1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Xcom to be revisited by Firaxis (unhhhh....)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by praktik, Jan 5, 2012.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

2. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

From what I understand, the FPS game (simply titled XCOM) is still coming out, this is an announcement now of a second one (XCom : Enemy Unknown) that is properly sticking to its turn based strategy roots.

And this announcement has me super excited!

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

i replayed xcom about 8 months ago.. still worth playing!

nervous to load up terror from the deep... so hard...annoyingly so sometimes..;)

4. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

There's so much a lack of turn based tactical/strategy games out there (dead genre? I hope not), and with the disappointment when the XCom FPS game was announced, that this comes as such a nice supprise.

I lost so many hours of sleep to the original XCom.

Another little unknown gem in the genre (didn't get that fantastic of reviews but I really enjoyed it) was Ghost Recon : Shadow wars for the Nintendo 3DS. Same tactical, turn based strategy gameplay.

These types of games are too few and far between nowadays though :(

5. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Add air combat simulation to that list. I miss me some Microprose Falcon and Stealth Fighter.

If someone says HAWX, I'll throw this hot coffee in your eyes.

[YOUTUBE]uGBLRMbDWgs[/YOUTUBE]

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

i LOVED the Comanche Maximum Overkill games...

what was it too, "texels" instead of "pixels"? they had that crazy way of building a 3D environment....

7. Lurker

Lurker TRIBE Member

holy shit this brings me back a few years.

I had (and loved) the original Falcon F16 for the Commodore Amiga way back in the day. I felt it was more fluid and "real" than the Microprose sims for the pc's of the same era. Falcon 3.0 was excellent (and damn hard).

The Apache and Commanche games were really good as well.

Praktik - I totally remember the texels from Comanche. Was pretty cutting edge for its day!

As for xCom, I played that heavily as well as a kid. Would be fun to take another crack at the original, and might pick up the new one eventually

8. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

I think Comanche used voxels (not sure what texels are). I never really got into flight sims. I didn't really dig UFO either. I was talking to a friend about this recently and realized i played a predecessor called Rebelstar as well, but it never did much for me. That said, there are quite a few games of both genres still going around on Steam, just not AAA titles i guess. One of my friends just bought DCS: A-10C Warthog, and another Frozen Synapse. You just have to look indie.

I'm more pissed that they're remaking Syndicate as an FPS. Seriously, wtf.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

you on frozen synapse alison? I tooled around in there a while back so I'm rusty, but happy to have a game some time if you got it too!

10. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

a month away!

11. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

Can't believe I missed this until now. LOVED X-Com: Enemy Unknown, and Terror of the Deep. Played for soooo many hours back in Uni.

Pre-ordered and ready to rock once this launches!

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

preordered as well!

HIGH FIVE!!

I forget the name but there is an idie version some die-hards are saying will be better spiritual successor to Xcom, been in development for some years and is behind schedule... when I find I will post here... will be xcom but without the official xcom theme....

13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

hey jmaggs, good on ya for getting through terror from the deep - that one was annoyingly hard I didn't last long...

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

15. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

best part about the originals is when you find the ships.. you're like what the fuck?

this is the baddest shit ever.

they better recreate those moments and not just make it a alien shoot em up.

but they made civ so they can't fail.

16. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

just watched a bunch of movies and it looks like during the designer/programmer interviews they're more obsessed with their 3d camera work watching baddies get blown away, then they go oh yeah, we've like totally streamlined the limitations on turns because it was annoying, and made it more fun. But it's still there, but it's not the same!. Then they add there's more shit to hide behind, so that's adding strategy.

ugh.

not really holding out much hope for this. The originals were scary, and limitations were the entire game. that's what made it so wicked.

[/rant]

17. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I read some good hands on experiences at recent game shows - I think there's reason to believe the streamlining was done well..

19. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

LOL I remember being so frustrated, but would have like 10 different saves going on at once to make sure I could revert back to different points if things went too far off track.

I don't think I ever finished Terror from the Deep, but got pretty close. I remember finally capturing and researching the Lobstermen commanders in one of those MASSIVE multi tier hives and finding the Alien city, but don't think I ever beat it as my tech wasn't good enough.

Man, makes me want to play all over again, but with the Interwebs to help me this time lol.

20. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

actually the base building looks pretty bad ass from that glimpse at the end there.

21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

This is how it will shake down:
    - "official" xcom will take original concept, retain the xcom theme, and have things streamlined/updated a bit
    - the indie xenonauts may be the more faithful update to the original (beta coming in October!)

Both I think will offer opportunity for fun and I think in the case that the official Xcom title falls short we all have a very cool looking indie effort to fill the gap!

I will get both.

22. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

This thread made me go digging and I found my old X-Com collectors edition. Been playing TFTD and forgot how addictive it is, and how easy it is to take 10 turns and forgetting to save before losing your best Aquanaught lol.

Pumped for next month!

23. DJ Doublecross

DJ Doublecross TRIBE Member

It's out, bitches.

Time to start training my squad.

24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

steam is downloading, should be finished now..;)

25. DJ Doublecross

DJ Doublecross TRIBE Member

I have a voucher for a free download of Civilization V if anyone wants it. I already have the game but got a free download from Steam as a bonus for pre-ordering X-Com.