• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

World support for U.S. at new low, survey suggests

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by beatnik
ATP: You’re missing my point man… read my second post –I don’t discount conspiracy websites more than I do the NYT…they all contribute to my opinion.
Sorry, I should have been more clear…
:)
Fair enough! ;)

The majority of this argument stems from people interpreting facts differently, based on motive: America attacks country X. America claims it attacked because of reasons A and B, but A and B are almost always incongruous with the benefits that we see America receiving due to such an attack.

It is, for example, difficult to deny that the U.S. involvement in Nicaragua is anything other than a crime against humanity. Much like the U.S. bombing of the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical plant in Sudan. There are numerous historical examples that clearly identify the U.S. priorities in terms of foreign policy. These are the facts and the truth and the interpretation of which you are obviously free to decide upon.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
and should have gone about it differently.
You've got no arguments from me on that one. They should have, but they didn't. But like I said, it doesn't change my support.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
You've got no arguments from me on that one. They should have, but they didn't. But like I said, it doesn't change my support.
By those standards, do you support the US government being overthrown then?

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Yep. The mass unmarked graves that are being discovered that hold 10,000 bodies each kind of put me at ease.
Actually... most of those graves are turning out to be from victims of the suppressed Shiite and Kurdish uprisings. You know, the ones at the end of Gulf War I where the U.S. told them to start an uprising, and then allowed them all to be slaughtered by Saddam?

Yeah... those ones. Bet that was the last time they listened to the advice the the Americans.

Sporty Dan

TRIBE Member
yeah, the most important job of the president is to win a worldwide popularity contest. Dubya should look to his predicesor for help on what the 'popular' foreign policy solutions are.

For example:
He should abandon his 'unpopular' hardline stance toward North Korea and simply do what;s 'popular', like Bill did -- give them nuclear technology in exchange for their 'promise' not to build bombs.

He should also abandon his 'unpopular' stance in insisting that the Palistinean government stop supporting terrorism. The 'popular' decision would obviously have been to invite Yasser Arafat to the white house again and give him even MORE legitimacy.

Also he should abandon his 'unpopular' position that Iraq was a state sponsor of terrorism and was developing WMDs and adopt Bill's 'popular' position: that Iraq was a state sponsor of terrorisn and was devoloping WMDs.

"We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st century they will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein's Iraq."
- Bill Clinton.

dan.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Hey Dan,

If the US wants to stop terrorism, they should stop participating in it. Period. And the Bush's have a solid history of supporting it.

"In much of the world the U.S. is regarded as a leading terrorist state, and with good reason. We might bear in mind, for example, that in 1986 the U.S. was condemned by the World Court for "unlawful use of force" (international terrorism) and then vetoed a Security Council resolution calling on all states (meaning the U.S.) to adhere to international law."

-Noam Chomsky

The USA. Still the only country in the world condemned by the world court for acts of terrorism.

Sporty Dan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
The USA. Still the only country in the world condemned by the world court for acts of terrorism.

....and THAT:S just another example of why the world court is so useless.

maybe if it wasn;t used solely as in instrument for political purposes the US might give a fuck what they say.

dan.

~atp~

TRIBE Member

Yah, Nicaragua is one, I wish Sudan would follow up the way Nicaragua did for the bombing of the Al-Shifa plant.

"Well Mr. Clinton, this Lewinsky scandal is really gonna fuck up your popularity...we need a plan!"

"Gosh, you're right...what to do, what to do?"

"I know! Let's bomb the fuck out of one of them little countries in the middle of the ocean, all in the name of terrorism!"

"OH! Good idea!! ....do I get to push the button this time?!?!"

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sporty Dan

maybe if it wasn;t used solely as in instrument for political purposes the US might give a fuck what they say.

dan.
Yes, it's useless because the U.S. doesn't listen to them. Funny how not only did the US ignore the ICC, they ignored the overwhelming vote of the security council (which they vetoed).

It's useless to the U.S., but when another country is tried before the ICC, everything suddenly changes and that country sure as fuck better listen because otherwise they'll be labelled a terrorist or criminal state. Disgusting hypocrisy on the part of the U.S. (primarily) is why the ICC doesn't work.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
the US might give a fuck what they say.
The only way to BE the world court is to renounce the effectiveness of the current one.

The US doesn't want to adhere to the world court because much of their policy relies on bullying other nations and supporting tyrranical regimes, fool. Hence they'd have to stop it, hence they'd lose their strangle hold over weaker nations, hence they'd lose their footing in the world.

Open your eyes. Your rhetoric is tired and transparent. You show no capacity to learn and all you do is blow your load of diarrea all over the thread, no support to back it up and expect people to listen.

p.s. you suck.
:D

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member

dan.

So let me get this straight - If other countries were deemed terrorist states but NOT the US, the World Court would be effective, right?

Have you applied for status yet?

Sporty Dan

TRIBE Member
So let me get this straight - If other countries were deemed terrorist states but NOT the US, the World Court would be effective, right?

Have you applied for status yet?

I;m not saying the US is the Virgin Mary of world politics......if there are legitamate complaints against the them they should be heard........but they are completely undermining their credibility by going after the US, and so far ONLY them.

dan.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I;m not saying the US is the Virgin Mary of world politics......if there are legitamate complaints against the them they should be heard........but they are completely undermining their credibility by going after the US, and so far ONLY them.

dan.

You wanna solve a problem; go to the source.

OTIS

TRIBE Member

dan.
Maybe if you wrap your head around the FACT that the US houses the largest terrorist organization in the world, then you'll understand why.

And don't ask me to give examples, there is a tonne of info in this forum to support that. Go read for yourself.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
The Daily Show had Madeline Albright on last night, discussing this report.

Jon Stewart asks, "It appears that pretty much the entire Muslim world hates us. Is that because we keep bombing them?"

Pure laughs.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I'm really surprised Stewart keeps getting guests like that, especially since they know he's gonna be direct with them.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I swear to god that if I hear the words, "open your eyes" or "educate yourself" one more time ... I'm going to start spamming the politics forum with naked pictures of Rush Limbaugh!!! :mad:

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
and so the pendulum swings.

get attacked everyone cries with you

attack someone else everyone cries foul at you

It'll swing back. In the end people are still going to watch US movies made in Canada. Buy nike shoes made in the orient, buy american stocks for companies operating in south america and invest in oil companies working out of the middle east.

But public opinion means nothing.

"when %97 of the people agree with you, you know you've done something wrong" Trudeau

simple10

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~

"Well Mr. Clinton, this Lewinsky scandal is really gonna fuck up your popularity...we need a plan!"

"Gosh, you're right...what to do, what to do?"

"I know! Let's bomb the fuck out of one of them little countries in the middle of the ocean, all in the name of terrorism!"

"OH! Good idea!! ....do I get to push the button this time?!?!"
funny.... that's just what he did.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-345es.html

http://www.balkanpeace.org/hed/archive/july02/hed5080.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/US/9812/16/clinton.iraq.speech/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/iraq/1998/981216-bill.htm