• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wrong numbers

vench

TRIBE Promoter
I understand that all of us get calls on our cell phones and home lines that are the wrong number, but the amount that it happens on my phone is unreal.

For some reason, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, I get calls for people looking for Steak Queen. Without a doubt this happens at least once a weekend.

The phone rings..........

me: "hello?"
stranger: "what time you guys open 'till?"
me: "what?"
stranger: "is this Steak Queen?"
me: "what?"
stranger: "Steak Queen, this is Steak Queen right?"
me: "no"
stranger: "sorry"

The person will hang up and proceed to call back right away. It got to the point where I was taking people's orders and telling them to come and pick it up in 15 minutes. I told them they delivered, that they were open until 5am - it was annoying but funny at the same time. OH! I just remembered a message a woman left on my phone once when she called for Steak Queen and realized she got the wrong number, here is what she said:

"Hi Chris, I guess this isn't Steak Queen but I'm sure you've got a nice piece of steak between your legs so now since I have your number, I'll call you back."

true story - I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard this.

Do share your wrong number stories.

vench

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
Last year I had the old phone number of a shipping company (or something) - At least twice a day I would receive calls for Transborder Customs Services (or whatever it was called), starting at 9 am (I never got out of bed before noon).

The worst part about the whole experience was FAX MACHINES WITH AUTO-REDIAL. If I picked up the phone and cut them off, they'd call again. And again. And again. I had to keep the phone off the hook.

Non sequitur: The phone number for the front desk for the residences at the Windsor Arms ($1000/night!) is 416-YAH-WEED. Interesting.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

-Rudebwoy_Chin-

TRIBE Member
I honestly get those calls every other day. It's annoying as fuck.
I just hang up now. I know that's rude, and the people on the other end have prolly made a genuine error, but still, when i get miscalls in the early morn, fack. I think they crossed my lines or somethin. And it's not even people asking for the same person, it's different every time. :mad:

nusty

TRIBE Member
Don't tell my mother I work at Steak Queen, she thinks I work in a whore house in Montreal.

I've had people leaving dental appointments on my cell.... well only for the first 4 months I had my phone. (It's been 8 months now, with this #)

G

Person: Hello, may I speak to ________?
Me: excuse me who?
Person: you know _____?
Me: you mean you haven't heard? They're dead!!
*click* I hang up

or

Me: Hello?
Person: who is this?
Me: the person that owns this phone.
*click* I hang up

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
At my last job I got tons of wrong numbers. All numbers in the company were 945-xxxx, and apparently people couldn't dial my extension correctly because I'd always get calls for other employees. And long rambling messages on my voicemail for other people despite the fact that I say my full name on my greeting. And when I'd answer with, "hello, Jennifer speaking," I'd get, "is this Alice?" "Of course it is, Jennifer is my secret spy name."

The funniest was that my work number was one digit different from that of the Church of Scientology's on Yonge St. A friend told me this when he called them by accident instead of me. Then I got a couple of calls for them and the callers sounded all sheepish and I couldn't stop myself from laughing. It was an opportunity to fuck with some heads that I never took. Doh.

The scariest was some man that called my house after our number appeared on his call display. He just called up, I answered, and he said, "who's this?" I said, "no, who is THIS?" He wouldn't tell me, and said that someone from my house called, didn't leave a message and he wanted to know why. I explained that there are 3 other people in my house, and if he didn't tell me who he was, then I really couldn't help him, could I? He just hung up on me.

Sometimes I think call display and *69 are the devil.

~jen

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Some tool listed my pager number as a Tree and Hedge trimming service.
Haven't had a call in a while, I think it's taken care of. Though with summer coming I always wonder..

vench

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Loki God of Mischief
Me: Hello?
Person: who is this?
Me: the person that owns this phone.
*click* I hang up

this happens all the time to me as well.

them: "who's this?"
me: "no, who's this?"
them: "what number did I dial?"
me: "I don't know, look on your phone"
them: "who are you?"
me: "who are you?"
them: "why can't you tell me who this is?"
me: "why can't you tell me who you are?"
them: "Jim?"
me: "try again"

this would go on and on, it was almost like a fuckin' comedy routine that was trying painfully hard to be funny.

vench

joey

TRIBE Member
i was at a friend from works house the other night...

and i forgot what time i started at so i kept calling and calling and each time waking her up to ask the number..
and it kept going to some cancer treatment center..

turns out i was calling 0003 instead of 0333

oy

teknikal

TRIBE Member
this year, some pizza place's phone number was misprinted in the yellow pages, and the incorrect number happened to be the same as my mom's office number.

she get's calls all the time from people who want to order pizza, and it must be really annoying.

this wrong-number epidemic also happens to people who have numbers that are really close to the numbers of pizza places/etc.

my friend's phone number was 1 digit different than some pizza place's number and they got so many wrong-number calls that they had to change it!

man, i didn't think so many people couldn't punch numbers in correctly. :p

teknikal

sugar

TRIBE Member
My ex boyfriend used to get calls all the time from people asking for the Brewers Retail. The funny thing was, there number was nothing like the numbers listed for the Brewers Retail. Eventually the problem got so bad that his mom's outgoing answering message was "You have reached xxx-xxxx. This is not the Brewers Retail."

At my old apartment, we would get calls about five times a day from fax machines. We called Bell and they sent a fax to the place that was faxing us, but the problem never stopped. We also used to get calls from these little kids speaking Chinese--I think they were trying to reach their grandma.

BreakzBroad

TRIBE Member
probably from kids that are exactly like me when iwas abot 13 or 14 maybe even 16 haha!........just pressing randomn numbers and doing stupid stuff. so immature but it was fun! haha....thanx to pot for that! :D we've heard some funny ass rasta answering machines! too funny!

*jen*

swenard

TRIBE Member
For a year at my work we got call for camel cigarettes.

me: (company name) shawn speaking
stranger: (southern accent) Is this the camel hotline
me:no
stranger: is this 1-800-665-xxxx
me:yes
stranger:do you have the number camel .
me:no *click!*

6 MONTHS LATER AFTER 25 CALLS A DAY

me: (company name) shawn speaking
stranger: (southern accent) Is this the camel hotline
me:no
stranger: is this 1-800-665-xxxx
me:yes
stranger:do you have the number camel .
me:ya, its 1-800-665-xxxx

I got so sick and tired of people calling back over an over again. I just said fuck it and called camel to get the right number and started giving it to people when they called.

At least camel was nice enough to offer paying our long distance bill for the wrong calls and give us free camel cigarette stuff.

Cameron

TRIBE Member
I used to bug this guy who's name was 'Ray Death', so in the phone book it was 'Death Ray'.

Death Ray's Wife: Hello?
Me: Hi is Ray there?
DRW: Who is this?
Me: It's his old buddy from college, just say tag is on the phone
DRW: Just a moment.
*in the background: tag? who is tag?*
Death Ray: hello?
Me: hey death what's up it's me tag.
DR: I don't know a tag.
Me: Sure you do man, we used to play on the football team together.
DR: Who is this? I didn't even go to college!
Me: Sure you did brovah, you remember me, it's tag, laser tag.
DR: You fucking kids!

*click*

Last edited:

jynx

TRIBE Member
lol.gif