• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

X-Tina + Breakbeats = Decent Track?

The Peej

TRIBE Member
I risk a lot of humiliation here. I did a search, and found nothing. However I still don't feel confidently out of the "timeline" danger zone. Also, I live in PEI now. This means musically, that I'm in a time capsule, 5 years in the past. A place where "Blue - Ifel 65" and anything by "Love Inc." are still in high rotation!

But I feel this deserves discussion, and I'm not able to find discussions on the subject. So at the risk of ridicule, here goes nothin'.

Anyone else hear/see the new Christina Aguillera track/video?
It's call "Ain't No Other Man" and besides the video being a fairly overdone "throwback" style, the song is really catchy! And it's a breakbeat from what my old antiquated dusty "electronica identifying sensors" tell me.

I'm really impressed by the actual tune. I'm stunned that X-tina hasn't been reduced to the level of suck that Britney has. How does she survive? By painting her face and hair to make her look like she's from the 1920's apparently.

Anyway. The track dosen't suck. The beat is a break.

Obligatory YouTube Link

That is all.

ThePeej™

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i shamefully admit to hearing this song piped into the ladies room, and bopping my head while i took a leak.

*shame spiral*

Soulster

TRIBE Member
just because it's pop doesn't mean it's bad, jess. (tho it usually does.)

my issue with x-tina is that since she started she hasn't actually improved or evolved musically. sure, she's got an incredible set of pipes especially for such a tiny girl, a great range, seemingly good vocal flexibility... but all of her "licks" - where she goes all warbly on a long note - are the same as the ones from songs from five years ago, which tells me (IMO) that she's not actually trying to get better. she's just maintaining the same shit as before. boooring.

i'm trying to figure out where the brass sample comes from... i'm sure it's obvious but i can't place it.

and wow... i just rambled on like a self-important asshole about a christina aguilera song. menh. i still think my opinion is relevant.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I LOVE the funk samples.

But as Vinder mentioned once, it does feel.. unfinished.. There seems to be a missing off beat throughout the song.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Peej

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:
just because it's pop doesn't mean it's bad, jess. (tho it usually does.)

my issue with x-tina is that since she started she hasn't actually improved or evolved musically. sure, she's got an incredible set of pipes especially for such a tiny girl, a great range, seemingly good vocal flexibility... but all of her "licks" - where she goes all warbly on a long note - are the same as the ones from songs from five years ago, which tells me (IMO) that she's not actually trying to get better. she's just maintaining the same shit as before. boooring.

i'm trying to figure out where the brass sample comes from... i'm sure it's obvious but i can't place it.

and wow... i just rambled on like a self-important asshole about a christina aguilera song. menh. i still think my opinion is relevant.

Your suposed self-important rant was actually an excercise in peer opinion validation. That is to say, thanks for replying to my thread with valid points, cause for a few hours there I was feeling pretty un-validated as the read counts rose and the reply count froze. LOL

I do think your right on the money about her being good, but hardly dynamic.

Kudos to her producer(s) it's a hot track!

vinder

TRIBE Member
i like this song. but it's missing a kick drum in the breakbeat which makes you....pause, while bobbing yoru head. but i still dig it lots.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
The Peej said:
Anyone else hear/see the new Christina Aguillera track/video?
It's call "Ain't No Other Man" and besides the video being a fairly overdone "throwback" style, the song is really catchy! And it's a breakbeat from what my old antiquated dusty "electronica identifying sensors" tell me.

I'm really impressed by the actual tune. I'm stunned that X-tina hasn't been reduced to the level of suck that Britney has. How does she survive? By painting her face and hair to make her look like she's from the 1920's apparently.

Anyway. The track dosen't suck. The beat is a break.
Just an FYI that the track is produced by none other than DJ Premier...that's why it's so damn good!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cri

TRIBE Member
I really like it. The breakbeat definetley ups it by a couple of points! :) and I even like the video..crazy !

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
There is something very michael jackson about this - plus why are they digitally fucking with the tone of her voice? if the girls got one thing (other than herpes) its a voice! stupid producers!

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
Its all about Premier! He was falling off a little bit recently, but this year he is back in fine form! Supposedly he did 5 tracks on this album. But the other stuff he's put out this year, on fire! And if this Nas/Premier collabo actually materializes its gonna be a great time for music.

also as I said in the hip hop forum the new tune az- the format is amazing! too bad most people will overlook it, one of premiers best beats in a long time! better than this Christina one in my opinion.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories