• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wisdom Teeth.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
ok, so I just had my top two wisdom teeth taken out, and MAN was that ever fun. The gas was soooooo much better than any other I'd ever tried. The real kicker though was that the dentist and his assistant were both total jokers. Honestly, I'd do it again some time. If only I had bottom wisdom teeth (stupid evolution!). If anyone ever needs their wisdom teeth taken out, I HIGHLY recommend Profiles Oral Surgery on Avenue rd. Ask for Albert.

oh, and percosets kick ass.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

slice

TRIBE Member
K... it's about that time.. i can feel my wisdom teeth slowly trying to poke through and it's killing me.

Does anyone know how much this procedure costs? I don't have insurance.. :(

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
it costs about $1400.00 for all four if you get put under, BUT....
you can save $450.00 or more if you remain awake and just take local anesthetics.
*the only one i have ever known to actually do this is my brother. but he is one tough son-of-a-bitch.

acheron

TRIBE Member
fuck that, the whole point of getting your wisdom teeth out (aside from getting them out) is to spend an afternoon floating on the breeze while a dental surgeon rearranges your face. It's the most fun you'll ever have on drugs, legally. Why pass that up?

Of course, you could ask your doctor to do the local option and you'll handle the hallucinogens...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
I stayed awake, and just had some freezing. It cost me 12 hundy for four.

But my Dentist was sweating and cursing trying to get one out so that was good to see him somewhat earning his money.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
You could try the U of T dental clinic. They have much lower prices since it’s a dental student doing the procedure, Im sure it’s supervised. Not sure if they do wisdom teeth extractions. Other thing that you could do is wait until they get really bad and go to a ER, if its deemed a risk to your overall health, it might be covered by OHIP. (Although I don't recommend that route)

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
^talk about trying to save a buck lol

I am in the same boat. Mine are ready to go, but I only have two. How much is it to remove two while getting knocked out?

also, has anyone had issues with insurance not covering the k.o. route (Genera Anest.)??

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
You don't always have to get your wisdom teeth out.
Sure they hurt growing in (remember when you were a baby? ha), but lots of people have room for their wisdom teeth and keep them in.

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
You don't always have to get your wisdom teeth out.
Sure they hurt growing in (remember when you were a baby? ha), but lots of people have room for their wisdom teeth and keep them in.

Ya your right, but I wouldn't wana risk my teeth getting all shifty. That would suck.

dyad

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:
you can save $450.00 or more if you remain awake and just take local anesthetics.
*the only one i have ever known to actually do this is my brother. but he is one tough son-of-a-bitch.

I did it without the k.o. It actually means for a faster recovery and less trauma.

they give you lots of valium on top of the local so its not like you care at the time.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
I'm still dealing with my dry socket from over a week ago. UGH!!! I'm so upset I have it & the dentist shrugged it off like it's not a big deal so hesitantly I went on antibiotics which have given me the worst & first yi. I'm supplementing it with homepathic remedies. Ruta is really good for tooth extractions as is Ledum for any post-surgery trauma.
One should never take out their wisdom teeth unless it's absolutely neccessary. It's something dentists push on us to make money and if they are not giving you a lot of trouble like Michelrish said leave them alone. Another tip is not to do all at once if you can, do one at a time. It's a severe shock to your system and that way you don't need to go under, which again is a battle with your body.

SJN

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:

I didn't get put under.
Local anaesthetic is all you need (unless there are complications expected) -- it was quick, totally painless, they gave me some Tylenol 3 for afterwards and I was at work the next day.
I have no idea how much it cost, since I had full insurance.

Most people don't get put under.

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
miss riot said:
It's something dentists push on us to make money.

It's funny because when my idiot of a dentist found out that I had only two, he snickerd, "Give him a 3rd one or 4". I was thinking, "What the hell crazy shit is that?". Obviously money hunger

G-FrEsH

TRIBE Promoter
this gave me the quivers...
dentist didn't give enough freeze... so when he he's gotta cut my tooth in half to get it out... I felt alot of it...I was scheduled for 2 to get taken out. But was only able to take one being taken out. I told him after that i really want to punch you in the face. He laughed. But he gave me more tylenol 3's. ahhhhhhhhhh

barkley

TRIBE Member
Some people really do need their wisdom teeth out - my mouth was too small for mine and the bottom two were impacted and had become infected (pretty nasty). In addition, because my mouth was too small for them they had started to push my other teeth together and my front bottom teeth were getting weak and bits were actually flaking off. When I was about 19 my dentist in the UK had said not to bother removing them (typical), and when I finally got to a dentist in Canada (once I had insurance) he was pretty horrified.

I didn't get knocked out - I had local anaesthetic + gas (wheee!) and it cost about $1000 to yank out the two impacted ones and two non-impacted ones (which are just charged as normal extractions). My recovery was pretty fast and I don't recall much pain or bruising, even though he really had to work at it to get the bottom two out!

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
same as barkley - my mouth was too small for more teeth, so i had to get them all out.

got 'em taken out two at a time, with local anesthetic. i can't be put under except in a hospital (possible major drama due to my muscular dystrophy), so my dentist just gave me lots and lots of local shots - especially for the impacted bottom ones. [so much so that my entire face up to my eyebrow froze for many many hours afterwards]

the grossest part was when i hard/felt them break the teeth up to remove them. nastiest thing i've ever heard.

i also can't take t-3s, so i got some really good shit. can't remember what it was called, but holy crap it worked well. t-3s suck ass.

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
I got it done when I was in grade 12.

Had all four of them taken out in one go. I had to get them out because my jaw was too small and it was causing some pain.

I just had local anesthetic done.

It wasn't FUN, but it wasn't OVERLY bad. The surgeon also had problems with pulling out one of my teeth and because my jaw was too small, he had a hard time getting into the back area. I didn't like the needles (but used to it as I had a lot of my baby teeth taken out because they wouldn't come out), and the sound of crunching in my head and the occasional HARD tugging was a little gross.

When I got home, I iced the SHIT out of my cheeks, and the next day my best friend was dragging me out to go rollerblading in the beaches to try to cheer me up. I cannot emphasize ENOUGH that spending a lot of time icing cheeks will TOTALLY reduce swelling.

The next few days was kinda neat with these big craters in your mouth where your teeth used to be and it felt SOOO nice to have all that extra space!

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
SpaceBabe said:
and the sound of crunching in my head and the occasional HARD tugging was a little gross.

Although ya, I can still hear the crunch they made in my head. Kinda still bothers me.

I sucked up the pain, and only took 1 Ibuprophen, and was shopping the next day

Easy peasy

Bean

TRIBE Member
djdeposit said:
^talk about trying to save a buck lol

I am in the same boat. Mine are ready to go, but I only have two. How much is it to remove two while getting knocked out?

also, has anyone had issues with insurance not covering the k.o. route (Genera Anest.)??

i had two removed (was completely knocked out) and it came to about $800 - $900.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
i had mine out about a month ago. i had all four out, and was put under. had gas prior to being put under to relax me as i'm a total nervous nelly. in total, the whole thing cost just over 1200 i think? of which most of my insurance covered.

everyone's experience with the removal is different. i had very little pain and no swelling whatsover (icing consistently for the 12 hours following really helped me avoid the chipmunk look). mostly i was just tired because i wasn't eating properly.

the gas was super fun and apparently i was quite retarded after coming out of the anesthetic. he he he:D

:)sarah