• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Worst DJ Mixer you have owned.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
This is from another thread : What is the worst DJ mixer you have owned?

Not played on in someones basement or frat house. Something you bought with your own (or your moms) cash and had to endure and live with for a while.

Actually I can't really start as my first mxer was a Vestax PMC270a which I still own as backup and went with me everywhere abused at many a lazydaze and still sounded/worked great. Current mixer is good too.

Come on though let's hear about those Gemini's and American Audio gems!

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member

this one. when i first bought it, the x-fader was starting to sound like crap. then it because very problematic with 100% bleed through due to some malfunctioning (likely in the store before i bought it). when i got a new x-fader, i was sold the wrong size, and the x-fader had to be screwed in and raised almost an inch from the face of the mixer. plus the quarter-inch inputs would never stay secure, always loosening with every kind of washer/nut/bolt imaginable. even if it had worked well, its best would have still sucked ass. what a piece of shit. that mixer was. i gladly threw it out finally after all these years after buying ghaleon's mixer (which works great i might add).

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
I've only owned one, the Xone 32... and its been fine... just would like a split-EQ and a post-EQ!!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
and witch the Aux and Gain knobs. That seriously has to be in the top 5 layout mistakes of all time for a mixer.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
and witch the Aux and Gain knobs. That seriously has to be in the top 5 layout mistakes of all time for a mixer.
Mine's in a booth with a custom thingey for the mixer that tilts it up about 30 degrees or so - this makes accessing the gains pretty easy.

2nd nature now..;) But yes, number of times i've used the aux knobs?? ZERO!!!

AshG

First mixer, circa mid-1980s. Thought it was the bomb at the time.
same sort of thing for me, though early 90s, and it was made my radioshack.
i think i still have the thing gathering dust in an attic either at my bro's place. if its still there, i'm gonna grab it and bust it out!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AshG

they used to make shit under the name.... "galaxy" or "galaxia" or something like that.
i know that that was the name of the mixer 'brand' i had at the time.

i clearly recall mixing Billy Jean with something else, but having to adjust the speed with my finger pressed on the record label itself as my one turntable didn't have pitch control. produced a nice warbling effect on the tune that was one of my signature 'moves'.
that and attempting to use a xfader that didn't really crossfade.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
For what it did, the Realistic mixer was a bit of a workhorse actually. Explains its popularity.

None of my mixers were really "the worst" - they all served their purpose at the time. Now, showing up to supposedly (yeah, top sound mate!) organised raves in the 90s, only to find one of these in the booth:

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I had a Realistic mixer with a digital sampler on it. No doubt a breakthrough in modern technology in '94 but it sounded like crap and the looping wasn't seamless.

My current Numark was a step up but still not a great mixer. I've never really owned one I was 100% happy with. But for the amount of at home mixing I do these days it's not really worth dropping 2k on a nice Pioneer.

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
behringer DJX 700 looked like a Pio 600 did not perform like one but wasn't the most horrible thing I've played on...

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
My lady and I went halfsies on some DJ equipment. All we wanted were some CDJ 200s....so we got a deal on a cheap mixer. We got a BEHRINGER VMX200 Worst sounding mixer ever.

I sold it and bought a Xone 32.....it was like I bought new speakers.

BEHRINGER VMX200

Stickybuds~

TRIBE Member
My lady and I went halfsies on some DJ equipment. All we wanted were some CDJ 200s....so we got a deal on a cheap mixer. We got a BEHRINGER VMX200 Worst sounding mixer ever.

I sold it and bought a Xone 32.....it was like I bought new speakers.

BEHRINGER VMX200
This was my first dj mixer as well... I still have mine, but its on my desk and I just use the bpm tapper when im listening to new tracks on my desktop computer... I have a rane TTM 57 Sl now.... i lurve it.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
DDM4000 is awesome! Also their monitors are excellent.

Al the other mixers though blow huge.
totally. i thought about buying a cheap behringer analog multitrack mixer for recording, etc but was talked out of behringer BY THE SALES STAFF!! LOL!

never heard their monitors/