• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Workplace Danger

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Strictly speaking, I am not an engineer.

I did not finish all the courses, I did not relax all the tensions.

However, I *DID* finish the ethics courses.

And I most definitely *DID* finish the part of the education that says

me> "Hey, people should not die at work."

i know I should not use his name but I really, REALLY, want to use his name, this controller at a Toyota Keisretsu company.

When I first started "Engineering ethics", I guess, honestly, I thought it was ridiculous. Why would an engineer need any ethics?

But this man, this scoundrel of a bastard, this ass eating poor man of an idiot, he told me directly to my face, that safety is not required in this company. That for whatever crazy reason, according to accountants, mac

hines in place for the safety of workers are not really, not really required,

This controller told me this idea to my FACE.

I will give you the facts, it was TOYOTA.

I was just so stunned, I quit on the spot.

-jM
A&D

djfear

TRIBE Member
Good on you for not taking that bullshit.

The funny thing is, there is so much work place danger and these days a lot of it is more so psychological or mental bullying. I see so much of it in the workplace, but in very minimal ways. Just the way people talk to each other, the games they play, and the way certain people treat work - like it defines their character and their livelihood. And some of these people have nothing else better to do than to become the epitome of the antagonists in movies like Office Space, or any other tv show where one of the characters is a dickhead.

It's funny, really. Sad at the same time though.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Good on you for not taking that bullshit.

The funny thing is, there is so much work place danger and these days a lot of it is more so psychological or mental bullying. I see so much of it in the workplace, but in very minimal ways. Just the way people talk to each other, the games they play, and the way certain people treat work - like it defines their character and their livelihood. And some of these people have nothing else better to do than to become the epitome of the antagonists in movies like Office Space, or any other tv show where one of the characters is a dickhead.

It's funny, really. Sad at the same time though.
I recognize that plenty of people play workplace banter, and nothing comes of it.

My particular job, before I quit on the spot, was international trade and for the most part a financial position. It wasn't my particular responsibility to design work cells and I didn't report to management about health or safety hazards. It was my job to purchase heavy machinery and to hedge the risk of obsolescence. The purchase and sale of raw material commodities and then the repurchase of finished goods, like, say, robots.

This robotic work cell, like all legal robotic work cells in Canada, is governed by a safety programmable logic controller. This work cell involves a human's interaction with the robots. While the intelligence of the robots is fixed and predictable, the intelligence of the Human can vary from shift to shift. The robots are going to do the same thing once human presses green button "GO".

Humans get lazy and sometimes are not paying attention. That's just a human thing. Everybody deserves a safe work place.

Realizing that humans get lazy or don't always pay attention to their own safety, there are PLCs (programmable logic contollers) that govern the motion and activity of the robots. Keep in mind, these are fierce machines that weigh a ton or usually more, they activate 10k+ volts at any time and they don't have eyes or feelings. They weld steel like it's nobody's business and mix well with human flesh.

So I told this contoller,

me> "You know, they aren't going to make this equipment much longer."
CFO> "So?"
me> "I mean we need to find another safety PLC, otherwise the workers are going to get hurt."
CFO> "Jeff, you're just exaggerating things."
me> "Seriously, I think this could be a real problem."
CFO> "Well, there is (**) looking out for these kinds of things."
me> "Seriously, I'm looking out for it right now?"
CFO> "Don't worry about the safety of people. It's expensive."
me> well some words here
me> "I quit."

-jM
A&D