• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

World War Z

stryker

TRIBE Member
Saw this with the gf yesterday.....a welcomed excuse to get out of the smoldering apartment.

It was better than I expected. The initial trailers a few months back had some bad CG and it didn't seem like the movie would have much depth. Thankfully they fixed the CG and the movie had some depth to it.

I have to give credit where credit is due....it was intense. There really wasn't much time to get settled.

The overall premise....infection takes over the world and spreads quickly. Pitt play Gerry a UN special envoy or something who's resume includes time in all the major civil wars over the past ten years.

I have to say that I enjoyed it. The "Zombies" are 28 Days Later type of zombies. I thought this was well executed. The movie was well done.

I actually thought this was one of Pitt's better performances. Most of the time his roles come off as Tyler Durden playing "...". I don't know hwo to explain it. His range although limited was done well.

Full point for new locales that haven't been done before..

If you like zombies and gripping your seat then I'd recommend this. But if you're a purist and can handle your zombies moving faster than a crawl..you'll be disappointed.

My two issues with the movie

1. The dialogue from the trailers to the movie changes. The don't go anywhere near Russia. The whole "Russia is a Black Hole" line was actually referring to India. Also, the line "don't pretend your family is exempt when we talk about the end of the world." didn't happen

2...I can't remember how to use the spoiler feature ....will post later

Alex please fix the Title...thx

stew

Last edited:

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
They should have kept to how the book was structured. I have yet to see it, but Ive heard its nothing like it. Still, its on my radar to see.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
SPOILER ALERT (although if you visit a movie thread after the movie's been released, then you are asking to have surprises spoiled).

i really enjoyed this. the fall of jerusalem and the airplane scene were outstanding, and i liked how they portrayed brad pitt figuring out how to defeat the virus.

this movie could teach MAN OF STEEL a thing or two about how to make the audience care about characters without sacrificing time reserved for action sequences.

lobo

TRIBE Member
They should have kept to how the book was structured. I have yet to see it, but Ive heard its nothing like it. Still, its on my radar to see.
While I agree, there's no way to do the book as a movie. I've always thought that the book should have gotten a mini series treatment a la Band of Brothers so that you could focus on the different stories and viewpoints which is what really makes the book stand out.

Lobo

kuba

TRIBE Member
As I said in the other thread (and did not want to start a new one on a sour note) did we really need that bullshit about how Israel is welcoming everyone into their land? Give me a fucking break, Hollywood.

That said, I was impressed at the pace of the film through and through, the dialogue could have used less cheese, the action a little more blood & guts but someone said that that's implied so let's go with that. Overall a good zombie action mystery thriller movie.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
SPOILER ALERT (although if you visit a movie thread after the movie's been released, then you are asking to have surprises spoiled).

i really enjoyed this. the fall of jerusalem and the airplane scene were outstanding, and i liked how they portrayed brad pitt figuring out how to defeat the virus.

this movie could teach MAN OF STEEL a thing or two about how to make the audience care about characters without sacrificing time reserved for action sequences.
really? i really must grieve for Man of Steel then because I didn't really feel anything for the characters in this film.

I have to say, film was tense throughout, that was done well, but overall i thought it was sort of lame. This might be because 28d later was just so good, but i really thought everything was a bit beyond silly.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
As I said in the other thread (and did not want to start a new one on a sour note) did we really need that bullshit about how Israel is welcoming everyone into their land? Give me a fucking break, Hollywood.

ahaha yes that was so cringe. Probably was in the book or something. Doesn't make it better.

You can't make a really good, really effective zombie movie and keep it PG 13.

Mark Forster is a terrible director that has no business making action scenes - Quantum of Solace was ample proof of that. And this was a movie that deserves a much better director with a lot more experience on how to make a large, epic scale disaster/disease outbreak film - not the Brad Pitt arrives in new world location, talks to some people who give a bit of information, has to run away from zombies, Brad Pitt heads off to new location pattern that really got tired quick.

The only thing that made this similar to the book was the feeling of randomness with the switch in locales in the world - except the book made the connections from the previous chapter pre-Great Panic.

Thought the North Korean solution was pretty clever and silly at the same time. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was way better than this and it decided on going the full on action film route.