• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Xbox 2 WON'T be backwards compatible

silver1

TRIBE Member
From XBox.ign.com

IGN did a feature on the possibilites for the next XBox console. None of this has been confirmed by MS, but IGN's always been pretty reliable.

Backwards Compatibility
This one is pretty obvious. Like the PlayStation 2 plays PS One games, we want the Xbox 2 to play Xbox games. Simple as that. Not only does this dramatically increase the game library right when the console is released, but it gives gamers a cheap way to buy and play games from an older generation. Look at how successful the PS2 is. We can't think of any gamer out there that wouldn't love to have this feature. Plus, we could still keep our Xbox games out while retiring one console, cutting down on the console mess many of us have in front of our television.

Will it happen? No.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
All I have to say is that fucking sucks... but at the same time, what can you expect from Microsoft?
The do the same thing with their software.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I own an XBox, no complaints.

But this is so typical of Microshaft.

Like their Certifications :p

pr0nstar :D

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
Did they give an explanation why it wont be backwards compatible? (I cant check at work)
No. That was the odd thing. With other stuff they talked about, they (IGN) gave big explanations as to their reasoning. For this one it was just a resounding "No".

Although one could speculate that with MS dumping the nVidia chipset in favour of an ATI chipset might have something to do with it.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY
The do the same thing with their software.
what?

and why wouldn't they make it backwards compatible? the consoles themselves do not make any money - it's a loss leader. the games make the money.

unless they're pissed at the fact that people transform them easily and rip games for free from the 'net.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
Please explain
I will give one a milion, but I don't have time to waste on Microcrap. Check their web site, they have tons of bug reports, etc... etc...

Oh, and I have XBOX too.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vinder

TRIBE Member
I will give one a milion, but I don't have time to waste on Microcrap. Check their web site, they have tons of bug reports, etc... etc...

Oh, and I have XBOX too.
uh hello, every bit of software ever made is buggy. i work for a software company and we have made many thousands of bug fixes in roughly three years. and it's nowhere near as complicated as someof the stuff microsoft puts out.

and saying you have an xbox doesn't validate your OPINION.

Last edited:

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder
uh hello, every bit of software ever made is buggy. i work for a software company.

and saying you have an xbox doesn't validate your OPINION.
I am saying I have an XBOX because I am happy with it, I wasn't trying to validate my opinion with that. I know every software has bugs, I AM the product manager for a software company, so I know all about bugs...

I have already stated my point earlier in the thread, I was just making conversation afterwards.

vinder

TRIBE Member
you still haven't shown why defect reports prove that microsoft "does the same thing with their software"

labRat

TRIBE Member
I have already stated my point earlier in the thread, I was just making conversation afterwards.
the point was that microsoft is not backwards compatible ... most of their software is backwards and forwards compatible with new OSes.

now bugs are another issue.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter

Oh, and I have XBOX too.
Oh, I see.
There is much insight in your words.
:rolleyes:

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by labRat
the point was that microsoft is not backwards compatible ...
Ok... If you say so...

Originally posted by labRat
most of their software is backwards and forwards compatible with new OSes.
So is it or isn't it?

I don't see any insight in her post.

It's so easy to bash microsoft.
:rolleyes:

labRat

TRIBE Member
sorry - my posting skills suxors. must be this windows box.

i was stating that the issue was about back/for-wards compatibility with microsoft. they aren't doing it for xbox, but they do do it for windows to an extent.

KL is stating that microsoft doesn't do this at all. xbox and software.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Most software is not backward/forward compatible.

ie) MS Word... you can't open a new Word Document with any older versions, unless you save it for the older versions.

But I'm pretty sure it's no different than Corel WP.

There is a typical problem IMO. Which I can never understand, why not keep using the same format?

pr0nstar :D

vinder

TRIBE Member
but you can always open up older versions documents in the newer versions.

why not keep the same format?

cause sometimes big improvements are made that use radically different techniques and you have to change.