• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

women and jungle

kate

TRIBE Member
I often wonder why there are so few women who dig jungle. I've liked it for as long as I can remember...but there seems to be something that turns most females off about it.

I'm not complaining, I don't really have a problem being one of the few girls around, I just find it strange that more often to not jungle parties are just one big cockfest.

Any thoughts?

seeker

TRIBE Member
i used to think exactly the opposite: "what the hell is it about jungle that attracts all these women?!"

eventually i chalked it up to that wonderful sub-bass sound. i actually heard one time that those low frequencies affect women differently then men. it's probably all bullshit, but who knows?

anyway, if you're to believe the brits (and their UK Garage), the women left when the dark, hard sounds took over.

on a related note, what was the name of the tune by slip and slide a few years ago with the sweet female vocal?

tella

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seeker:
on a related note, what was the name of the tune by slip and slide a few years ago with the sweet female vocal?</font>
let me know.

Nebu kad

TRIBE Member
For those of you that tunrned out for our Skylab night, i'd say that the girl to guy ratio was pretty darn decent. Sure as hell wasn't a cock-fest.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
I think it's more of a social thing really... girls in our society tend not to like such aggressive tendencies. They gravitate towards things like house because it's more "girly." But then, that's not necessarily your or my definition of girly, it's what has formed in north american, western society.

Extending that theory, jungle has historically been darker, agressive, and more abbrasive than other genres of dance music. Therefore girls tend to shy away from it because it doesn't fit with their self-image. That's why you're seeing more and more girls enjoying drum n bass these days when they here the less offensive, musical, "housey" sounds.

Which is okay by me though, because I like that music too.

Rob

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I think that girls show up more at the "parties", where kenny ken and hype show up...not to say that they dig the more "known" djs and producers,but that they really dig the "jungle" aspect of the scene.I personally don't know too many girls who can just smoke a joint and listen to a klute album!

If you do,then...wow!

AVE

TRIBE Member
isn't there a sub-bass frequency that makes you lose all control over your bowels??

lol

CC

TRIBE Member
too much tough-guy d&b being played ruined it i think. it stopped being fun, and turned a little too serious. plus having a blabber mouth up on stage strutting his masculinity can't do wonders for the female attendence. if they toned everything down a notch and played more vocal tunes, we wouldn't have this problem.

that's my two cents.

CC

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SE7EN

TRIBE Member
AVE: yes. that's called "the brown note." think of custlo at the breakdown.

kate: they've been to the wrong parties where the wrong music was played at the wrong venue packed with the wrong crowd...and through this, gotten the wrong impression. from that point, it's pretty hard to convince a woman to hit a drum&bass party, even if you try to explain that some are geared toward satisfying a broader audience that includes women. ie Intimate, ie Vital.

and Shawn's: you fucking kill me man! you know that as a guy, we just tune it out. we're designed for shit like that. but you know that a woman looking onstage at a sweaty guy jumping up and down rambling incoherently and grabbing at his crotch would just say "what the fuck is this shit? I'm out of here."

-7-

vox

TRIBE Member
there's a lot of essentialist gender assumptions being made here...which imo are kinda silly.

there's tonnes of female producers in the breakcore scene who rock it harder than any so-called hard jungle being played today...

that's like asking: why are so many jungle listeners white? etc.

AVE

TRIBE Member
I'm gonna make a tune with the "brown note" and play it for unsuspecting bastards....as long as i'm outta the room when the bass drops!

sweet revenge

SE7EN

TRIBE Member
vox: no one knows what the hell you're talking about.

AVE: honestly. fuck all the pleasantries re: making an actual song to deliver the brown note. I dare say it can stand on its own!

but again, to stay on topic, existing songs with the brown note are USUALLY not welcome by the fairer sex. as rob pointed out, they want something deeper. fuller. more housey. just a little faster, and a little harder :)

-7-

PS shouts out to DJ Vise! original-brown-note-mass-pants-shitting-inducinator.

