• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

working in the Alberta oil industry

dj umlaut

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know anything about working in the oilpatch? Fort McMurray? How does one go about finding a job out there?

madnezz

TRIBE Member
all i've heard is they are desperate for people and willing to pay crazy dollars for those who want to work!

good luck!

madnezz

TRIBE Member
dj umlaut said:
Ya....looking for a little more truth and detail than that....good effort though.
i just did ONE quick google search for Fort McMurray + Employment and a whole whack of stuff came up.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
My friend used to do it and absolutely hated it. They did pay him mad coin and gave him a pickup truck though. If you're willing to give up a year of social interaction for financial reward, then go for it. Personally I'd do a few stints at Biovale first, but that's just me.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
whatever the work, you'll have to go through a training program first, as oilpatch jobs range from the technical to the dangerous. They pay you a lot, but to use your example, Ft. McMurray also has one of the highest costs of living in the country, and it sucks there. The Alberta phonebook is filled with service companies, so maybe give one a call. Or choose from the list of public service companies, where remuneration can also be in the form of participation. The shifts are hellish, by the way, 15-20 on, 7 off, that sort of thing.

good luck !

labRat

TRIBE Member
my uncle just went over there from Timmins, no formal edjumacation only labour and management work in the forests and mines. he got training and a job pretty much right away. not sure the details but it seems like a good bet if you're willing to sacrifice your time at home for long stints.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bitchass

TRIBE Member
defazman said:
you can get $15/hour working at Wendy's there, so imagine what a skilled trade position can get you.
Yeah, but house prices (for sales and rent) are pretty much the highest in the country. Renting a room will cost you $1000+ a month and, as already mentioned, all other costs of living are ridiculous.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
If you end up going and have some time off on a weekend, blow up some Halliburton stuff for me k thx.

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
As most people have stated, getting a trade is the way to go - but if you're willing to work in the service industry then by all means go ahead. If you did decide to go, I would highly doubt that you would not be able to get a job in the first week or two.

As far as living conditions are concerned, it's not necessary to live in Fort Mac. I know of quite a few people that live in Edmonton, but that travel by bus on a weekly basis. During their time in Fort Mac, they're usually sharing an apartment with the night crew i.e. day crew sleeps in the same apartment as the night crew.

Personally having worked in Northern B.C. for the past few years, I would never go to Fort Mac.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Hog you have turned into a texbook newfoundlander: looking for work in Alberta.

:0

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
...and don't forget the -40 winter.
I lived and worked in Ft. McMurraqy for 2 years...great $$$ for even basic labouring jobs but the community is really transitional and isolated - I worked as the Executive Director of the detox and it's the only place in Canada (that I'm aware of) where (injection) cocaine is the drug of choice after alcohol :eek: If you're somewhat educated and motivated, it can provide opportunities that you simply won't get in other communities.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
Hog you have turned into a texbook newfoundlander: looking for work in Alberta.

No despite my unemployment streak (up until yesterday that is) I never once considered sucking the black tit and going to work out there. I probably never would.

Although my gf is doing petroleum engineering, which makes for some pretty diverse POV's. ;)

dj umlaut

TRIBE Member
CIRCE (Sir C) said:
...and don't forget the -40 winter.
I lived and worked in Ft. McMurraqy for 2 years...great $$$ for even basic labouring jobs but the community is really transitional and isolated - I worked as the Executive Director of the detox and it's the only place in Canada (that I'm aware of) where (injection) cocaine is the drug of choice after alcohol :eek: If you're somewhat educated and motivated, it can provide opportunities that you simply won't get in other communities.
That's the kind of thing I'm wondering. Is it possible to live in that town and work with guys who aren't drunk or on coke on their days off? I worked in High Level and it seemed pretty hard to find people you'd want to hang out with. If you go out there and take a job, is it hard to switch into a better job if one comes along? How much would education (university) count for, if anything? If you didn't have a skilled trade but you were smart and had some education, could you climb into management? Do oil companies sponsor MBAs?

Thanks for the info and advice, everyone.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
Become a newfie (if you aren't one already)
haha it's true. i worked with a newf six years ago and he worked "on the patch". he had some real horror stories of disfigurements...

Karim

TRIBE Member
A good friend of mine is out in Alberta working for Talisman. Doing his co-op with pay. All I know is he's miserable out there socially and sick of watching reruns of Shawshank Redemption on Spike.

He was supposed to work to september but opted to cut his term short to the end of April.

Give me some specific questions and I'll be sure to pass them on to him to answer....he's got nothing better to do.

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
dj umlaut said:
That's the kind of thing I'm wondering. Is it possible to live in that town and work with guys who aren't drunk or on coke on their days off? I worked in High Level and it seemed pretty hard to find people you'd want to hang out with. If you go out there and take a job, is it hard to switch into a better job if one comes along? How much would education (university) count for, if anything? If you didn't have a skilled trade but you were smart and had some education, could you climb into management? Do oil companies sponsor MBAs?

Thanks for the info and advice, everyone.
If you're more interested in the business and marketing side of things, it may be a better possibility to look for opportunities in Calgary where all of the hq are based out of. From what I've seen, many of the office people have next to little actual plant experience but have more involvement with the buying/selling of oil and gas.

There is no question that the work is there (in both Fort Mac and Calgary) and will continue to be there for quite some time, but whether you're willing to give up your current lifestyle and adapt to life there is another question entirely.

Last edited:

poker face

TRIBE Member
Welders and Pipefitters are in high demand there. They have camps where you can stay. The only thing you have to watch out for is spending your money on Booze, Gambling, and Whores. My Union is always dispaching people out there. Go out in the summer though because I hear it is fucking freezing there. Also You can bring in a shit load of cash in a short period of time.