• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

X-Box not doing so well.

G

Report in Japanese!!

Translation:
The Microsoft Xbox is doing a lot worse in Japan than I imagined. Bandai's Wonderswan Color actually sold better than the Xbox last week, according to the latest report by Bloomberg and Media Create Co.

Number of sales for last week goes as follows:
PS2- 55000
GBA- 31000
GC- 10000
PS- 3000
WSC- 2000
XB- 1800.

Maybe they should slash the price a bit like in Europe.- it'll guarantee higher sales. Hopefully something big is planned for announcement at the E3.

------------------------------------------------
from Reuters.com
-------------------------------------------------

TOKYO/LONDON (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. said on Thursday it would cut the price of its new Xbox video game console by nearly 40 percent in Europe and by a third in Britain this month, just six weeks after launch.

The company said the Xbox price tag would be reduced in Europe to 299 euros ($266) from 479 and in Britain to 199 pounds ($288) from 300 to boost what some industry observers are calling disappointing sales.

The new price will now match that of market leader Sony Corp's best-selling PlayStation 2 console in Europe.

"I would say it is the quickest price drop of any major console launch," said Stuart Dinsey, managing editor of "Games Trade Weekly MCV," a UK-based trade publication covering the video game industry.

"It's very brave to do this now," he added, "If they hadn't made the movement on price soon it would have become a disappointing launch."

Game publishers had been urging Microsoft to spur sales of the machine by cutting its prices in Europe, where it went on sale on March 14. The new prices will take effect on April 26.

Microsoft has poured billion of dollars into the development of Xbox and committed $500 million in marketing muscle to grab a stake of the $20 billion global game industry.

Dinsey said the publication estimates Xbox has performed well in the UK, with sales of an estimated 60,000 to 70,000 units since its launch last month.

The problem markets are France and Germany, he said, which he estimated sales amount to 20,000 and "as low as 12,000," respectively.

Microsoft could not be immediately reached for comment on the sales estimates. The company has not released any sales figures for Xbox outside of the United States.

SLUGGISH SALES

The European market is considered the third-largest video game market but has grown in importance over the past decade.

"This is a long-term strategic move that will benefit our retail partners, our third-party publishing partners and ultimately the gamer," said Sandy Duncan, a Microsoft vice president in Europe in charge of Xbox, in a statement.

Analysts have been concerned about sluggish sales of Xbox outside the United States, where it went on sale in November, and have noted slowing production by the machine's manufacturer, Flextronics International Ltd.

The chief executive of game publisher THQ Inc, Brian Farrell, said this week that Xbox was struggling in Japan and continental Europe because of content and pricing issues, and he urged Microsoft to implement a price cut in Europe soon.

Xbox sells for 34,800 yen ($266) in Japan and $299 in the United States. Sony's PlayStation 2 sells for 29,800 yen ($228) in Japan and $299.99 in the United States.

Microsoft has not said whether it was considering a similar price cut in Japan, now the only market where the Xbox is sold at a premium over PlayStation 2.

Sony has been reducing the price of its console steadily in recent months in response to competition from Microsoft and Nintendo Co. Ltd., a long-time game powerhouse and pioneer.

European and U.K. customers who had already bought the Xbox at its initial price will be given a "thank-you package," Microsoft said. Details will be posted on the Xbox Web site next week.

Microsoft has been guarded about detailing how many consoles it has sold since it launched the Xbox in the United States.

The company has said only that it sold 1.5 million units through the end of 2001 and that it is generally pleased with sales since then.

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
I cant believe the Shitcube is outselling it.

Though the PS/2 has some sweet titles out now.............

:)d

nleye10d1

TRIBE Member
4 years ago, me and my friends were going to make a virtual sex machine. It would represent the makings of a programmable sex toy that was much like a video game console with many games to explore sexuality and such. Microsoft stole our damn name, we were going to make millions, you know we would.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LoopeD
I cant believe the Shitcube is outselling it.

Though the PS/2 has some sweet titles out now.............

