1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

WoW geek-thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kaniz, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

I recall seeing a thread or two in general about WoW. Figured I'd start a new one here

picked up the game a month or two ago, only play a few hours a week and got me a lvl 25 Tauren Shaman on Silverhand.

like the game so far, an old EQ-power-gaming-uber-guild-geek (hate that game now though).

anyone else playing?

2. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

God I can't believe that I love this game so much. Now that I have reached a decent level- the pvp is fun and rewarding! Level 31 rogue on Gorefiend.

I was in Desolace last night night trying to get this clan of Centaurs to hate me when 2 lvl 36 allies (both pallies) attempted to gank me some good. I saped one- took out the other quickly- then played cat and mouse for a bit when I managed to get the pally down to near death when he did that damn protection shield thing then zing- but up to full health! The fight was crazy- he healed himself to full 3 times- yet I still managed to beat him. As soon as I was done- the other pally rezed and got me good. Allies out number the Horde HUGELY on the gorefiend server. but that makes it fun :)

3. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

if I jump over to gorefiend, wanna twink me up a bit? *laugh*

Initially, I liked being on Silverhand as it wasnt free-for-all-PvP, but now I'm finding that its getting a bit stale, and wouldnt mind getting in on some more active PvP servers.

4. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

36 Shaman on Eldre-Thales, unfortunately no PVP for me as of yet, might need a desktop for something like that (and some more RAM),

Questing and group play is fine for now though, they still keep it interesting.

5. FLIRT Crew

FLIRT Crew TRIBE Member

i rolled 74 on a Devout Robe drop yesterday, and got beat with a 98! ugh! i need a roll hack. :(

6. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

wish I could get more group play in, run along solo far too often. Never seems to be anyone forming groups or looking for members for groups.

Think I've been in a full group all of 3 or 4 times, and a few duo or 3 man groups to run a quick quest.

even just 1 partner to duo with can make things so much more interesting

7. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

depending on how you build your talent pool, shammys can run solo for quite some time.

Two things you should learn rather quickly that I didn't figure out til recently.

1. All your totems are insta-cast, meaning you can cast while running. Shammy's aggro horribly and we have no snare, but what we do have is the Earthbind totem, which reduces enemy moverment by 20%. If you aggro a mob, start running and cast Earthbind (note: this does not work on ele's).

2. Work the talent pool for your shock spells, they are your best weapons, learn 1h axes early on as around 30 good maces are scarce, and read the WoW forums on talent pools, I highly suggest going ele/enh, specially if you're like me and like to try hard shit solo.

I've walked through some pretty tough places with just me and a warrior. Shammys are a great hybrid class.

8. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Yeah, I love my shaman, one of the most entertaining characters I've played in a MMORPG. Although, I really did enjoy my skald in DAoC, in some ways the shaman and skald are kinda similar I suppose.

I can solo, and have soloed some tricky things :) just gets a bit dull being solo 95% of the time.

When I played EQ and DAoC, I pretty much had a 'perma-group', that I'd logon and play with every day at the same time. I've since stopped being such a loser and gotten a real life :p so I lack a steady group of people to play with in WoW at the moment.

Earthbind is a great escape tool, and warstomp + lesser healing wave = the big win when a fight is getting close and you /really/ need to get a heal off.

Stomp, stun, heal, score!, that has saved my ass so many times I'm supprised people arnt bitching that its 'overpowered' :p

cant wait untill I get my self-rez spell. Been using maces so far, but guess I'll start training up axes soon.

although, I'm a bit stumped as what to do about equip at the moment, havnt had any real upgrades in 3 or 4 levels now, and none of the quests seem to be giving me useful rewards. I get mail and cloth tossed at me like its going out of style, but god forbid I find a usefull leather-quest reward.

Guess I can just farm gold for a bit and play the auction-house, but thats boring.

9. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

I usually make it a point of inviting people I see doing similiar quests into groups. Ive been running into alot of players now that are doing the same quests Ive been doing- so we usually have 2 groups going at any given time. Works out well because we can power our way through quests fairly quickly. Gorefiend Horde players are pretty co-operative. It usually only take 1 or 2 spams of the LFG channel to get someone to help you. If your having alliance problems- then you will have a ton of people joining you nice and quickly!
    Shammeys are good for soloing quests. Totems are very cool. I started up an alt shammy or Gorefiend- but havent gotten him beyond lvl 10.
    Jump ship for Gorefiend Kaniz! Ill twink you up good! We could always use a shammy in our raiding/party groups. Rogues have such low hit points. lvl 31 and Im at 991.

has anyone modded their client with a legal mod? Im running CT Tools on my machine. Its great. It adds 3 more bar slots and allows you to move them around your screen so you can put them where you want. It also provides co-ordinates on your map so you can find mobs and allies quicker.

10. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

p.s. I hope you all have horde characters :p

11. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

hrmmm..may need to jump ship to gorefiend then :)

Just not sure if I can handle doing the barrens again. While it was interesting for the first 3 or 4 levels there, by time you run to ratchet for the zillionth time.. ugh!

but, suppose I can just move out to the undead lands and quest there instead for a change of scenery instead of going to the barrens.

I'll toss up a char there sometime soon :) I expect my mailbox to be full of goodies when I do though. *laugh*

12. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Doo eet!
    I like the undead starting zones. Its a rough place. You've got those elite son of Arugals wandering around and thats scary! The Barrens are pretty boring. God I hate 1kn.

13. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Lvl 35 Tauren Druid on Draenor

Ran the Library side of the Scarlet Monastary yestrday twice with a lvl 60 Warrior trying to get the Illusionary Rod to drop but both times I got the Hypnotic Blade!

Fack!

14. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

The barrens really needs an extra flight path or two within the zone, even from the x-roads to camp t'whateverthehellitis would be a nice boost.

at level 25, I still have yellow quests there, and I moved to that zone at level 14 or so (after doing almost every quest in mulgore), I could of probably moved over there sooner.

although, I could of left the barrens sooner to move to stone talon, but it didnt really occur to me to move at the time, I thought "oh, I still have yellow+ quests to do, I should stick here and finish them all"

thankfully I've changed that mindset :)

if I move, I think I'd be tempted to roll up a hunter though, the last two duo's I was in was with hunters, and they seemed to kick a mean ass and then some.

15. CiG

CiG TRIBE Member

Come to gorefiend, I'll make you some low level leather stuff... Well like level 10...

User: stnd

I'm on all the time now... And see my self playing a lot during this first month...

I need more RAM too... my laptop burns when I play...

16. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

oh man thats this is the worst.

I just realized last night that my skinning skill was sitting at ZERO and my leatherworking skill hovering somewhere just above that. So i did the grind all night and Im up to 100 in each. Gotta push that shit to at least 200 or so catch up with the mobs im fighting.

Anyone here every play a rogue and do the posions quest? Its great. You get posioned and have 7 days (10k minutes) to get rid of it or your character dies perm!!! Its hella easy to get rid of tho. I fucking love my posions. Ive got posions that disrupt casting- and then cause casting time to take %40 longer- and ive got posions that make you run so slow that you will never get away from me.

17. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

ugh, I havnt done /any/ tradeskills yet on my current char, and dreading going back and doing the grind for it.

if I do take the dive to gorefiend, I'll be sure to keep them up from level 1

18. FLIRT Crew

FLIRT Crew TRIBE Member

thats one of the best caster daggers in the game, even though it's so low lvl. next best is probably the dagger of elven magi (which isn't an easy drop).

19. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yeah, I kept one and vendor'd the other....it'll work really good until I can get that fucking staff to drop!

*sigh*

20. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Bleeding Hollow is the server where you should all be :)

Im finally back on my priest, hes only 30, but lok has 2 60's and his brother has a 60 as well at our disposal, so we've got a strongarm to let loose if ever needed.

21. CiG

CiG TRIBE Member

I'm looking to start another character, so I might move realms...

Horde or Alliance... And someone suggest a character... I want something different then an orc, but not sure what characters are great... I'm sure they all have their own great qualities, but some must be better then the others...

22. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

I finally got my MC attunement this weekend, so I'm gonna be hitting up some big raids next Saturday. Was also involved in an Azuregos raid last week that went very well. We wiped once because about 1/4 of the group fell through the map when they got teleported by the dragon's aggro wiping move. But once we all rezzed we killed it with no problems. Typhoon dropped :eek: but I lost the roll. :p

Was gonna kill Kazzak, but then someone mentioned that he'd already been taken down the night before. Stupid 5-day spawn rate!

23. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

hybrids are always fun, and priests are more than necessary. I never see enough Druids either.

GO HORDE!

24. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

It really depends on what kind of play style you have. Currently, the most uber classes are Shaman, Rogue, Warrior, Mage, Priest.

Hunters and Pallies are great from lvls 1 to 40, but the end game is pretty rough. Pallies, because their damage basically goes to crap as they reach the higher levels so playing solo is excruciatingly slow. Hunters, because it's harder to find a group when you reach the endgame instances compared to other classes. And their talent trees are basically broken.

Warlocks were pretty gimp, but they've gotten some good fixes in the last patch, so they should be a good choice.

25. CiG

CiG TRIBE Member

I think I'll just keep working on my warlock then, and hope that they allow switching of realms some time soon...

*waves* Hi Stan...