• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

World Cup proves Cafe Diplomatico is the Balls

acheron

TRIBE Member
hahah I think it says more about their clientele than it does about their (stunning, I know) desire to actually make money during the World Cup.

Seriously it's a place of business. Who wants a crowd of do-nothings camping in your restaurant ordering waters all afternoon?

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Most people spending an afternoon on a patio will easily spend $15/person/hour. That's like 2 drinks an hour.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I don't think it's that much of an unreasonable policy.

It's a restaurant, patio season is where they make money to survive the slow winter months.

I lived on College near Cafe Dip for 3 years, the place isnt very busy for 6 months of the year.

For whatever reason they have the best patio in the heart of Little Italy on College and and TV's outside and that ostensibly attracts a ton of patrons to watch the World Cup matches and since it's a "place to be" it doesn't surprise me that people arrive many hours before the match to stake out a table on the patio. And why should the Cafe lose business for people sitting on their patio table slowly nursing a glass or water or a beer for 3 hours before the match and only THEN order food and drinks? In the end people end up having a table for 5 hours. That patio is pretty busy in summer irrespective of the World Cup, so those tables are in high demand.

I personally wouldn't ever bother, their food isn't that good and there are plenty of other places to watch a game.

But I can sort of understand the policy if people are just camping out at those tables for hours and hours while only having one meal or a beer an hour.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
They were running huge ads on the eaton centre screens for the world cup. I figured that was a little too much for a pub patio. Now I know how they're paying that bill.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

erika

TRIBE Member
Then you have Arte Gelato near my place: big screen on the patio, plenty of room behind the patio, people sit inside the "borders" or stand outside, they don't care.

The grocery store has the games on, the mani-pedi place has the games on, everybody does.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
They filmed a scene for the movie Chloe there..the movie sucked but there is great scene later on with Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore ;)

kuba

TRIBE Member
Oh NO!!! A private establishment with a very popular patio would dare charge a minimum to prevent people sitting and potentially eating into their profits by not ordering enough food or drink? Say it ain't so. We should call the Government and mandate this can never happen. This is terrible! Think of the students!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Next up, The Black Bull patio charging 15 an hour cover to have 3 quarter full pints at $7. It's the Sun Tax.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
They also close the street at Clinton and The dip extends its patio the width if Clinton and add a ton of extra tables. So... The minimum helps more than just protecting the bottom line from people hogging tables and ordering water. And their food is horrible. In what universe were they ever known for their food ?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Yeah the food is terrible. I guess this is the same as when all the places around Church do their thing whenever Pride hits.