• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Workplace relationship etiquette.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How many of you date or get into relationships with co-workers? I know the rule of thumb is don't do it because it can lead to all kinds of complications and crazy office politics...

In my case though, had my mother & father not met at work, there wouldn't be an alexd! So its not all bad, right? :D

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Well i've whined enough on here about this...everyone knows i've had drama because of my ex and his new partner (who also works at the same company).

I haven't really learned my lesson, as there are currently 3 suitors all at my company that i have been having fun with.

Signed,
Idiot

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
if my gf and I worked together, there are 100 reasons why we'd both get fired pretty quickly...up to and including building a couch fort in the lobby.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
My last girlfriend and I work with each other (still do, I'm her IT guy). I met her when she first came here. We lasted 5.5 years. We also bought a pre-construction condo together and before it was built we split up.

Thankfully we were able to separate amicably and sort out the condo thing (I now live in it and bought her out), and now we're good friends. :) Both her and I are in different relationships as well. I don't know anyone else who could have gone through that without having to go work somewhere else, but we were able to always keep our relationship and work separate. Most of the people in the office knew and some weren't even able to grasp the break up thing but whatever, it's not their life it's ours.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Never dip the pen in company ink.

That said my lady works at the same joint I do. Just not in my department nor under the purview of the same exec. She started 7 or so months after I did...and moved out here with me so it's a whole different scenario.

Only so many employers out here in Podunk, SK.

We also run a business together. It works out great! Business is business...work is work, and home time is just that. We manage the separation easily.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
The guy I have the hots for works at my company. My friends are like 'ohhh dont do it'.. well we work under different VPs.. We are in the same umbrella, meaning both in IT and under the same SVP but on diff. floors etc. My boss's longterm GF also works for the same company. I dont think it's a big deal if ppl work at the same company, just as long as you work at diff depts/areas within the company.. now that people aren't in school how else are you supposed to meet anyone nowadays!

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
In my case though, had my mother & father not met at work, there wouldn't be an alexd! So its not all bad, right? :D
Same here. It is romantic when it succeeds and is potentially disasterous when it fails. Most relationships will fail, and why take those odds? Risky business, I'd say. But sometimes when you really feel strongly about someone, who gives a damn about practicality.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Beer babe I am dying to know what you do for a living and how big your company is!! I think you mentioned all 3 dudes know about one another? Or just that you are dating other people? How do you juggle if they come by where you sit/work/stand?

If I was in love with someone (gad even if I think someone is fun to look at) I'd take the long way to the printer, make up excuses to email them, cross paths etc. Great way to break up a dull day. These dudes have to be circling where you are/sit like seagulls?

Rage

TRIBE Member
Not for it or against it but when you're spending more time with your work colleagues than even family/friends - isn't it more than likely you'll meet a significant other at work?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Well i've whined enough on here about this...everyone knows i've had drama because of my ex and his new partner (who also works at the same company).

I haven't really learned my lesson, as there are currently 3 suitors all at my company that i have been having fun with.

Signed,
Idiot
Wow.

At least you recognize the mistake!

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Beer babe I am dying to know what you do for a living and how big your company is!! I think you mentioned all 3 dudes know about one another? Or just that you are dating other people? How do you juggle if they come by where you sit/work/stand?

If I was in love with someone (gad even if I think someone is fun to look at) I'd take the long way to the printer, make up excuses to email them, cross paths etc. Great way to break up a dull day. These dudes have to be circling where you are/sit like seagulls?
My company is fairly large, but 2 of the guys are under the same VP and work closely together. They both know about each other. These two guys know OF the other guy but don't know who he is. And now a fourth has emerged and is trying to open the door. :O Wtf??

I had a rough conversation with one of the guys (who is head over heals and wants to wait 10 years if he has to). We decided a friendship doesn't work at this time but he handled the situation better than i thought he would. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the guy he works closely with. He's off this week and is going to come back to having a conversation with the guy in love with me and i'll accept whatever he decides.

Wow.

At least you recognize the mistake!
I recognize, trust. It's just been a lot of fun at the same time. And i'm not getting into anything serious here. Keeping it light. (Except for maybe the one i'm in love with). But even that won't end up in a relationship.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
What you should do is bring a female to the Christmas party and fuck all these guys over to make it seem you're a lesbian.

Either way whatever you do this sounds like a very interesting dynamic in your office ;)

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
hah, unfortunately i think they're pretty aware i like men. :)

It is definitely interesting....things have been way too fun lately.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Beer babe, you gave me nothing! Working under a same VP could be 3 people or 30 depending on industry and company size. What is the industry?! And fairly large is 35 people or 350? 'fairly large' is related to category. If its Telco I'm assuming 400. If you make cheese with some framers then 35 is huge. Just trying to picture all these people interacting together.

peko

TRIBE Member
Beer babe,

3 words: locker room talk

Does ^this^ not worry you? What happened with the Director? I was rooting for him.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
My company is fairly large, but 2 of the guys are under the same VP and work closely together. They both know about each other. These two guys know OF the other guy but don't know who he is. And now a fourth has emerged and is trying to open the door. :O Wtf??

I had a rough conversation with one of the guys (who is head over heals and wants to wait 10 years if he has to). We decided a friendship doesn't work at this time but he handled the situation better than i thought he would. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the guy he works closely with. He's off this week and is going to come back to having a conversation with the guy in love with me and i'll accept whatever he decides.

I recognize, trust. It's just been a lot of fun at the same time. And i'm not getting into anything serious here. Keeping it light. (Except for maybe the one i'm in love with). But even that won't end up in a relationship.
you have 30 car pile up (realationship wise) written all over you
these "guys" should be running away screaming