Lesslyn

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by terrawrist III:
I think that girls show up more at the "parties", where kenny ken and hype show up...not to say that they dig the more "known" djs and producers,but that they really dig the "jungle" aspect of the scene.I personally don't know too many girls who can just smoke a joint and listen to a klute album!

If you do,then...wow!
</font>
I love klute!

I don't know if it has anything to do with gender really. I do agree that alot of girls might be attracted to the jungle aspect of the scene, but alot of girls would also be turned off of it. I generally find that guys seem to be more knowledgeable about jungle than girls, though not always, as I would like to think I am pretty knowledgeable about any type of music I am passionate about. Personally, what brought me into this scene was jungle and has always remained my favorite style of music. Like said previously, parties tend to have a good girl:guy ratio and I have also found lately that clubs do too, Milano's usually has its fair share of girls as well as guys. I know alot of girls who find jungle to harsh and powerful, too dark and "scary" and would rather listen to house or trance. I guess its all a matter of personal preference...

Leslie

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
shannon &lt; junglist, and female!

I would love to have more female friends into jungle.. Kate if you ever wanna go out and dance let me know!!

ecstasy riot

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CC:
too much tough-guy d&b being played ruined it i think. it stopped being fun, and turned a little too serious. plus having a blabber mouth up on stage strutting his masculinity can't do wonders for the female attendence. if they toned everything down a notch and played more vocal tunes, we wouldn't have this problem.

that's my two cents.

CC
</font>
I think your whole quote is sexist but at the same time you are observing what you see which may be right, but the assumptions you are going on that women like things girly and toned down so they can be their "feminine" selves while listening to d&b.

What is "tough guy" d&b? Anything that is categorized is categorized in opposition of something else, so is it in oppoistion of "tough girl" d&b, which i never heard of, or to "girly girly vocal" d&b?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">plus having a blabber mouth up on stage strutting his masculinity can't do wonders for the female attendence</font>
that i agree with, so many times i heard the mc's sayin shit like go down on me in other vulgar terms, or the girls all around me, etc. But that's the Mc's not music.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if they toned everything down a notch and played more vocal tunes, we wouldn't have this problem.</font>
Toned it down? Tone the BMP down, I'm not sure? I like it fast, and hard and dirty, and I also like it sweet and melodic. Just cos I'm a girl doesn't mean I don't, which I am sure can be said for a lot of females.

Why is vocal associated with "girly d&b" anyway? Why must there br girl/guy jungle? Reinforcing stereotypes in a scene that preaches "1love". Or at least I hear a lot of those MC's assaulting the audience with their blabber about how we are one community and peace and love to all.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kul-kat

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ecstasy riot:

Why is vocal associated with "girly d&b" anyway?
</font>
serious. whenever a song like shake it comes on, you always hear 'this one's for the ladies.' sure, this tune was one of my favourites, but i'm definitely more into the darker stuff than anything else.

ecstasy riot

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kul-kat:
you always hear 'this one's for the ladies.'</font>
I think I have heard that repeated more times than smoke the ganja.

Surprisingly.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ecstasy riot:
Why is vocal associated with "girly d&b" anyway? Why must there br girl/guy jungle? </font>
That's just how our society works, folks. You can choose to accept it or not, but it's still there. And unfortunately, the vast majority of people simply accept it without thinking twice, so good luck changing the underlying stereotype. If you choose to transcend "genders" in music (which entirely makes sense to me, I don't agree with grouping music into masculine and feminine categories either), simply find other people who think the same way, and enjoy the music with them! Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Rob

kate

TRIBE Member
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that vocal D&B is associated with being girly because 95% of the vocals on these tracks are female.

It doesn't really have to be a big philosophical debate, I don't think anyone is trying to "genderize" jungle. I think its simply a matter that there is soemthing inherant about jungle that girls don't like. Its certainly not as easy to listen to as say Mark Farina type house.

I personally would rather go and hear tommy play some really dark rough shit than go and hear atmospheric drum and bass.

But then some of us like it hard. :p