• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

World Cup 2010.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Wow, so apparently all construction workers are on strike building stadiums over like a difference of 3% of a pay increase.

not looking good for FIFA now looking like they support this. PR mess brewing.

NKEMELENG NKOSI
Johannesburg — Associated Press Last updated on Wednesday, Jul. 08, 2009 12:18PM EDT
South African construction workers went on an indefinite strike Wednesday at stadiums being built for the 2010 World Cup – a move that could derail Africa's historic first World Cup tournament.

About 70,000 workers at stadiums across the country downed tools after wage negotiations deadlocked earlier this week. Workers are demanding a 13 per cent pay increase while employers are only offering a 10.4 per cent rise.

The strike could delay completion of flagship projects such as the Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg, the Green Point stadium in Cape Town and the Moses Mobhida stadium in Durban.

Stadiums need to be completed by December to meet deadlines set by the world soccer body FIFA before the tournament kicks off in June 2010.

Lesiba Seshoka of the National Union of Mineworkers, which represents construction workers, said the strike would continue until employers met their demands.

The unions have complained that some workers are earning about $1.50 (U.S.) an hour and others $5 a week. Workers in South Africa are supposed to earn a minimum wage of about $200 a month.

“It is a very sad situation in which people think workers must be sacrificial lambs because there is a recession, whilst that recession also affects our members more,” union negotiator Bhekani Ngcobo said in a statement.

The workers have been criticized for jeopardizing South Africa's chances of hosting a successful World Cup – a month-long event avidly watched by hundreds of millions around the world.

But the Congress of South African Trade Unions, which represents the country's largest trade union federations, has come out in support of the construction workers and says the dispute is not targeted at the World Cup.

“COSATU, and the construction workers, are as passionate about the 2010 World Cup as anyone, and will do everything possible to ensure its success. But we will not tolerate the stadiums being built by workers who are underpaid or working in dangerous or unhealthy conditions,” the organization said in a statement.

Danny Jordaan, chief executive of the local organizing committee, said the strike would soon be resolved and was confident the stadiums will be completed on schedule.

“The construction workers have been the lifeblood of the 2010 FIFA World Cup project. Their hard work has ensured that we are on track to meet our deadlines and that our stadiums will be among the best in the world next year,” he said in a statement.

The employers' group, the South African Federation of Civil Engineering Construction, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Patrick Geqeza, a shop steward at the Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg, said he understood the importance of having the World Cup in South Africa and completing the stadiums in time.

“We feel bad about going on strike,” he said, but added that he felt there was little alternative.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
In other news, reports say volunteers will build backup stadiums consisting entirely of

vuvuzela.jpg

SJN

TRIBE Member
YAY! Only 12 months to go until all the 5th generation Canadians suddenly become Italian/Spanish/Portuguese/German/InsertCountryHere and care about soccer for a few weeks.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
YAY! Only 12 months to go until all the 5th generation Canadians suddenly become Italian/Spanish/Portuguese/German/InsertCountryHere and care about soccer for a few weeks.
Hey, it's also one of the rare occasions that I can take an extra-long lunch to go drink beer and watch soccer in bar and tell my boss he needs to respect cultural diversity in the workplace.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member

My last name is German I think I'm safe, and my Rottie is German too.

Colm

TRIBE Member

Whatevs! If the national team wasn't such an unrivalled mess we'd be supporting them instead.

Re: The WC strike

Anyone with half a brain could have seen that South Africa just isn't ready to handle a WORLD CUP. But the morons at FIFA have to have their cake and eat it too.

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member

OMG!
God forbid a few eyeballs might be diverted from this nations massive unobstructed hard-on for hockey for a whole month!
won't someone please think of the children?

for the record, there's plenty of us 1st/2nd/3rd generation Canadians that are huge soccer fans, and follow the game, and the Canadian team for that matter, very closely.
that doesn't mean that come every other summer we can't also cheer for whatever other country we might have ties to.

but yeah, those who only exclusively follow futbol during the big international tournaments are pretty much douchebags.

dig this

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't say so... I'm sure there are plenty of sports that most people follow only during finals/international competitions (i.e. Olympics, tennis grand slams, post season hockey, Masters etc etc)... I wouldn't call people douchebags just cause they tune in for the biggest events.

And yeah... I'll have one, potentially two teams in the WC that I have direct ties to... But I'd break those ties in the second if I could support Canada in 2010. (edit... at least until the knockout stages when I mostlikely would have to pick my back-up team ;) )

looking fwd to Can vs Costa Rica tonight... 7pm sportsnet.

