aside from AVG 9.0.
    hopefully one of those will take care of it.

[jai]

12. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

As the article mentions the issue is with Yahoo's ad server - Yield Manager, and Yahoo's craptastic job of accepting creative (ads) through ad exchanges without the (same concept as a stock exchange except buying and selling ads) taking proper measures to ensure it's an advertiser that isn't going to be damaging to users viewing the ad within Yahoo's network.

The problem of course for any old person farting around on the web, is that you are not able to identify that you are viewing an ad within the Yahoo network. Yahoo marked pages are actually a very small part of their network.

Publishers....all the sites you go on all the time from CNN to MSN to The Globe and Mail sell unsold ad inventory to 'networks'. These are then traded and sold and re-traded and sold a bajillion times at any given moment....and then used by the very same networks to serve ads. As per the graph, many of the networks are not anything you would recognize as they are not one main site or portal, while some like Google, or Yahoo or MSN are--as they are also in the business of ad networks and exchanges. (Ex. Google is a search engine, but the Google ad network is an entirely different thing)

Yahoo and MSN and all the other networks are all selling inventory from the same publishers so you rarely are able to recognize as a user what adserver (owned by whom) is actually serving you the offending ad. You will not be able to identify it simply through the site. The majority of Yahoo's sites and inventory within Yield Manager is not marked with a Y! as a Yahoo site. They are simply found within the Yahoo ad network of sites. Ex. CNN is not a Yahoo property, but is along with a thousand other sites part of their network. The concept is often called a 'blind' network.

In summary, you can't really purposefully avoid Yield Manager and yes Yahoo as a company is obviously a giant turd for accepting anybody's buck and then pretending it's not their fault.

13. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

check your sent folder and make sure you dont have 50ish spams goings out as well. I noticed all these messages i never sent one day, someone told me to change my password. I did, no more sent messages, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less incoming spam now.

14. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

first off, who the hell is using Yahoo to search for shit?? sirus lee?

I've checked my rogers through yahoo for years now and I get maybe 3 spam messages a day, and they always end up in spam folder.

Once a week I clean out maybe 30 messages at most.

PAUZE - maybe you shouldn't use the same email address for registering as you do for personal use. I have another account just for email lists, password registrations etc...

15. glych t.anomaly

awesome post, thanks for this :)

[jai]

16. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

Your search engine of choice has nothing to do with the Spam you recieve. Nothing!!!

And Google has the highest share of the market in Canada, but actually other search engines still get a lot of action in other countries. Yahoo for instance accounts for about 30% of search activity in the U.S. I know...wha?!!

17. glych t.anomaly

wouldnt it stand to reason though that if...

97 % of Google's revenue is from Ads. So if they have a more stringent process in place, in respect to what they allow/host for their clients adverts, and they have better technology in place to prevent the amount of Malware, that could be the difference between what they are doing, in comparison to what yahoo has in place.

regardless i would love to have more information on this.

[jai]

18. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

Not totally sure I understand the reasoning, but possibly I've confused the issue with my blathering.

Nearly all the revenue from any search engine, portal or individual site is from ad revenue. They all do the same thing, and any revenue that is gleaned from ad network (versus saying to a specific advertiser: here's the cost to run just in the sports section of or site) sold inventory is the same across the board for all of the major players.

The points of differentiation for all of the different networks is how they manage their inventory and deliver efficiencies to those using their network versus another's. It's really the sophistication of the ad server (for Yahoo it's Yield Manager) and how they apply different bids and delivery to all of these different ads. Each ad network has their own algorithm for how they do do this and there are pros and cons of each ---dependent on an advertisers objective.

With regard to malware, an advertiser doesn't care about this fact when selecting an ad network --as they are not the offender and this is a technical issue on Yahoo's back end. Basically the industry is saying, 'Yahoo you fucks, sort this shit out...everyone else seems to be able to do it, and we would limit the crap floating around the digital space'. Bringing it to the attention of users is good, as we can say Yahoo your business practices suck and you're fucking us up and we have no control or way to avoid it. Governing associations in the interactive space (like the IAB) will also now put pressure on Yahoo due to this study and they will have to respond.

19. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Jeez, if you're getting a mass annoyable amount of spam (outside of your junk filter) in your personal email, why not just start a new email address? I bet you haven't even changed passwords in the last 5 years. You're a hackers dream target.

20. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

I have two yahoo email accounts and NEVER get spam at all...