• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Working UK hours (4am - noon): Would you do it?

scott

TRIBE Member
So I have this opportunity for this position that pays quite a bit more than I'm currently making however it's supporting our UK partners and I have to be in the office at 4am every day. I'd have a free cab to work every day but it's still 4am.

I'd also be observing all UK statutory holidays.

Am I insane for even considering this? Would you do it?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

angelsole

TRIBE Member
is it a job you would absolutely love to do? b/c if yes then you take it! regardless of the hours. your body will adjust and then it won't be so bad. plus you will be able to get all your errands etc done when it's not crowded b/c the rest of the world is at work!

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
Dear Tribe,

I woke up today & found a new kind of toilet paper in my house. Should I wipe my ass with it? I can't possibly solve problems in my life without consulting friends & some strangers.

Thanks
Galactic Phantom

artemis

TRIBE Member
Galactic Phantom said:
Dear Tribe,

I woke up today & found a new kind of toilet paper in my house. Should I wipe my ass with it? I can't possibly solve problems in my life without consulting friends & some strangers.

Thanks
Galactic Phantom

pffft.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

scott

TRIBE Member
Galactic Phantom said:
Dear Tribe,

Thanks
Galactic Phantom

Dear Galactic Phantom,

Go fuck yourself.

Sincerly,

Scott

kuba

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't do it. 4am is a ridiculous hour to start. Think about your social life

"hey scott, wanna go get a beer?"

"sorry dick, I have to be up at THREE FUCKING AM"

so if you go to sleep at 9 PM you STILL wont be able to have a normal 8-hours of sleep.

4am? are you fucking CRAZY?

the ONLY good thing about 4am was the fact that INDUSTRY called their Saturday nights: 4am.

Other than that, you're crazy. You might as well go have sex w/ that crazy ex of yours, too!

DONT DO IT!

kuba

TRIBE Member
Don't bother with galactic Toothpick. He looks like bonk the videogame, and acts like a 15-year old.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
no different than working midnights.. you get used to it eventually..

I've work ed10pm to 8:30am.. also worked 6am -2:30pm.

it depends what you value more.. money, or going for beers with friends in the week... personally money talks for me...

also switching onto a shif is easier in summer...

kuba

TRIBE Member
that will royally fuck up your sleep pattern.

work 4am-noon. sleep noon to 4pm. go out til 11, and in bed til 3?

you won't be rested. i'll give you six weeks and your posts will look like this;

hggfsdahg
gfhsdglfdsgsdfgsdfg
sdf
ggsdfgsdf

you won't even be able to figure out what time/day/week/month it is. you'll feel like you were just kicked in the balls AND kicked in the head.

at the same time.

artemis

TRIBE Member
Yeah... that's what i was thinking also - instead of sleeping before, you could sleep after, or devide it into 4 hour chunks?

Also, how alert do they want you to be? I've heard that IT night shifts ROCK since there are no bosses to bother with etc...

Then again, Kuba might have a point...

scott

TRIBE Member
When I was told about the position I said to myself "no fucking way".

Then I thought about it more and applied. I received a request for interview this morning. I just declined.

Every single person I talked to about it today said "you're crazy if you do that". I tried to trick myself into it.

Ah well....

kuba

TRIBE Member
p.s. the 'going out for beers' comment was not intended to be serious. the most important thing is the sleep.

kuba

TRIBE Member
how much more in % terms would you be making?

what's the point ofmaking it if you can't ENJOY your life?

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I would do it. I would get up at any hour to be off work for noon.

If you dont want the job, tell your boss ill take it

jazzsax

TRIBE Member
how about, paint your windows BLACK.

Then, work 4am-noon. Come home, sleep until 8pm or so, or until your friends start calling asking you to FSU (Fuck Shit Up, aka Get Crazy, aka Whose line is it anyway). If you can handle it, hang out until 3am or so, then cab to work. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Granted, if your work schedule is during the week, it shouldn't hurt that bad, unless you're still going hard sunday night, in which case monday will suck.

How much of a money improvement is it? Perhaps they would let you do it on a trial basis.

FSU styles should always play into your work schedule. :)

Stan

TRIBE Member
You can pursue this if you don't intend on having a social life and you live in a quiet neighborhood. If you have a S/O, and /or close friends and family, don't plan on seeing them very much. Even on weekends, cos your sleeping patterns will be so fucked up and out of sync with the rest of the world.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
so you decided not to take it? probably for the best. unless it was a job that really inspired you, there's no way you'd ever stop missing your normal sleep pattern.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
thats what weekends are for....

working shifts you have to make a regular sleep pattern.. whether its going to bed at 8pm, sleeping till 3am, or going to bed in the afteroon and getting up at midnight...

I dont' think its really all that bad.. I would work it... probably not long term.. but for a while..

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
it personally could never do that.

you'd be awake only during the darkeness, only to see light on the way to bed, I'd never adjust to that....not to mention half the fun of working is getting off work, going for beers, or meeting people for a lunch date, etc etc.

nothing at all is going to be open at that time.

money/life isn't worth anything if you're never around to enjoy any of it.