• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Witches Burnt in Africa - whoa

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i lasted all of 10 seconds watching that.

once that burning corpse just fell back into the ditch after she tried to climb out...

yea.. no. not for me.

futronic

TRIBE Member
monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

She's a witch!

-- Jay aka Fut

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
There's that one guy or girl who's just sitting there, their arms and chest burning, and all they're doing is bobbing back and forth a bit. wtf.

The absurdity of this is just amazing to me.. You'd think they'd realize pretty quickly that given the fact the 'witches' aren't resisting magically that they aren't in fact witches...

Members of the Wiccan Outreach Association take note: this year's retreat to rural Kenya might be a bad idea.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I'm not watching it but I read something about one african country's president starting a witch hunt after his aunt died. Sadness.

Karim

TRIBE Member
It didn't help that when the pope visited Africa he publicly denounced witch craft which further fueled the hate.

ila

TRIBE Member
The absurdity of this is just amazing to me.. You'd think they'd realize pretty quickly that given the fact the 'witches' aren't resisting magically that they aren't in fact witches...

yeah, the depth of their ignorance is frustrating. I remember getting really pissed off when learning about the Salem witch hunt in school. Like, you couldn't be sure someone wasn't a witch until they were dead. The only test was to actually kill them, by way of drowning or burning, and if they died, they were innocent. If they lived - definitely a witch, so better kill them again.

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
I lived in Tanzania for a while a few years back. I was surprised to find out that there's a real paranoia about black magic and spells being cast on people as well as some fear of witches. A few years before I had moved into the house I was staying at there, some things had been stolen from the house. The owner got everyone together that could've possibly been guilty and then brought in a witch doctor of some sort to scare the shit out of them. He basically said there would be a curse on whoever did it if they didn't fess up.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
despite their occasional appropriations of certain aboriginal styles, I betcha Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel are puking all over that vid

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
It didn't help that when the pope visited Africa he publicly denounced witch craft which further fueled the hate.

Does this coincide with The Pope's visit?

I think it's been going on long before that.

Recent article.

Selected commentary and quotes from jezebel.

...The Independent by Johann Hari who travels to Kenya and Tanzania to report on the problem of murdered elderly women and the ongoing practice of FGM and its side-effects. He starts in Tanzania, where the killing of supposed witches is widespread (and reminds Americans of our own origins).

Witch killings are a daily event in Sukumaland. The victims are almost invariably old women, living alone. These women are frightening anomalies here: they have a flicker of financial independence denied to all other females. It has to be stopped. "Of course witches must be killed!", Emanuel Swayer tells me, leaning forward. "They are witches!"

Many male villagers blame the vagaries and hardships of life on the elderly women in the community, who are them targeted for mutilation and death in a manner that just happens to dispose of examples of quasi-financial independence that might influence other women.

Sato [Magdalena Ndela] can remember when they came to kill her. "It happened in the night. I heard people opening the door without knocking," she says. "They shone a light in my face. I thought – what is happening? What can I do? That was when I felt the first cut into my body. I looked down and saw my hand was cut right off. Then they cut into the right one and it was hanging. Then I felt a blow against my head and I lost consciousness."

Sato tugs off her headscarf to show me the wounds. Her head is one long scar, and her ear is a twisted lump. Ever since the attack in 1995, her right eye has been weeping salt tears and pus. She mutters: "Now I can't do anything. I wasn't born like this. I can't do anything."

At least in Tanzania, there is an organization — called Maparece — that attempts to teach villagers of the actual causes of the problems them blame on widows. Its founder, Juliana Bernard, explains:

"Witch-hunting is the most extreme end of the extreme views towards women held by many men here. Women do the vast majority of the work. They build the houses, care for the children, and work in the fields. They work 24 hours a day – but they have nothing at the end of it. We are seen as the property of our husbands. Women are not allowed to decide anything about our own lives. We have no rights, no property, and no say. Widows are the exception – and that is why they are targeted. Anything bad is blamed on us, and we can't answer back. It ends with us being blamed even for disease and death."

Her program is simple: she eats with the supposed witches and survives. She provides them with chimneys for their wood-fired ovens that redirects the smoke from their eyes, reducing their bloodshot (and thus "witchy") appearance. She helps bring polio vaccines to villages, so that polio cannot be blamed on witches.

Caz

TRIBE Member
yeah, the depth of their ignorance is frustrating. I remember getting really pissed off when learning about the Salem witch hunt in school. Like, you couldn't be sure someone wasn't a witch until they were dead. The only test was to actually kill them, by way of drowning or burning, and if they died, they were innocent. If they lived - definitely a witch, so better kill them again.

Not to mention they made urine-pie, hoping that it would somehow identify witches when fed to a dog. Yeah.

praktik

TRIBE Member

Ya I think thats one of the more pernicious side-effects of believing in an afterlife: "Oh she was innocent? Guess she'll be happy in heaven then, and God will forgive us cause after all, we did it only in an effort to remove the satanic influence of witches from our god-fearing community..."

Not much discussed, I think this widespread belief in an afterlife was the reason for a lot of callous acts throughout man's history, up to and including today.

Stan

TRIBE Member
I don't think you can boil it down to something as simple as belief in an afterlife, so much as general superstition and ignorance.

why not

TRIBE Member
as far out and backwoods as this whole thing seems, abortion clinic bombings and gay bashings are kind of the same kind of thing (ie. using supernatural beliefs to justify horrific actions in the name of 'good')

Caz

TRIBE Member
I read an article about how they haven't been able to explain what the children were infected with to make them seem possessed (the event that sparked the trials). It went on to theorize that the elders put the children up to simply acting out in order to rid the town of undesirables. Fucked.