• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Worldwide Alert for Stolen AGO Art

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Click here for Full Story.

It's not only a whodunit - it's a how'd-they-do-it? A worldwide alert is on for five 18th century paperback-sized sculptures stolen over the weekend from the Art Gallery of Ontario.

The ivory masterpieces were behind a locked glass case in the museum, and the alarm was active. But it didn't go off on Saturday, when someone got into the display and walked off with the items worth an estimated $1.5 million.

“The A.G.O. security systems were fully operational, in place at the time. We don't disclose more than that,” is all director Arlene Madell will reveal. “We're extremely concerned … and we're co-operating fully with the police.”

The art was on loan from Ken Thompson, Canada's richest man and an ardent collector. It was his plan to share his 2,000-strong works with the A.G.O. that led the famous Toronto institution to prepare for a multi-million dollar renovation.

The gallery was closed as the investigation began, but police still aren't sure whether they're dealing with an planned heist or a random act of opportunity.

The artwork, by noted French sculptor David Le Marchand, will be hard to sell on the open market because it's so well known. But private collectors aren't always reticent about buying notorious works for their own personal galleries, and it's feared the stolen masterpieces could disappear behind closed doors and out of sight for good.

The five sculptures were made in the early 1700's and include portraits of prominent figures of the time, including Sir Christopher Wren, Sir Humphrey Morice - a banker - and Charles Mordant. A piece depicting Sir Isaac Newton is valued at $350,000, while the work titled "Portrait of A Woman and Her Daughter with a Whippet," believed to be that of a member of the royal family, is estimated to be worth $500,000.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
It wasn't an inside job.

Please see Buy/Sell/Rent forum.

Serious inquiries only please, descrition is assured.

le kid

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I, for one, am glad LEO resources the world over are being used to track this billionaire's stuff, instead of trying the stop the trafficking of 14 year old prostitutes or weapons smuggling.

Thomson's so strapped he couldn't afford insurance.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
I, for one, am glad LEO resources the world over are being used to track this billionaire's stuff, instead of trying the stop the trafficking of 14 year old prostitutes or weapons smuggling.

Thomson's so strapped he couldn't afford insurance.
I think they are trying to recover some irreplacable works of art here.

Not protect the fortune of a millionaire.

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Apparently they were insured. The article I read yesterday mentioned that fact about 6 times throughout....

Funzo

TRIBE Member
It was an insurance scam, just because he is rich doesn't mean he doesn't want to be richer! He took them home early in the evening when it was just him and the cleaning lady in the museum, she has alsymerz so she forgot about the meeting they had. Security is just a bunch of low rent cops, whom are bitter because they faild the apptitude tests for the RCMP (read: they are incompetant bastards). Then he reported them stolen, he get's to keep the art, and score some extra loot, case closed!

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon
Click here for Full Story.
"Portrait of A Woman and Her Daughter with a Whippet," believed to be that of a member of the royal family, is estimated to be worth $500,000.
I didn't know the did Nitrous back in the 1700's, they probably made the crackers out of wood and only lasted 2 or three cracks.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
so, canada's richest man has been robbed by canada's craftiest cat burgler.

i predict the cat burglar will be caught by the very people that are trying to catch him. (how ironic.)

Originally posted by Libradragon
The five sculptures were made in the early 1700's and include portraits of prominent figures of the time, including Sir Christopher Wren, Sir Humphrey Morice - a banker - and Charles Mordant. A piece depicting Sir Isaac Newton is valued at $350,000, while the work titled "Portrait of A Woman and Her Daughter with a Whippet," believed to be that of a member of the royal family, is estimated to be worth $500,000.
why would anyone want a sculpture of a banker?

and what the hell is a whippet? (i know what the drug version is, but i'm guessing that's not what the picture is about.)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
NASA did it to fund an important mission to space.
lol

they were low on fuel costs from ground to the stratosphere. (how much does the fuel cost to break earth's galaxy?)

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Worldwide Alert for Stolen AGO Art

Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
so, canada's richest man has been robbed by canada's craftiest cat burgler.

i predict the cat burglar will be caught by the very people that are trying to catch him. (how ironic.)
hehehe

jebac

TRIBE Member
ahh who cares. they should write about the thousands of young girls used in the prostitution trade...

-jebac

dstarr

TRIBE Member
details of the heist are being kept pretty quiet which makes me believe that somebody left them unattended or something in a place where they shouldn't have been and somebody that was just standing there and grabbed them.

afterall, I'm sure I'm not the only one miffed they lost the super 7 on friday.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories