• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Writing help: good words to use?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Don't mind this thread but I am stuck.
I'm writing a snarky critical response to a gallery review assuming that it's going to be published.

My paragraph is:

***Russell ___1___ states “to be presented with the idea [of what a piece of art in a gallery is trying to express] you have to read the curator’s explanation.” Now, the last time I checked, there was something called freedom in this city and I don’t remember this freedom being ___2____ in a gallery situation. The choice to look away from the textual explanations displayed by the institution is still valid (and quite effortless) unlike passing by a bloody scene of an accident on the 401.***

For WORD 1, I'd like an adverb that tells the reader that he made that statement without any objectivity. That what he thinks is fact is just his generalization.

And for WORD 2, I am stuck on a word that means "to block." Specifically, in regards to one's free-will or freedom.

I was thinking "hindered?" Or "stopped?" Confused a little.

Last edited:

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
1. inexplorably ??

2. violated ?

i really want to look up number 1, but dictionary.com seems to be down for me.

labRat

TRIBE Member
tribelibs!!!!

1. retardedly
2. oppressed

-or-

1. , with a plunger stuck up his arse,
2. frenched

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
The thing is, this is not an academic writing class. I'm taking art criticism 401. :)

So "opines" might alienate some readers. Haha.
"Cheekily cheeked" and "peen" are good though.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
It's the one-two punch of "obtusely opines" that makes it work... and I just used 'cheekily checked' because I was on a 30-second alliterative rant.

For 2), go for something violent...

...and I don’t remember having freedom being castrated from us in a gallery situation, left bloody like a eunuch, torn asunder, what are we the U.S. of fucking A? No, we're not-- we're wimpy weasels, we...are...Canadian.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
I don't understand the context of the sentence... but whatever.

Ide right it liak dis.

Russell curtly states "to be presented with the idea [of what a piece of art in a gallery is trying to express] you have to read the curator's explanation." Now, the last time it came to attention, there was something called freedom in this city and I don't remember this freedom being withheld in a gallery situation. The choice to look away from the textual explanations displayed by the institution is quite effortless and still valid, unlike passing by a bloody scene of an accident on the 401.

Take out the first person, it looks bad. Don't refer to yourself is often the best thing to do when writing a critique.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders