• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

witnessing traumatic events

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

swenard

TRIBE Member
A transport truck with no trailer was driving in front of me and light changed. He sped up to run the light but changed his mind in the last second. The truck slid sideways up onto the median at the corner and took out a mom and her three kids. The mom survived unharmed, her youngest died and the other two had missing limbs and worse. When I became a parent, my view of that accident changed and it haunts me whenever I pass Dixie and Derry in Mississauga.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
A transport truck with no trailer was driving in front of me and light changed. He sped up to run the light but changed his mind in the last second. The truck slid sideways up onto the median at the corner and took out a mom and her three kids. The mom survived unharmed, her youngest died and the other two had missing limbs and worse. When I became a parent, my view of that accident changed and it haunts me whenever I pass Dixie and Derry in Mississauga.

Just about threw up in my mouth.

Jay

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member

Worst one yet.

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
I saw a Canada goose get hit by a car this morning and flop around on the road afterwards. Totally killed the buzz I had going after scoring some 50% off jalapeño cheese bread.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Oh wow. That's fucking depressing.

You win.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
1. Many years ago driving home from work on Warden Ave, I was sitting at a red light going south. A young girl of maybe 12 or 13 was crossing eastbound at a green light when an older woman ran the light in the middle-turn lane. The girl was catapulted off the front of the car and somersaulted 15 feet into the air before hitting the ground. I was on the phone with 911 almost immediately and a lot of people got out to check on her. I didn't hang around long, but I did get close to her and she wasn't in good shape. I can still close my eyes and watch it happen again and again and it happened about 8 years ago.

2. This past Friday I was out for a bike ride when I stopped at a red light at Vic Park and St. Clair and heard a bunch of sirens. I looked to my right and noticed a traffic jam southbound on Vic Park and saw a lot of people huddled around something. When I got there, I saw a car in the middle-lane and a man lying on the ground in front of the car, his e-bike was lying next to him and there was blood everywhere. I didn't want to add to the scene so I hung back and didn't stay long, but I got the picture. I think the e-bike was attempting to take a left onto Vic Park and got t-boned by the car. The guy wasn't moving at all and his leg was fangled beyond recognition. I really hope he made it.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Driving home from a friends place when I was 18 yrs old. I was driving my vehicle and approaching a 90 degree turn in the Kingston Mills area for those familiar with Kingston. I watched a a car coming in the other direction whom was traveling roughly 50-60km. They misjudged the turn and drove straight into a rock wall.

When I approached the vehicle both occupants were non responsive. I ran to a near by home and dialed 911. Waited for emergency services to arrive and left my information with one of the officers. Both occupants turned out to be ok outside of being knocked out and various cuts and brusies.

They obtained my information about a month later and the occupants and parents of the occupants came to thank me for calling 911 and sticking around. At 18 I had no training in first aid or cpr so I had no idea what to do other than try to talk to them and call 911.

Last edited:

derek

TRIBE Member
2. This past Friday I was out for a bike ride when I stopped at a red light at Vic Park and St. Clair and heard a bunch of sirens. I looked to my right and noticed a traffic jam southbound on Vic Park and saw a lot of people huddled around something. When I got there, I saw a car in the middle-lane and a man lying on the ground in front of the car, his e-bike was lying next to him and there was blood everywhere. I didn't want to add to the scene so I hung back and didn't stay long, but I got the picture. I think the e-bike was attempting to take a left onto Vic Park and got t-boned by the car. The guy wasn't moving at all and his leg was fangled beyond recognition. I really hope he made it.

that's a tricky spot to turn left due the bend in the road eastbound traffic come around, or the hill westbound traffic comes down on st clair. you really have to pay attention, especially for speeding cars.

lushys

TRIBE Member
that's a tricky spot to turn left due the bend in the road eastbound traffic come around, or the hill westbound traffic comes down on st clair. you really have to pay attention, especially for speeding cars.

Those E-Bikes are such a hazard, I hate driving with them on the road. People with no license or understanding of the rules of the road roaming free amongst vehicles that weight tons and traveling at high speeds. So dangerous, get them off the road!

As for my worst experience, drove by a dude who crashed his motorcycle on the Queensway here in Ottawa, dude was bloated like 4x a normal persons size and all black and purple, that was horrible.

The one that I kind of black out and only remember sometimes (the scalp peeling story reminded me of it) was driving in Quebec I saw a whole family (including a baby) in body bags and a totally destroyed Ford Probe with Emergency crews just hanging their heads. Don't know why they didn't block off the road, although I suppose it's sort of a mini-highway along the Ottawa River. That was fucked up.....

Brandon

TRIBE Member
If anyone asks me why I'm sporting a thousand-yard stare, I'm just going to point to this thread.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
While a student at UWO in London we were at Barney's patio on Richmond and heard an insanely loud smash. We looked over to see a girl's body lying in the road. She was thrown quite some distance from the point of impact. She was crossing with the light with a friend, likely to head over to TJ Baxter's patio across the street - there was always a lot of activity on that corner due to the number of bars. A drunk driver ran the light and smashed into her and kept on trucking. The cops caught up with him later. The girl didn't make it. I'm kinda glad that I was already pretty drunk at the time - it helped to numb the reality of it all and assisted me in trying to forget the horrible sadness. But i still think of her from time to time - even nearly 20 years later (dating myself).

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
The other crazy thing i (nearly) witnessed was on my first trip to NYC in '98. We happened upon the scene of a high rise jumper. The body was already covered but there was a fair bit of 'stuff' lying about nearby. I read in the NY Post the next day that the jumper was a terminally ill old man. He nearly took out the life of woman on his way down, but luckily I think his impact just broke her arm.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I saw the male that got struck by the streetcar on St Clair today.

We all waited 45 minutes at st clair stn, and it seemed all the streetcars came in at the same time. We were in a completely packed streetcar, and made it one stop light before we stopped in front of a streetcar going the other way which hit the male that's in the news.

We all had to exit the streetcar in front of the scene, and it was horrible. :( Poor guy. Just devastating. RIP.

Man, nothing can prepare you for that. Makes you think about life. You can make it to 80 years old, then get smoked by a streetcar. Everything becomes irrelevant at that point. It's on auto repeat in my head right now.

It was in between intersections. I'm not sure how it happened.

The sound of the streetcar chime going off repeadedly as an alarm is stuck in my head with the body, and blood. The driver was in shambles, and a few passengers on that streetcar were taking charge of the situation, and holding it all together.

Truely sad. I don't even know how to write this. Or even if I want to. But, yeah. Love life is my advice.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
brutal story JamesM
i'm sorry that you had to see that.
good to hear that some people were able to get it together and help deal with the gravity of the situation - there are a few of those in every crowd i guess. special people they are.
hope you're doing okay today

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Cheers, i'm fine. Thanks for asking. What a week.

Certainly big ups on those folks who ran to the rescuse of the TTC, and this guy's life.

Just regular passengers on that streetcar.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
The driver was having a complete meltdown, and then what can you do as a passenger, but sheild everything until the authorities came. Just one of us.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
The driver was having a complete meltdown, and then what can you do as a passenger, but sheild everything until the authorities came. Just one of us.

Yeah that would be super traumatic. Hope the driver got crisis counselling (and also anyone on the streetcar that witnessed the accident that needs it).

I read something that receiving crisis counselling right away after such traumas can help prevent PTSD later.