• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

XP Media Centre Edition - Do I need it?

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
Going to be buying a new computer in the next few days and I keep seeing this XP Media Centre OS. First off, do I need it? Will my stand alone programs such as VLC, Winamp, Picassa etc. do the same thing? What are the benefits of this new OS? Is this the first attempt for Microsoft to control my entire living room?

Just looking for the Coles notes here on this, no need to get too technical with me. Tell me what to do tribe!

lobo

TRIBE Member
Media Center is just an application that runs ontop of Windows XP. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. Generally, MCE2005 machines are little beefier as they have certain conditions that must be met before they can be marketed as a media center box. If you don't like it, you can always nuke the install and do a fresh installation of just Windows XP without the MCE option.

BTW, I use MCE2005 as my media server at home and it works great on some older hardware.

Lobo