:)d
Maybe because the "ShitCube" has a better future ahead of it then XBox.

So what does XBox have coming out for it other then more fps, racing, or sports games that are any good that the other systems don't also have? (rhetorical question)

The Japanese don't buy into "Hype" and Europeans don't throw away their money on something that's twice as much and virtually identical to their competitors.

In May comes Resident Evil. In June comes Eternal Darkness. In September comes Mario. In October comes Metroid. In November comes Star Fox, and in December comes Zelda.

Then we'll see some REAL sales numbers. :D

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe shaping it like a big X has something to do with it.... maybe they should have made it domo-kun shaped.

Cameron

TRIBE Member
go sony!!

Gamecube better get its act together too before it's left in the dust by sony.

In May comes Resident Evil. In June comes Eternal Darkness. In September comes Mario. In October comes Metroid. In November comes Star Fox, and in December comes Zelda.
Hi Nintendo? yeah hi, what's happening? Good good, same old. Yeah. So hey, I was wondering if you could repackage N64 games and then sell them back to me? Yeah. Yeah that's right, ok great, thanks.

Nintendo will always have a place in the videogame market, but mario, metroid, star fox, and zelda as their flagship releases? ehhh, that's a little lame. Resident Evil is old too, in fact the whole horror genre had better see something different soon or else it's a sinking ship.

PS2 has Tekken 4, an new 3D GTA installment, Final Fantasy XI online, Timesplitters 2,and other games on the horizon.

Nothing against gamecube, it's just that PS2 has a better library right now, and that doesn't look like it's going to change in the future.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Dumbasses. X-Box is the mutha fuck'en shit.

Go Sony? Give more money to Sony to fuel their RIAA suit against all those .mp3 providers you love so much.

*c*

Variant

TRIBE Member
maybe its just me but i really don't care which particular titles come out.. any fighting, racing, adventure whatever game looks a million times better on xbox.

Blood wake totally has me right now.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I just find it ironic how people are like oooh don't buy Microsoft, when its okay to buy Sony. They're about as retarded as those japanese not buying X-boxes.

*c*

Cameron

TRIBE Member
if there's one thing I'd like to seperate as far as I can from moral issues and corperate irresponsibility, it's video games.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cameron
if there's one thing I'd like to seperate as far as I can from moral issues and corperate irresponsibility, it's video games.
You're a rarity. I respect that.

*c*

Cameron

TRIBE Member
Well, that's not to say that I don't care about such issues, in fact it is quite the opposite. However, if you analyze everything you do in your spare time or as a hobby, you'll go crazy.

defazman

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1

The Japanese don't buy into "Hype" and Europeans don't throw away their money on something that's twice as much and virtually identical to their competitors.

I think it's more the Japanese don't trust an American video game company with no history in the industry. The trend has always been to make games and systems in Japan, then port them to North America and Europe. Microsoft knew they would have a hard sell Japan where Nintendo and Sony have dug their way into peoples everyday lives. Also, one of the main selling points for the X-Box here was Halo, and Japan has never been a country for FPS. If Microsoft doesn't make their money in North America, they just ain't making any.

xtollo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1

The Japanese don't buy into "Hype"
:rolleyes: riiiiiiight. *thinks of thirty examples on the top of his head where the Japanese consumer has blown billions upon billions of dollars on trendy useless computer toys that get thrown away in a week*

silver1

TRIBE Member
go sony!!

Gamecube better get its act together too before it's left in the dust by sony.

Hi Nintendo? yeah hi, what's happening? Good good, same old. Yeah. So hey, I was wondering if you could repackage N64 games and then sell them back to me? Yeah. Yeah that's right, ok great, thanks.

Nintendo will always have a place in the videogame market, but mario, metroid, star fox, and zelda as their flagship releases? ehhh, that's a little lame. Resident Evil is old too, in fact the whole horror genre had better see something different soon or else it's a sinking ship.

PS2 has Tekken 4, an new 3D GTA installment, Final Fantasy XI online, Timesplitters 2,and other games on the horizon.

