AI seems a lot smarter, though occasionally you end up seeing a ridiculous move that results in an easy kill for the player...
Tried on Classic - Ironman for a few different tries, kept getting smoked. Started again on Normal and bumped up to classic after getting laser weapons - been chugging along ever since!'
Some really tough new mission types: some fresh missions with the chryssalids and also a continuing series against "Exalt", a group working with the aliens that you end up sending one of your soldiers to in order to prepare the ground for a raid on an Exalt cell.
Pretty cool beans - when you show up your operative is there as a weak "extra man", but if you sent them in with Support class/medpack, its like having another 3-use medipack guy around!
Two new options for your squad: mech assault trooper - just about as cool as it sounds, whole new upgrade path.
Gene mods - can modify genes to get cloaking, health regen, better aim - both the mechs and the gene modding require "Meld" a new substance you can recover from game maps (introduces bit of a cool mechanic as they time out if you dont pick em up in time - can lead to reckless mistakes!)
Anyway if you have this game no point playing with out the expansion - adds a lot of new tricks for those bored and waiting for the sequel this is almost like a sequel in some respects!
is the xcom enemy unknown on the iphone the same as the PC version? It was loads of fun, although I loled when meeting the final boss, going through his majestic cutscene making him seem really dangerous, and then killing him in the first turn with a rocket and double-tap.
Im finding I'm having big success in the missions on Commander - but had to restart as it does take a new approach on the base building/research/manufacturing side of things.
Was letting the aliens get too far in the Avatar project so on my restart did much better: prioritized comms a lot more and acquiring as much staff (engineers/scientists) as I could every month.
Now I have the breathing room to really tech up - I am just about maxed on armaments with my plasma rifles/snipers finally online - but have more advanced armor to try and my psionics lab is only being built just now.
So havent yet had a chance to try my hand at any of the more advanced soldier abilities/builds possible...
Anyway - amazing, amazing sequel - its like everything is better really!!
ya i was worried about bugs but can only assume reviewers had a version sent early with a few more.
Not one crash, nothing that messed up a single turn yet.
My hour counter is up to 12-15 hours now - or must be close to that anyhow.
Worst that's happened is after selecting an action game pauses for like, 5 seconds more than you'd think. That happens once every few missions. Totally tolerable. Oh and when clicking on which promotion to take, i've had to ESC out and go back a few times cause something about the layout makes it hard to view/click the left-most column of promotions sometimes. Takes about 3 seconds to rectify, get out/go back in to the promotions option menu.
This has happened maybe after 4-5 missions and I've easily got close to 30+ missions under my belt if not more.
So I was bracing for impact on reports of "buggyness" - and have basically not experience a single bug that had any serious impact or cause any serious problem for me during/after a mission.
Jump in, the water's fine!
THough I know with PC gaming everyone's system is different, maybe you will trigger more bugs who the hell knows....
Yikes hit my first tech issues - Nvidia came out with SLI profile in new drivers this week. Performance increase happened right away when I turned it on and it was nice!
But had my first game crashes after doing so in some missions so I'm going back to single card until new patch/next Nvidia iteration maybe...
As for pacing I had one weird game for my first one where I was kicking ASS in the missions but losing the game, the Avatar progress was getting too high and I had too little time to catch up and roll it back.
One reason you need to prioritize comms/contacts is because this is the basis of your economy - but the other reason is that Avatar facilities and important events will occur *somewhere* in the world, and if you have spread out a ways then this will mean you have less territories to connect to GET to that facility OR it may pop up in place you already contro
My issue in game #1 was being too far away from these facilities with not enough resources/time to even open up the territory so I could even start those missions.
So yes, in terms of build order prioritize comms -get an Advanced Warfare Center as early as you can too - the bonus promotions that can happen once you do are great.
If you're even *thinking* about Psilabs get one early so you can train rookies from the get go - i've built one and havent even used it because I've been in a dry stretch for rookies and all my guys were promoted by the time it was finished building.
OK so some updates:
- Hotfix issued feb 17th has stopped all crashing
- also I stopped with the "CAPS LOCK" trick of hitting the button during the end of missions to speed things up and heard this can contribute to crashing so maybe that had a hand in it too - anyway, pretty much perfect gameplay last few sessions so I aint complaining!
- ok so I figured out where I can recruit soldiers - DOH - needed rookies badly! Finally have some going up the psi-ladder!
- Getting my bag of tricks more and more refined, missions are going pretty well and rarely am I cornered in too horrible of a situation. I am still reloading but I just want to figure out all the mechanics (like where the fuck to get rookies!) and my mission plans so I can do a Commander/Ironman run next! Have lost only one soldier but thats because of some trickery on my part with the reloading - i forsee a lot of dead soldiers on my hands in ironman!! But hopefully not so many I can't still win!
- I LOVE hacking and taking control of turrets and robots - can't wait for my psi-enabled soldiers to get some mind control. This shit certainly saves my bacon as any controlled unit becomes a target, immediately for all the aliens. The mimic beacon is also amazing and helped me get out of a ton of bad situations!