Last edited:

Sylent Syd

TRIBE Member
Anyone with half a brain could have seen that South Africa just isn't ready to handle a WORLD CUP. But the morons at FIFA have to have their cake and eat it too.
Ah good ol' Sepp!...In the next life, I hope he gets to be the bald dude on the Benny Hill show
*slap*slap*slap*slap*slap*slap*

smack

TRIBE Member

Is there something wrong with that? They're just choosing a team to cheer for because clearly Canada won't be making the world cup any time soon.

Colm

TRIBE Member
I thought Germany was the next-best option?

ftr, I would freak out if the WC came to the US, coz Seattle would definitely get a few games.

smack

TRIBE Member
England are officially in.

If Argentina doesn't qualify that will be shocking! Has anyone been watching them? What is wrong with them?

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
we(ARG) dont have a real coach we have a publicity stunt thats making me die inside, if we don't make it in Diego is going to get stoned to death...oh and our defense is garbage and an avg hieght of 5'9 if we're lucky

the way things are going we may not make it in, we have two games to try and make 4th or 5th, 5th= playoff against 5th in the americas group..

England is a great example of what a coach can do for a team, their finally looking like the team they should have been for the past few world cups

JamesM

TRIBE Member
omg. Henry is a total loser.

Ireland is out of the world cup:

The hand of Henry

By Lee Dixon
Henry's former Arsenal team-mate
The manner in which the Republic of Ireland went out to France after Wednesday's World Cup play-off second leg was simply heartbreaking.

I played with Thierry Henry for six years at Arsenal and I can assure you he was as honest as the day is long.

But people will look at his handball in the build-up to France's extra-time equaliser, which sent them to South Africa with a 2-1 aggregate victory, and say he's cheated.

Like Maradona, he knew exactly what he was doing and, for the Thierry I know, that is out of character
Lee Dixon
He has been a truly great footballer - one of the best players we've ever seen in the Premier League - but now people will remember him for that goal against Ireland. It's really sad.

From listening to the radio this morning, I've already heard a lot of Arsenal fans saying Thierry's gone down in their estimations. It's unfortunate, but he's put himself in this position by a moment of madness.

When I first saw the goal I didn't spot the handball. It crossed my mind that the ball had moved in a funny angle and that Thierry was able to keep it in play given his body position. You thought to yourself, 'how did that happen?'.

It's clear what has happened: he's a striker in a dangerous position towards the end of a game and, in a split second, the ball has missed everybody, bounced to him and instinct has kicked in.

We've all done it on the pitch - the ball's gone past you, you're out of position, you stick your arm out, concede a free-kick and sometimes a yellow card.

So I'm not surprised at all he stuck his arm out in the first place. That is not blatant cheating. But the second part, when he scooped the ball back, is the deliberate bit and that's what will taint his reputation.

If you look at Diego Maradona's handball against England in the 1986 World Cup, that was not an instinctive movement.

That's a cheating movement and you look at the second movement of Thierry's hand and say it's deliberate. Like Maradona, he knew exactly what he was doing and, for the Thierry I know, that is out of character.

Thierry realised what happened and that's why he sat down with Dunne on the floor after the final whistle - you could see him telling Dunne what had happened.

neveratruerword
He's in a really difficult situation but he's put himself in that position so let's not feel too sorry for him.

In a perfect world it would be lovely if players owned up to the referee in incidents like this but I can never see it happening.

There's so much riding on these games that the fear of owning up is bigger than the actual silence you put yourself in.

Lee Dixon was speaking to BBC Sport's David Ornstein.

BBC Sport - Football - The hand of Henry

JamesM

TRIBE Member
like waving em' in the air like they just don't care?

henry one of the sport's ambassadors, bastardizes it and effectively ruin's his legacy.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
That was the ref's call to make not Henry's. What was he suppose to do, go up to the ref and tell him it was a hand ball? Even then I don't think the ref will overturn the call.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
it was a double handball. one could be argued as reflex, but the other to guide the ball onto his foot for the pass over is insanity.

He is supposed to be a "fair play, and integrity" sort of guy. So obviously these standards no longer apply.

He is just a shameful, selfish guy. I mean he could have told the ref, and today just about everyone would love the guy. But, that's not the case.

And an intentional handball can't just be deflected back at the ref for not catching it. This guy is is pathetic.

He'll be remembered for cheating his way to the world cup 2010.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Watching the Italians last time made my blood boil. My ancestry is part English I guess but I identify more with my scandinavian roots and Estonia and Finland aren't known for soccer...

So - what am I gonna watch for? The ITALIANS TO LOSE!

I just can't figure out if a shameful early exit or a late-heartbreaker loss will be more damaging to Italian morale.

Whichever is worse, thats what I want.

rawd

TRIBE Member
meh, shit happens. I would have done the same as Henry. Admitted to it, and then dusted myself off.

Must admit that it would have been great to see Ireland go through, and France fail. Keane on the big stage and Domenech looking for a new job