Nothing against gamecube, it's just that PS2 has a better library right now, and that doesn't look like it's going to change in the future.
Nintendo also has the Final Fantasy Series, Soul Caliber II (SC 1 being regarded as superior to the VF series), Timesplitters 2 etc. on their way as well.

And to call Mario, Zelda, Star Fox and Metroid "Lame", let me refer you to the top ranked games of all time (average scores of over 30 different independent magazine reviews).

Click Here

Title/Platform/# of magazine reviews/average score

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 36 8.8 99.2%
2. Half-Life PC 47 8.6 97.3%
3. Soul Calibur DC 68 9.1 96.9%
4. Super Mario 64 N64 22 8.8 96.3%
5. Goldeneye N64 33 9.0 96.3%
6. Grand Theft Auto 3 PS2 73 9.4 96.1%
7. Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2 69 8.9 96.0%
8. Perfect Dark N64 53 8.8 95.7%
9. Metal Gear Solid GBC 15 7.9 95.7%
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 PSX 53 8.6 95.6%

You may not like the "look" of a game like Mario or Zelda but millions upon millions of happy gamers can't be wrong. All of the sudden the games don't look so "lame".

But I digress. I'm in no way knocking the PS2. It's a great machine with great titles. But what Nintendo is doing is differentiating itself from everyone else. Something they will continue to do. Also, at the end of the year, I predict EGM's Game of the Year will have either a smiling plumber, a green childlike elf, or a woman in a metalic space suit in it.

The "Kiddy" argument is moot. Those who dismiss a superb game because there isn't blood and gore or an "adult" theme to it, I don't bother arguing with. Then again many closed minded individuals will dismiss Pee-wee's Big Adventure or Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton Classics) as "kiddy" films.

Meh.

Here are some "lame" pics for you to enjoy.

Soul Caliber II

Metroid Prime

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

And finally my favourite my little plumber.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Pure Silk

TRIBE Member
the only reason PS2 out sales Xbox is 2 things

1 - u can easily get your PS2 chiped up then buy GAME SHARK for it. After that u never have to pay for games ever again....just buy priated ones for $5

2 - 3 words................GRAND THIEFT AUTO...........

BUT Xbox is the better console!!!

Cameron

TRIBE Member
nerd alert

silver1:

I know you're all about nintendo, and that's cool, i'm sure it's a great system and those screens you posted are quite nice. But no one is disputing the power of the gamecube. All three next gen systems have crazy graphics capabilities, so now that quality of a game isn't a factor anymore. Regardless of what platform it comes out on, the graphics will be incredible.

Soul Caliber II (SC 1 being regarded as superior to the VF series)
probably is, I never really like VF, so whatever. But, the best fighting game will always be the Tekken series, hands down.

And to call Mario, Zelda, Star Fox and Metroid "Lame", let me refer you to the top ranked games of all time (average scores of over 30 different independent magazine reviews).
I think you're missing my point. What I like about video games today is the innovation more than anything else. Games like MGS2, and GTA 3 will go down in video gaming history just like supermario brothers, did in its time. That is where I feel the ps2 excells, and the gamecube does not.

All of the sudden the games don't look so "lame".
Again, you're missing my point. I agree that Nintendo has a great history, they've done alot for the industry and have really put out some amazing games, but talk about re-inventing the wheel! Simply releasing updated versions of older consepts is what I find 'lame' in the gamecube releases.

The "Kiddy" argument is moot. Those who dismiss a superb game because there isn't blood and gore or an "adult" theme to it, I don't bother arguing with.
As adult gameplayer, I do prefer adult themed games. It's as easy as that. I don't have very much fun playing a mario game, or a crash bandicoot game for that matter, and prefer complex storylines and greater depth offered in the game due to the nature of the audience. MGS2 is a perfect example, not suitable for children in the slightest, but why? Not because it is super gory or super sexy, because it would be far, far too complicated for anyone but an adult to understand, and the plot twists wouldn't keep a child gamer interested. Final Fantasy X as well, illustrates this point.

