• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

workout buffs: help

Skipper

TRIBE Member
OK, help. In the last couple of years I've lost a lot of weight (60) and am now down to the last 5-8 pounds. and I can't get it off.

I need some advice for breaking through the infamous plateau...

More cardio?
Stricter dieting? (I'm not willing to do anything drastic, like atkins or south beach or whatever.)

I'm currently doing 3 days at the gym, 50% weights and 50% moderate intensity cardio. I also do yoga once a week. My trainer gave me a fitness assessment - I'm still 24% BF and losing 5 would get me to 20%.

But that seems impossible. :(

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Good you posted BF %...

I was gonna scream about the lbs.. don't judge by weight.
Inches! Firmness ...

And I would suggest stricter diet, more cardio and more weights ;)

pr0nstar :D

deep

TRIBE Member
ephedrine / caffeine stack (increases lipolysis)

switching your cardio to right after you wake up , on an empty stomach (increases lipolysis)

caffeine prior to cardio (increases lipolysis)

if you've been dieting straight for a long time, take a week off and eat as you please to let your metabolism recover. after sustained dieting it tends to kick into starvation mode and more stubbornly hold onto fat stores. one step back to take two steps forward kind of thing.

do you keep exact records of how many calories / protein / carbohydrates you consume in a day? imho, this is the single most important thing to do when cutting fat

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
do u bike, Skipper? today i'm starting my after work biking treks. 24 km figure-8 loop up the Don Valley starting in CabbageTown. the winter poundage just melts away ...

*looking for victims*

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

deep

TRIBE Member
another thing, how does your trainer take your bodyfat percentage? I'd really be suspect of someone losing 60 lbs. (!) and being 24% bodyfat. Their methods may not be the most accurate.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
do you keep exact records of how many calories / protein / carbohydrates you consume in a day? imho, this is the single most important thing to do when cutting fat
How do you manage to do that? Like find the correct levels of each, and then find out how much each food has?

deep

TRIBE Member
t-mag is just an attempt to reciprocate the formula that muscle media 2000 had before it went mainstream

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
ephedrine / caffeine stack (increases lipolysis)

switching your cardio to right after you wake up , on an empty stomach (increases lipolysis)

caffeine prior to cardio (increases lipolysis)

if you've been dieting straight for a long time, take a week off and eat as you please to let your metabolism recover. after sustained dieting it tends to kick into starvation mode and more stubbornly hold onto fat stores. one step back to take two steps forward kind of thing.

I wouldn't say I'm dieting, but I'm no garbage guts either. I eat good food, try not to overeat, but sometimes the cravings get the better of me. There's room for improvement on that front, but my willpower seems to have disappeared.

I do workout in the mornings already, on an empty stomach.

How much ephedrine would you recommend? Those 25mg pills made me feel really uncomfortable....I got bad headaches on the "comedown"

Edit: No, I don't keep track of carbs/cals/fats/proteins in my diet. The closest I ever did to that was when I was on weight watchers...

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
t-mag is just an attempt to reciprocate the formula that muscle media 2000 had before it went mainstream
The same guys write (wrote?) both, so yeah. But I'm unfamilar with muscle media 2000.

lok

TRIBE Member
aside from the tidbits here, the last 5-8lbs can be had by increasing the intensity/fitness level of your work out. this is a slow process, especially if you're not driven for some other reason (ie sport competition) however, if you manage to do it, your body will eat off the last couple lbs of fat.

As an example, if you run a certain distance, start very gradually increasing the speed, elevation, distance etc. choose one variable at a time. eventually, you will be doing a much harder work out while keeping at the same heart rate as before.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Edit: No, I don't keep track of carbs/cals/fats/proteins in my diet. The closest I ever did to that was when I was on weight watchers...
Check out the site I posted, free and easy.

Especially if you eat the same sort of things on a weekly basis.
You can add your own foods and calories, etc...

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
How do you manage to do that? Like find the correct levels of each, and then find out how much each food has?
the usda has an online nutritional database of food values , which can be adjusted for volume or mass of food consumed

similar kind of thing at fitday as mentioned

you can also pick up a nutritional almanac with food values in it

I think keeping tight track of what is actually consumed is the single most important factor in the equation...because otherwise it's just eye balling things, and people's perceptions of how much they eat, how calorie laden food is, etc. may be significantly off what actual values are. dieters for example can both overestimate how much they eat in a day (increasing the likelihood of kicking themselves into starvation mode) or underestimate how much they actually eat (not keeping tabs on small snacks or whatever that do end up contributing to total calories per day).

Once you have exact numbers on how much you eat in a week, and what your typical activity level is, it becomes very easy to make decisions on what adjustments need to be made in order to see the results you want. Like if you know that fat loss was less than expected for a given week at a particular calorie level, you can shave small amounts off meals like 50-100 cals. over the aggregate / week that can add up significantly, but per meal it's not a huge change at all.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I wouldn't say I'm dieting, but I'm no garbage guts either. I eat good food, try not to overeat, but sometimes the cravings get the better of me. There's room for improvement on that front, but my willpower seems to have disappeared.

The single most important thing you can do is keep tabs on your diet. If you're having troubles attaining the goal that you want, that's really where I think you should look first. Actually putting numbers on how much you eat in a day, per meal, etc. Calculating weekly averages, etc. The added benefit of this approach (besides giving you a clear number on what you're eating, and how this impacts your goals) is that it tends to clean up people's eating habits, when they have to write it down and keep a log of what they're doing.

Try that before all the other suggestions, it's the most fundamental consideration.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
The same guys write (wrote?) both, so yeah. But I'm unfamilar with muscle media 2000.
yeah, some of the disgruntled writers who were booted from muscle media 2000 (magazine started up by the guy who started up EAS, before he started up EAS...sold out and then became all mainstream)

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
FYI best way to get protein and nutrients is to intake it in a natural form not to supplement it with shakes.

AND ephidrine is BAD people.

RJ45

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
FYI best way to get protein and nutrients is to intake it in a natural form not to supplement it with shakes.

AND ephidrine is BAD people.
myth x2

Skipper

TRIBE Member
The single most important thing you can do is keep tabs on your diet. If you're having troubles attaining the goal that you want, that's really where I think you should look first.
Guh, I'm pondering this idea as I eat leftover easter candy.

I suck!

But you're right, I know you are. I just love food so much...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders