• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

World Music help..

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'm looking for some recommendations for some interesting world music to listen to. Particularly African and Indian.

Does anyone know how I would go about searching for African choirs? Like the one that was on Sesame Street all the time with Paul Simon?
Not an easy thing to look for.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

bambam

TRIBE Member
check out frederic gallianos work /w the african divas (fcomm)
ry cooder, obviously (work /w ali farka toure, among others)
cant think of anything else off the top of my head.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
sunny, you're thinking of Ladysmith Black Mambazo.
just search for them on whatever music program you're using. they have been putting out albums for years.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
in the same style, you would probably like a song called Senzenina. its a traditional (south?) african song that was on the Power of One soundtrack. also available online.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Afro Celt sound System are worth checking...

i love their second album

nice blend of celtic and african instruments with guitars and electronic pads.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
this might be a bit of a stretch, but if you're diggin N'dour, you could try some Ofra Haza too. shes Israeli, but shes Sephardic.

but no, i haven't hit the gospel jackpot yet. all my world music knowledge comes from my dad. hes a huge fan.
my current faves are Cesaria Evora (from Cape Verde) and Ozomatli (cuban influenced L.A. 12 piece).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders