1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

WOW! Toronto living is expensive!!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by swenard, May 7, 2002.

1. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I've been looking at apartments downtown and they're expensive!
    I looked at an apartment at yonge and eglinton, it was a small 2 bedroom for $1855/month!!!!

Are all areas like that?

2. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

nope, look in regent park!

3. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Cabbagetown is cheap too

4. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Depends where in Cabbagetown. Anything east of Parliment and north of Regent Park is very expensive. Actually a really beautiful area. I used to live on Pembroke about 5 years ago and it was $1000/month for a 1 bedroom. Mind you the place was beautiful, but still not cheap.

Check out Parkdale. Still some cheap finds if you look hard enough.

Good Luck.

5. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

wheres cabbagetown?

where's regent park?

shawn,--doesn't know his ass, from downtown

6. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

apts in the st clair/bathurst are are plentiful and reasonable

cabbagetown is wellesley/parliament to gerrard/parliament -> eastward

fuck regent park (south of cabbagetown) - you'll get shot

queen or king west of bathurst is a reasonable area too

7. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

greek village is also alright too....danforth between broadview and pape

you can also get some nice places in the beaches - queen st east of woodbine - a bit far, but great in the summer!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

bloor west up near high park

9. Guest

Guest Guest

or hell try uptown... sa younge and finch area. It's not too far from downtown ut it's a lot cheaper.

10. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

anyone know where the best place is to look for a apartment ie:web site,paper.

I'm trying to find an apartment somwhere nice and safe and resonably priced. the beaches sound nice so far.

11. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

12. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Are you looking for a permanent home or is this a summer place. If it's only for the summer, check out the sublets in Now Magazine. Now is also a good source for shared accomadations.

Anything downtown is not going to be cheap, especially in the summer.

13. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

It would be for good.

I just found this apartment. It sounds nice!

Is that a good area?

14. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

To be honest, it's not the best area. Close to the park near Jarvis. Also close to Seaton House, which is actually on George St. so you get a lot of homeless, crack head crazy people hangin' out.

Check out this weeks Now mag. for places to rent. Try Queen W area. But you gotta be quick cuz the good places go fast.

15. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

you gots to call like 9am on thursday morning - thats when the fresh mag comes out (or just check online)

16. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

oh poo.

it's fine, i've lived here for 3 years and have never had a problem. if you don't bug people they won't bug you. i love this neighbourhood.

if you're a princess, then don't move here. if you're a regular person who can handle the ever so shocking sight of hookers and dealers and homeless guys you'll be fine.

17. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

I lived on Pembroke so I know the area very well. All I said was that it's not the best area. If you're lookin' for trouble you can find it just about anywhere, but if you mind your own business, chances are you'll be fine.

18. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

yonge and eglinton is a great area, but it's also one of the most expensive places for rent.

it's not all bad. but you have to be prepared to pay $600 - $800 for a one bedroom or half a two bedroom. in any relatively safe or nice area. there are, of course, exceptions. i lived in a basement apartment that was a little less than $500/month for over a year. it was nice enough, but small and a little dark. that was in greek town just near greenwood station.

19. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Pembroke? you're kidding right? which crackhouse did you live across from, every second house on that street is a crackhouse....

LOL.
    Kyfe

20. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

i am looking too.

and its hard.

i found a bunch of basement apartments for 700 but nothing on the main floor for 800. i dont want a basement and i dont want roommies.

does anyone know: will the new hydro deregulation mean higher rent?

jake

21. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

i'm leaving my bach in a house soon, and there is one other one as well....both on the main floor.....$740 ish...one's available right now as a matter of fact.

queen/augusta

22. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

a friend of mine and her mom own an apartment and their current tenants are moving out....

its available July 1
    spacious 2 bedroom
    Eglinton and Bathurst
    $1450/month, incl utilities and a parking spot
    laundry in the builiding
    balconey

friends of mine used to live there....its a great place!!

pm me if you're interested and i'll give ya the contact info.

:)sarah

23. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

First of all, you're assuming that electricity prices will increase, which may or may not happen.

Second, a landlord or building manager will most likely lock into a fixed price contract. If your rental income is fixed over a one or two year lease, you probably do not want large variations in your electricity costs over that same period. Larger apartment and condo buldings can usually negotiate a fairly good price because of their bulk buying power.

24. JMan

JMan TRIBE Member

Just scored a 1050 sq/ft 2 bedroom 2 bathroom w/ balcony at St. Claire & Avenue for $1400. All the buildings in that area are a good price and many are really nice.

J

25. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

and the downside is?;)