• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Would you buy property around here?

dyad

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cabbagetowngirl
I'd most certainly live downtown over somewhere in Scarberia.. Malvern in general, or even in Rexdale... NOW THOSE ARE GHETTO NEIGHBORHOODS, NOT THIS ONE!!! So in reality, unless you live here, please don't comment on how bad it is.
so i can assume then that you have lived in Malvern and Rexdale, since you are commenting? ;)

the reality is that people have to decide their own comfort levels based on what their priorities are, and if you are afraid because of your preconcieved notions, you arent going to like it regardless of how safe/unsafe it is in actuality.

Bad reputations are almost always inflated, but basic precautions like bars on windows and extra locks even the odds of breakins to much nicer areas. If hearing conversations/deals in your back alley is going to put you on edge and make you paranoid, its not the area for you.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
there is a no frills at parliament and carlton, and a dominion at yonge and carlton.
that no frills is shit.. they run out of things that are on sale almost instantaneously, and the parking sucks.

mayab

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
oh yeah - that one is open 24 hours a day too.
Wow, that would make me so happy! I think that they are also putting a loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens, which is nearby if my memory serves me correctly.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
interesting observation here:

the hubby and I just moved from Dundas and Church (borderling regent park) to King and Shaw (borderline parkdale). when we did our content insurance premium went down by about 25% annually even though we increased the claim value amount by 10K! The explanation for the reduction on the invoice was "location adjustment" so we're guessing our insurance company has stats that tell them that our chance of a robbery are at least 25% less at the new location.

that being said, I felt very safe living at Dundas and Church and I'd walk though the south part of Regent park (along Shutter) to work every day without hassle. You just get to know your local hookers/druggies and they tend to stay clear of you. but along Dundas and Gerrard between jarvis/parliment I did get a bit spooked at night but it wasn't too bad. and there are some stunning houses on those side streets many of which look very well loved and cared for.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
that no frills is shit.. they run out of things that are on sale almost instantaneously, and the parking sucks.
I've never had a problem. The parking lot is pretty big compared to some of the markets downtown that don't have parking.

Does the Merchandise Dominion have parking? I circled around looking for it but I gave up and went to the Queens Quay Loblaw's instead. That area is the most difficult to park in. So frustrating.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Does the Merchandise Dominion have parking? I circled around looking for it but I gave up and went to the Queens Quay Loblaw's instead. That area is the most difficult to park in. So frustrating.
there is parking but you have to go into the underground lot off Mutual that the residents use. you park in the guest spots and I think you get your parking validated in the Dominion. Parking there is available but it's not advertised or very clear. Heck we lived by there for three years and I only learned about the parking a month before we moved

Chase

TRIBE Promoter
well, on the map the little red mark looked like it was on sherbourne just north of dundas

i would not buy property at that specific location.

but i would buy property in that general area

i rent a few blocks away on berkely between shuter and dundas, and i like it there.

however, just a few blocks away you have sherbourne and dundas, one of the most cracked out corners downtown.

having lived between jarvis & carlaw and dundas & queen for 7 years, i've found that you get a good street right next to a bad street, and some streets are nice in the middle of the block but cracked out on the corners. just find a nice street in a good spot and you'll be ok.

as far as property near dundas and sherbourne goes ... i'd say you'd be better off coming a bit further east.

don't forget regent park is getting torn down, so my completely uneducated guess is that it's going to get nicer closer to regent park before it gets nicer closer to dundas and sherbourne.

Chase

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
i gave up on that dump more than a year ago after realizing that i always left there in a bad mood. that plus the three parking spots out front are always occupied by people who don't bother to pay. now i drive to Price Chopper at Lakeshore and Leslie, it's so much better and the prices are the same or lower.

Babes

TRIBE Member
I would go for it.

I was looking at a cute historic house on Ontario Street. If it weren't for the crazy ass bidding war (went almost $75k over asking price), I'd be living there now. Yes, the neighbourhood is a bit sketchy, but its only going to get better. Considering the amount of renos and houses being flipped in the area, I think its a great place to invest in.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
I'd have to agree with MoFo here, most of toronto is like that, nice areas right next to ultra shady areas.

For sure when Regent Park gets torn down, things will get better, and better still when they eventually and inevitably get rid of the homeless shelters in that area (there are like at least 3 by my count). Most of the sketchpads/crazies you see about are harmless.

regardless of what happens with regent park(which will still have tonnes of subsizized housing)... that whole area of sherbourne has got ENOUGH GHETTO apartment buildings... buildings that aren't going anywhere for a long time... they aren't managed by the Toronto Housing Corp.. just regular ass slum lords :p

homeless shelters won't be moving out of the core either... not much of a need for them elsewhere considering most of the homeless stay downtown

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Used to stop in there for a beer or 3 on my way home from work. With a quick take out order from George’s Chicken.

I lived around the corner on Pembroke street so was always a good place to grab a cheap beer with lots of characters and interesting conversation.