• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Would you open up a storefront in Regent Park?

stryker

TRIBE Member
Specifically around the Dundas and Parliament area. Like a boutique coffee shop or something akin to that.

A friend is thinking of doing this. I don't know much about the area other than it still looks bad but appears to be on the up.

He's trying to figure out if paying way more in rent for Danforth, WQW, Parkdale etc.. would be worth it.

If you have any knowledge of the area your input would be super valuable.

Thanks!
stew

Stop Bill C-10

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Risk versus reward. Hopefully your friend has done a market survey of the area.. yes lots of new condo's but the area still has problems.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Just look at what they sell in FRESHCO at Dundas & Parliament and for how much to get an idea what people buy in the area....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
My friend has a small business in the area. Opened just before PanAm. Rough go, to start but now he's making out like a phat rat.

acheron

TRIBE Member
One of TRIBE's favourite photographers (thom100) opened a photo print shop just east of that intersection years ago. I went to visit him once to pick up a print. Had my (then) six year-old son with me. We were treated to the sight of a fellow honking on a crack pipe in the doorway adjacent as we left the store - walked through the cloud on the way to the car. Truly a neighbourhood that is actively resisting gentrification. I mean, we live in Parkdale and we don't see that. I've seen plenty of people ON crack but never actually smoking it out in the open, brazenly.

Oh and after thom100 moved to Vancouver, his business partner moved the shop to College St west.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Don't open anything at Queen & Sherbourne and you're good. I think that intersection is way worse than anything around Dundas & Parliament, which is really just full of families.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I'd add Shuter and Parliament to the list of intersections to avoid. Dundas and Parliament does seem better in comparison.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Don't open anything at Queen & Sherbourne and you're good. I think that intersection is way worse than anything around Dundas & Parliament, which is really just full of families.

I'm wary of waiting for a streetcar on that corner.

stryker

TRIBE Member
so Parliament was a bust.

Any thoughts on Danforth Village? The Danforth and Woodbine areas seems to be up and coming. The West End has got the vibe and the people but the rent is priced accordingly and it's a pain in the ass to get to from the East end of the city.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
so Parliament was a bust.

Any thoughts on Danforth Village? The Danforth and Woodbine areas seems to be up and coming. The West End has got the vibe and the people but the rent is priced accordingly and it's a pain in the ass to get to from the East end of the city.

What kind of place are you wanting to open?