Ah well, this argument is lame. The new consoles provide a wide array of choices for gamers these days, and PS2 fits my choices just like the Gamecube fits yours.

Is FFXI coming out for gamegube silver1?
Whats the modem situation with that?

Last edited:

Cameron

TRIBE Member
Simply releasing updated versions of older consepts is what I find 'lame' in the gamecube releases.
I guess I contradict myself with this sentence, but what I meant to say was this: Nintendo has been repackaging old game with updated graphics for some time now. It happened on the N64 with mario (which was cool because it was mario in 3D) however the novelty has worn off imo. Gamecube does a great job of redoing older games, but the lack of original titles and concepts has been what turned me off of the Gamecube.

PS2 does redo older games (like MSG2...sort of), but the abundance of fresh, new titles (like Devil May Cry for the PS2) is essential to the available library.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Re: nerd alert

silver1:

I know you're all about nintendo, and that's cool, i'm sure it's a great system and those screens you posted are quite nice. But no one is disputing the power of the gamecube. All three next gen systems have crazy graphics capabilities, so now that quality of a game isn't a factor anymore. Regardless of what platform it comes out on, the graphics will be incredible.

probably is, I never really like VF, so whatever. But, the best fighting game will always be the Tekken series, hands down.

I think you're missing my point. What I like about video games today is the innovation more than anything else. Games like MGS2, and GTA 3 will go down in video gaming history just like supermario brothers, did in its time. That is where I feel the ps2 excells, and the gamecube does not.

Again, you're missing my point. I agree that Nintendo has a great history, they've done alot for the industry and have really put out some amazing games, but talk about re-inventing the wheel! Simply releasing updated versions of older consepts is what I find 'lame' in the gamecube releases.

As adult gameplayer, I do prefer adult themed games. It's as easy as that. I don't have very much fun playing a mario game, or a crash bandicoot game for that matter, and prefer complex storylines and greater depth offered in the game due to the nature of the audience. MGS2 is a perfect example, not suitable for children in the slightest, but why? Not because it is super gory or super sexy, because it would be far, far too complicated for anyone but an adult to understand, and the plot twists wouldn't keep a child gamer interested. Final Fantasy X as well, illustrates this point.

Ah well, this argument is lame. The new consoles provide a wide array of choices for gamers these days, and PS2 fits my choices just like the Gamecube fits yours.

Is FFXI coming out for gamegube silver1?
Whats the modem situation with that?
I agree with you in every way shape and form. But in the casae of "re-inveting the wheel". I think nintendo is doing a superb job. They are taking their franchises and taking them to the next level. The gameplay and style to the next mario is toatally being revoultionized. Metroid has gone into a first person adventure game (not a first person shooter because the emphasis is on the exploration), and zelda is going completely cell shaded to create a whole new style to the series. The StarFox series has evolved into a combo of 3rd person adventure/Action flight sim.

I think PS2 is great and GTA3 is quite revolutionary. The PS2 and GC contrast from one another in a good balance. They both have different styles of games and GC is making steps forward to not just update, but re-engineer thier classic. They're both appealing to differnet audiences. My point is that the XBox is trying to offer more of the same and overall they won't make a big impact.

As for FF, Nintendo and Square have worked out their differences and new original titles will be out for GCand GBA by the end of the year.

This is a two console world. PS2 targets to one audience and GC targets to another. But some of the best games in history and in the future will continue to come out on Nintendo. And in many cases people will enjoy both. I'm just tired of the fluff-ware that MS tries to bring out on the market and win people over with hype rather than substance. XBox still has only three strong games: Halo, DOA3 and Project Gotham (and I'll still argue that GT3-A Spec is superior).

I'm not dismissing what you have to say, I'm just saying that GC isn't a console to be dismissed simply because of their "apllies to all ages" philosophy.

P.S. I consider MGS2 (and ffX) as only 1/2 a game because you spend 1/2 the time watching a movie. That's just me though. :D

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders